Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, first post here. I've been trying to find the right Cayman for a while now: low-ish miles, not way overpriced, and no hidden damage. I was hoping to get some advice on this purchase.

This car came up on CarMax about a week ago. I've read on this forum that some people have had good experiences both buying from CarMax and with the CarMax warranty. The AutoCheck shows that this vehicle was CPO'd back in early 2017. I have never purchased a car from CarMax, so would it still be recommended to get an independent inspection? They have a 7 day money back guarantee, so I guess I could have it inspected post purchase too. Thanks!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Seems to have few options other than 20" wheels (which I wouldn't want) and PDK. I'd look up the vin to see the options. I'd still get a Pre (or post) Purchase Inspection. If it's CPO, there might still be warranty and Porsche might fix something that a PPI would find that you might not be aware of. I think the CPO warranty transfers to the third owner, but please confirm.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Seems to have few options other than 20" wheels (which I wouldn't want) and PDK. I'd look up the vin to see the options. I'd still get a Pre (or post) Purchase Inspection. If it's CPO, there might still be warranty and Porsche might fix something that a PPI would find that you might not be aware of. I think the CPO warranty transfers to the third owner, but please confirm.
I agree. This appears to be VERY lightly optioned. Only thing I see is 20” , Nav and PDK. I think you could find more optioned car for about the same. This doesn’t have Xenon, heated seats (both a must in my opinion), power seats or auto climate. If those aren’t important that’s totally fine too but just be aware. Mine has power seats but I could take them or leave them. Headlights and heated seats? Totally different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Bare to the bone. I think it is a good entry level P car. I would find a good Indy to do a PPI and to do future repairs and maintenance. They start getting shop needy for up keep at this age.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
They start getting shop needy for up keep at this age.
Really!? That has not been my experience! At all! (Knock on wood) Maybe the PDK cars?? I dunno. I’ve been very pleased with mine at 25,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Really!? That has not been my experience! At all! (Knock on wood) Maybe the PDK cars?? I dunno. I’ve been very pleased with mine at 25,000 miles.

Mine neither. I have 63,000 km (about 40k miles) and no issues except for a warranty repaired aircon (hose fittings corroded). My mechanic, who drives an air cooled 911, calls it a tank.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It is a six year old car. It is a question on this car if major maintenance has been completed ($1000 plus at the stealership). Look at the problems and complaints section of this forum, others have not been as lucky. The five hundred dollar battery which may be due on this car and I hate to think what belt replacement/water pump replacement is going to cost even at an Indy.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
It is a six year old car. It is a question on this car if major maintenance has been completed ($1000 plus at the stealership). Look at the problems and complaints section of this forum, others have not been as lucky. The five hundred dollar battery which may be due on this car and I hate to think what belt replacement/water pump replacement is going to cost even at an Indy.
Well, there’s where I don’t worry. I do almost all of my own maintenance. Dealers do oil changes just so I don’t have to mess with old oil and the mess. Having said that, I am quickly becoming tired of doing it so I’ll just chalk it up the cost of ownership and knowing what I was getting into when I bought it.

But I can’t think of anything I’ve had to do, even while in warranty, except for typical service. I am pretty p!ssed about the headlights crazing and cracking. But THAT should have been caught by the service department before I was out of warranty.

Reactions: Indi

·
Registered
148 Posts
FWIW, got my 60k mile '13 Boxster (non-S) and it hasn't had anything major, but yes, I've been on top of any servicing. I'll note even the original battery is in (!!) which for sure I would change if I just acquired the car. up for sale on carsandbids.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I decided to buy a CarFax and unfortunately this car has had damage in the past in the rear. Attached a picture if anyone is curious.

I think I’ll keep searching to see if I can find a car with Xenon’s at least for a similar price. Thanks all for the advice!

On another note, anyone have input on Boxster vs. Cayman reliability? From what I found it’s said Boxster’s are less reliable, but they are almost the same car

Attachments

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I decided to buy a CarFax and unfortunately this car has had damage in the past in the rear. Attached a picture if anyone is curious.

I think I’ll keep searching to see if I can find a car with Xenon’s at least for a similar price. Thanks all for the advice!

On another note, anyone have input on Boxster vs. Cayman reliability? From what I found it’s said Boxster’s are less reliable, but they are almost the same car
Good call on the carfax. The Autocheck that carmax uses is not the best for getting history. But carfax isn’t always either. Never the less, good that you discovered this.

I have bought and sold cars with carmax for years but I will say, the pool is not nearly as good as it once was. I think the rising cost of new cars has people buying used more and consequently they are USED more than they used to be. I’ve shopped my local location several times in the last year or so and I’m amazed at the level of damage, wear and general filthiness of the inventory. It’s like carmax doesn’t even try to make them presentable but it seems they are rough to begin with.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I paid $237 for a porsche battery last month.

I had a local indy replace the drive belt for about $350.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I paid $237 for a porsche battery last month.

I had a local indy replace the drive belt for about $350.
Porsche OEM battery is about $400 ($355 plus shipping at Suncoast) and the reprogramming is $100. I bought the Bosch battery that is in the mid $200 range in NC which is same battery for the VW Passat. I did get phantom faults at start up every once in a while.

The OP should understand the expense of car can be high as they age. At six years old, higher maintenance and expensive non-warranted repairs will occur. There is no thing as a bargain Porsche.

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
I have not purchased from CarMax but friends I know have and things I've read on other websites have said they back their sales even cars under warranty the dealer refused to repair like a blown engine CarMax has covered the repair.
How much more is it with the warranty ?
Did you have the PPI done ?
Have you determine it's maintenance history ? Some of that should show up on the Carfax. Of course you will still have the maintenance costs. A Porsche will be able to see what been done by any Porsche dealer.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I bought a non Porsche Car from Carmax but the best answer is to talk to them directly. You have a week to return the car so a PPI should not be a problem. The standard warranty is 90 days. Beyond that period, you will pay for a used car extended warranty. I declined their warranty. For a Porsche, I doubt if it is bargain. Some Carfax reports have service dates and locations but some don't, I would call the servicing dealer if it is listed and ask if they have any records. The biggest down side of working with Carmax is the sales staff seems to know very little on what they are selling. So if have some questions about the car, you are on your own. I would rather buy a car from an individual or a CPO car from a Porsche dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree Mike. I think I am going that route of buying from either an individual with good service history or a CPO car. I’m not sure if I’m unlucky in my searches, but it seems like a fair amount of these cars have suspect history or repairs, regardless of dealership or individual sale. At this point I consider any car with a “sold at Auction” on the CarFax as a no go.

I saw a 2014 Cayman this past week with no accident record and decent maintenance history being sold by a McLaren dealership, yet there was clearly accident repair on right side where the panels didn’t line up. Sad...

Is it common for people to crash these cars?

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
So true; I rarely find a car salesrep who knows as much about a car as I do. And much of what they tell you is wrong.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I agree Mike. I think I am going that route of buying from either an individual with good service history or a CPO car. I’m not sure if I’m unlucky in my searches, but it seems like a fair amount of these cars have suspect history or repairs, regardless of dealership or individual sale. At this point I consider any car with a “sold at Auction” on the CarFax as a no go.

I saw a 2014 Cayman this past week with no accident record and decent maintenance history being sold by a McLaren dealership, yet there was clearly accident repair on right side where the panels didn’t line up. Sad...

Is it common for people to crash these cars?
Not in my experience. I used to be a fairly active PCA member and I only heard of two and both were totaled. That chapter had a lot Boxster/Cayman owners.

You may want to consider joining PCA to get better owner sales leads and search autotrader regularly. You may also consider a 718. It may be more expensive they are coming off leases.

·
Registered
120 Posts
So true; I rarely find a car salesrep who knows as much about a car as I do. And much of what they tell you is wrong.
Carmax seems to be worse because the amount of different makes that they sell, and most of their sales staff used to prior employees at Walmart or Lowes (not really car people).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Porsche OEM battery is about $400 ($355 plus shipping at Suncoast) and the reprogramming is $100. I bought the Bosch battery that is in the mid $200 range in NC which is same battery for the VW Passat. I did get phantom faults at start up every once in a while.

The OP should understand the expense of car can be high as they age. At six years old, higher maintenance and expensive non-warranted repairs will occur. There is no thing as a bargain Porsche.
I bought my battery from Sunsetporscheparts.com

It was $237 + 53 shipping. I didn't have to do any reprogramming.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts