Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as I can find - the suspension options for the boxster/cayman are somewhat limited. Porsches standard or electrically (PASM) adjustable damping seem to be the stock choices. The aftermarket seems to be coil-overs and perhaps some manual adjustment for the ride-height/preload on the springs and perhaps compression damping..

I'm just curious is there would be interest in fully electrically adjustable suspension - with the capability of changing compression or rebound damping, or spring pre-loads on the fly?

The reason I'm asking - a friend owns a suspension company and has several captive vendors that build suspension to his specification - for motorcycles. The basics of suspension are the same, bikes and cars - and if a market could be demonstrated for high capability aftermarket suspension perhaps I could encourage him to see what can be done. He does own 2 Porsches.. I was thinking the 987 boxster/Cayman up to the current series, and perhaps the 996/997 911 series cars. The suspension is similar enough on stock vehicles that a limited range of designs could probably work with multiple years/models.

Sound interesting? I can't imagine it being cheap, especially since the electronics for it would have to be designed as a kit that incorporates all the controls and actuators on the shocks. A price of $8,000/vehicle might be in the ballpark.

Anyone? And of course if this already exists - please point me to it..

·
Registered
293 Posts
For PASM, there is something like this already from TPC Racing. Check out their DSC Sport controller that replaces the stock PASM controller. I have this and it really transforms the handling. Now, if you can make a higher performance replacement PASM shock/strut that would be a nice option. Right now it's either the stock Bilsteins or the Damptronic fully adjustable version.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Now, if you can make a higher performance replacement PASM shock/strut that would be a nice option.
TPC makes the Tractive struts. They are like the stock PASM but much faster (20 times more + I think) and more dynamic range.... I think about $8K. Must be paired with the DSC controller.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to look at what TPC is offering. Sounds like they have some of the features I'd love to see.

Electrically adjustable preload for the springs though - I don't know of any car shock manufacturer who offers that except with using air-shocks, and that gets complicated.. I'm thinking about the capabilities my Cayenne has with PASM - not only is damping adjustable but ride height (preload if it was done with steel springs) is also. It's a nice feature, and could help relieve some of the perceived harshness the Boxster suspension has, while still offering the capability to put it into a race suspension configuration with the touch of a button.

Thanks all for the feedback!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts