Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
I bought my battery from Sunsetporscheparts.com

It was $237 + 53 shipping. I didn't have to do any reprogramming.
By the book, the ECU needs to reinitialized when a battery is replaced. Thanks to the stop-start technology foolishness. Late model BMWs have the same crap. You can get some "funnies/ non-sense" faults on start-up. I did experience them, airbag malfunction and head lamp faulty flashes. Maybe you were lucky. You can search the forum, if you are curious.

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Yes I remember buying a new BMW 135i at the dealer and them charging the battery and having to do a "programing update" as they called it before I could drive home.
I think it was for the battery which gave you a CEL if didn't leave it pulled into a charger or didn't drive it enough.
I've wondered why I didn't have to reinitialized after installing a new battery from Walmart in my Porsche when everyone was saying you have to do this. I understand now. It didn't have stop-start technology foolishness. Lucky me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my Cayman at a Carmax and bought their extended warranty. At one point the car started misfiring so my first thoughts were either spark plugs or a coil pack went out. After taking it back to the dealer they found to be a coil pack on cylinder 5 so they went ahead and replaced all 6 just to be safe which I thought it was nice. So far that has been the only issue I had on my car and currently it has 63k miles and I bought it with 52k.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought my 2013 Boxster S 981 with 28,000 miles from CarMax in early 2017. I also bought the extended Service Contract, which I haven't yet had to use. TLDR; 1) Very easy transaction. 2) They know f'all about Porsches. 3) my CarMax store was very stand-up about a follow up problem, which they resolved. 4) price was about 8 to 10K below a Porsche CPO dealer sale for a similarly equipped car before the service contract was added in.

Because of the "5-day Money-Back Guarantee", I had a post-purchase inspection done at a local Porsche independent shop. The car was in fabulous condition, although CarMax had overfilled the oil when they did their acquisition service. I had the independant shop do a complete oil drain/refill on the car and CarMax reimbursed me for the expense. I also had the car shipped in to my local store from out of state. That process took about 10 days. Local CarMax salesman called me when the car was ready to inspect/drive. Once I examined the car, it was pay or play. If I hadn't bought the car right then and there, it would have gone right back on-line for sale. So, I didn't have any time to "think about it" lest someone else would be able to put a hold on it. I think it's a toss up re. price between CarMax with a service contract and a Porsche CPO dealer car. I might have saved 4 or 5 grand at CarMax but, then I still don't have a relationship with a local Porsche dealership (for better or worse). I think, for me, it was really more about finding the car I really, really liked. Porsche makes so damm many variations that it takes a while to locate the care you desire. It took me over a year, although I got EXACTLY the car I wanted.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
For what it’s worth for your first Porsche I recommend buying CPO. They only CPO cars that have been properly serviced by Porsche, not some random car shops that may or may not know these cars. I think they have some criteria about number of owners as well. Mine had one owner, serviced by the dealership I bought the car from. They gave me all the service records which I looked over closely before purchasing. The dealership also measured the paint depth to see if any sections were repainted.
On top of that you get the remainder of any warrantee and two more years in addition to that.
I bought my first two Porsche’s new but after this CPO experience I’ll probably do CPO in the future. The downside is that if you are looking for a large set of options it may take a while to find your perfect car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
LorenzoD, please note if you buy a CPO Porsche from a non Porsche dealer the CPO warranty is void.

This from Porsche.com......"If this vehicle is traded to a non-authorized Porsche dealer or broker for resale purposes, the Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty is void."

·
Registered
'07 Cayman 'S'
73 Posts
I paid $237 for a porsche battery last month.

I had a local indy replace the drive belt for about $350.
I purchased a comparable Duralast 94R-H7-AGM battery from Autozone for $222., installed it at home. Kept a small Oddessey 12 volt battery connected to the battery cables to keep the computers awake during the process.

I realize that there are some folks who don't feel like getting their hands dirty, but I don't mind it. I have easily changed all the fluids at home. I also purchased a serpentine belt, an AOS, sparky plugs & coil packs and will change all of those myself as well. Brake pad replacements are easy too ... just have the old rotors machined (if time allows), or if not, have some new rotors handy for a quicker turnaround.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Seems to have few options other than 20" wheels (which I wouldn't want) and PDK. I'd look up the vin to see the options. I'd still get a Pre (or post) Purchase Inspection. If it's CPO, there might still be warranty and Porsche might fix something that a PPI would find that you might not be aware of. I think the CPO warranty transfers to the third owner, but please confirm.
Once a CPO car leaves the Porsche network, the warranty goes ba-bye.

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
You can't machine Porsche rotors; replacement only option

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Once a CPO car leaves the Porsche network, the warranty goes ba-bye.
I don’t know what you mean by leaving the Porsche network.

You can certainly do your own oil changes by law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Meaning the car is sold by or to a non Porsche dealer

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Meaning the car is sold by or to a non Porsche dealer
Ah, ok, yes, they want that traceability and, obviously, want to provide incentive for people to buy and sell with Porsche. I see that as a positive because the CPO cars will come from people who have a strong relationship with a local dealer (like me). Of course that means CPO cars are going to be a bit more $ but we all have options.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all, first post here. I've been trying to find the right Cayman for a while now: low-ish miles, not way overpriced, and no hidden damage. I was hoping to get some advice on this purchase.

This car came up on CarMax about a week ago. I've read on this forum that some people have had good experiences both buying from CarMax and with the CarMax warranty. The AutoCheck shows that this vehicle was CPO'd back in early 2017. I have never purchased a car from CarMax, so would it still be recommended to get an independent inspection? They have a 7 day money back guarantee, so I guess I could have it inspected post purchase too. Thanks!

My 2 cents......
I believe there is a reason why some cars are for sale at CarMax.
They seem to be cars that are not wanted by others, including dealerships.
As I understand, dealers will often sell cars at auction when they do not want to deal with existing issues.
Those vehicles are then picked up by CarMax.
I've also learned that, not only does CarMax have their own repair facilities, but those facilities include autobody repair services.
I've been to several CarMax locations and noticed a similar trend.
Cars seem to be touched-up to some extent.
My experience comes from my family buying 2 cars, one of which was returned. The returned vehicle had been in a front crash and repaired poorly -after closer inspection at home by me. The second vehicle I still own, and have had for over 6 years. The unfortunate part is that after many years, I discovered, that, while in the hands of the previous owner, or perhaps CarMax, the car had been abused. Using my Durametric tool, I discovered that the car had been over-revved several times. Although the car has had zeros issues, my ability to sell this car has become difficult as I would have to disclose that information to the next P buyer, regardless of how well the car performs.
I had a similar experience while searching for a Mini for my wife; paint and body repairs galore.
Beware!
There's a phrase... "Max Attack!"
It's when you know you have a serious problem with your car, and you take it to CarMax to sell it off.
I first heard this phrase from Jake Raby and his IMS stories.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's my opinion on this car and Carmax.

I bought an E36 M3 from them a long time ago, had a couple issues early on they sorted out between BMW and themselves. Car needed standard maintenance and typical common wear items were all due when they were due like anyone else. No deviations, never felt like I got a lemon or something.

My current car (base 981 Cayman) was turned into Carmax. Carmax sold it to another dealer, that dealer put it Auction, then it was bought by another dealer and auctioned again. I bought that car from that auction. It was a perfectly optioned 981, and I ran all the research, the car was taken care of by a Porsche dealer for nearly every service (all on time and recommended ones done), nothing glossed over. I'm super happy with it. My guess is Carmax auctioned it due to it being high mileage and I think it was too much of a deviation for any dealer to sell. Car was literally perfect in every way at 75k.

I actually did look at a 981 Cayman at Carmax, I found that the door was not original but they'll still sell it since it wasn't salvaged. You gotta do your research.

Now for this particular Black Cayman, it has the right wheels and that's about it. If you're a taller person, memory seats are amazing. When the steering wheel and seats don't automatically adjust, it's way harder to ingress and egress into the car. I didn't think it would matter so much until I experienced it in my car. Personally, I was only looking for a manual car with ideally the 20" Carrera S wheels. Those were my only hard wants. I came to appreciate the memory seats. I don't care about the nav unit or the speaker system as much.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts