Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new the the forum! I'm considering pulling the trigger on a 981 BS this weekend. I haven't seen the car in person yet. Its a late production month 2013 with around 30K miles and is still under factory warranty for another 8 months or so. Car is not a CPO. From what I've read it seems like these cars are pretty reliable.

Anything in particular to the 981 that I should look out when I see/test drive the car?

Also, what do you guys think about getting a PPI, considering that it is still under factory warranty?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hey guys, new the the forum! I'm considering pulling the trigger on a 981 BS this weekend. I haven't seen the car in person yet. Its a late production month 2013 with around 30K miles and is still under factory warranty for another 8 months or so. Car is not a CPO. From what I've read it seems like these cars are pretty reliable.

Anything in particular to the 981 that I should look out when I see/test drive the car?

Also, what do you guys think about getting a PPI, considering that it is still under factory warranty?
With only 8 months of warranty left and no cpo, I'd definitely get a PPI.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts

If good service records are available and if the dealer will agree to CPO it if you press them on the subject, then no, I wouldn't bother with paying for an independent PPI. Not too many dramatic failures have been seen on 981s but even the small stuff will cost you $$$.

E.g., watch out for warping at the top of the door panels, as it will be expensive to fix if you're the one who gets stuck with the bill.

If the dealer will not agree to CPO it, find out why.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
The 981 has been a reliable car, with no major issues I'm aware of. Buy one like you would any used car ... get the service records, look for body damage or repairs, unusual wear, etc. These are really good cars.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I purchased a 2013 BS back in Oct. last year from a private seller. It had 19K and had all service records. So far it has been very reliable. Few warranty items were done. One was the visor clip that broke. Another is the sealant along the windshield is melting and the dealer has agreed to replace the whole windshield. It is going to be done next Tuesday. I do my own maintenance so I have changed the engine oil, manual tranny fluid, and bled the brakes since I got the car. No way I am going to pay $350 for an oil change at the dealer. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
If good service records are available and if the dealer will agree to CPO it if you press them on the subject, then no, I wouldn't bother with paying for an independent PPI. Not too many dramatic failures have been seen on 981s but even the small stuff will cost you $$$.

E.g., watch out for warping at the top of the door panels, as it will be expensive to fix if you're the one who gets stuck with the bill.

Dealer might want to do an inspection (which would be a good proxy for a PPI) so they know what would have to be done to CPO it. There could be nothing wrong with the car, but if had new non-N spec tires they would have to be replaced for CPO. Brakes could be just under the threshold and need to be redone, as another example of something that might normally prevent a dealer from CPOing a car. I'd get them to inspect it and give you a report stating what it would take to CPO it.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I think you'd get better feedback if you listed the particulars of this car. Personally I would post a link to the add or the dealer website.

I personally wouldn't buy a German car that wasn't warranted or CPO but if you decide this is the car for you I'd absolutely get a PPI done.

I looked on the Porsche Pre-Owned Car Locator and there's 16 2013 BS's for sale, 13 of them are CPO.

Good luck in your search and I hope you find the right car.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Even if a car was CPO and warrantied for the next four years, I'd still get a PPI. You're making a substantial investment -- a $200 PPI is worth peace of mind at the very least. And make sure they do paint thickness readouts.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

PPI is not only to check what is broken but also tells you what to needs changing in the future. Cheapen out on $200-400 dollars for a PPI is a potential for trouble. CPO cost money so some dealers might not want to do it and if it's not a Porsche dealership, it can't be CPO'ed. But if the dealer doesn't allow you to take it for a PPI, I would pass on the car.

Even if a car was CPO and warrantied for the next four years, I'd still get a PPI. You're making a substantial investment -- a $200 PPI is worth peace of mind at the very least. And make sure they do paint thickness readouts.
+981, not sure why people want to cheapen out on a few hundred bucks when you are spending tens of thousands on a car.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've owned my 2014 Cayman now for 3 months and so far so good. It's a trusty daily driver. I would have no real worries about purchasing the said car but would get an independent PPI done as suggested. Have fun!

·
Registered
832 Posts
I don't know about where you live but here my dealer would not do a PPI for cars sold outside of Porsche dealers. They will of course do services at which they do a full inspection of the mechanicals, but not the cosmetics. Check on the service minder what services are due now and what is coming up. If service was done recently then ask to see all paperwork. If the seller does not have the paperwork then ask them to get it. Only the current owner is able to get service records. If the car has an upcoming service i.e. within 6 months then have the seller get the service done early. You can either negotiate this into the buy or agree to pay full if the car passes all checks. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
+981, not sure why people want to cheapen out on a few hundred bucks when you are spending tens of thousands on a car.
If we were talking vintage Ferraris or something, I'd agree. But the few common issues that have been reported over the years are things that are either obvious at a glance (door panels) or will not be found by even the most rigorous PPI (intermittent ignition coils).

A paint-thickness test might be worthwhile, but I believe the dealer will do that as part of their CPO inspection. Likewise, you'd probably want to know what undocumented aftermarket accessories a previous owner might have installed, and the dealer should be able to tell you that as well without paying a third party.

Beyond that... no suspicious PIWIS codes, no problem, party on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.