Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty set on getting an MT Boxster and went to test drive some this weekend. The dealer I visited only had PDKs so I tried one and liked it. It was quick and fun to play with the manual mode. However, I think I'd still rather have a manual though could maybe be swayed given how good the PDK is. I'm wondering if any other manual trans drivers made the switch to PDK and if so any regrets?

Cheers,
Fliz

·
Registered
203 Posts
My 2014 Cayman was a MT. I also had a 2014 Boxster. that one was a PDK. I just got a 2017 Cayman and one of my must haves was PDK. If i was ONLY going to use the car as a weekend mountain car, MT would be great. But as a daily....PDK all the way, no second thoughts about it. the PDK is flawless. Some people just feel more connected with a MT though and i get that. I just dont want to be that connected while sitting in traffic :)

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I switched to PDK in my 2014BS from my 2001 BS 6-speed. Also have my '71 914 5-speed. The '14 is my DD. PDK with ACC is fantastic for slow and go freeway traffic. Also for high-cognitive-load situations. If you get PDK you also want Sport-Chrono for Sport+. So, it ain't cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: fliz and swessels

·
Registered
6 Posts
I learned to drive in my dad’s 1977 stick shift MGB.
First car was a manual 1976 280z.
All my cars thereafter and including my first Porsche (01’ Boxster) had a MT.
When I bought my 2011 Cayman with all the goodies, my only hesitation was that it had a PDK.
I really thought I’d miss the connection/feedback of rowing the gears.
I now have a 718 Cayman S, and my number one option was that it had to have PDK.
I drive it ~90% in manual mode using the paddles.
No regrets.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've gone back and forth between PDK equipped cars and sticks. I find that anytime I have a PDK I marvel at its efficiency and then over time I miss my stick. OTOH there is a substantial performance difference between the 718S with and without PDK, so my conclusion is........I love them both for different reasons.

Glad I could help :crazy:

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
If you set the technical and performance prowess of the PDK aside you'll note that driving wise the PDK is just like any other manually controlled automatic. I suspect if you evaluate it this way the choice might be slightly easier. If you're driving is such that an auto makes sense you'll likely love it. On the other hand if you like running a manual on backroads during the weekends there may be regrets...

·
Registered
297 Posts
If you get stuck in traffic a lot a PDK is way to go but if you can choose where and when you drive, like me, the manual is way more engaging than an automatic. There are already legendary long threads on this topic, which has been more than beaten to death (i.e. PDK vs. manual).

Reactions: fliz

·
Registered
268 Posts
For me the advantage of a manual was in the ability to control the car's response by choosing the rev range that was appropriate for what I wanted to do in the near future. I could see a hill coming, a passing opportunity, a corner that required slowing and then accelerating, and I had the control. The down side was the boring clutch and gear-shifting when that wasn't necessary--e.g.: in traffic or just around town.

The readily available torque of the 718 and the seamless auto-shift, as well as the ability to shift manually, even in auto mode, made PDK the easy choice for me.

Of course, YMMV.

Greg

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I see-saw between preferring a manual and really liking PDK. Daily.

·
Registered
728 Posts
As a daily driver, PDK would be a huge convenience while stuck in traffic.
My 6MT is a weekend toy, and as such I don't go looking for traffic jams :drivingskid:

·
Registered
202 Posts
PDK is a very good MT without the clutch and an excellent Automatic.

Having recently driven a manual 991 GTS I thought it was great.

If I had the money I would get one of each. Since I don't I have PDK without complaint.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I got PDK for the track and it is great, way quicker than I could ever be and uncanny at being in the right gear all the time. I use the paddles on the road unless I am in heavy traffic. To me there is little difference between paddles and a floor shifter. They both do the same thing, except you don't have to take your hand of the wheel to use the paddles.

If so inclined, PDK is also great for left foot braking. After all, your left foot should be doing something!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I prefer MT on slower NA cars which I can drive on a slow and relaxed sunday afternoon.
For my sports cars and super cars I prefer double clutch if possible and the PDK is the best of the bunch.
If you want to extract every ounce of speed from your 718, go for the PDK.
If you want a more relaxed, but engaging drive, go for the manual.
At the end of the day its our car and your money.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Great advice from previous posts. Namely : track competition and traffic = PDK all the way. Fun driving on road or track = MT.

My driving falls flat in the middle of the second situation, so I got MT. I go to the track to have fun and nothing else. After all, if I had any talent to drive, I wouldn't have bought my 981 Cayman S - it would have been a signing bonus on a contract with racing team. ;)

Likewise, I never go from A to B in my 981 - which means I can chose roads and time when I drive. So, for me MT was the most logical choice.

Ultimately, I do not use machines to do something I know how to do in my sleep. How many of you use calculator to multiply 12*8 ? For me, answer is never. Same with shifting gears. By the way, my DD is MT as well, but I am not frustrated to use it in traffic as I am when I meet some cars in front of me with 981. This just to say to OP that the worst part of driving in traffic with 981 is not heavier clutch, but the constant short shifting in order to avoid rear-ending people in the front of you. After 2 miles of that, if you listen carefully, you can almost hear the car suffering and begging you to take it the heck out of there and somewhere it can run and breathe :)

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
If you daily it with a lot of traffic, PDK is probably your best choice. I brought my BS with PDK thinking my wife will drive it but after 3 years of ownership and she's only driven it twice. I wished I had purchased a MT. My drive to and from work are local roads with some traffic so MT doesn't bother me. I drive it a couple of times a week, I rotate between the 997 which is MT and it's always more enjoyable rowing the gears after I get out of the BS. The ideal would be to drive the BS top down whilst rowing gears. If I want to drive an automatic, I just hop into my Acura MDX.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
PDK is the way to go for almost every use case. For a low horsepower car like the 2.7L, it squeezes the most out of it closing the gap on a 3.4L 6MT. For the 718 turbo cars and 991.2, always being in gear helps keep the turbos sorted and spinning full tilt. In a crazy horsepower car like a 2018 GT3, I don't think I'd want to botch a shift at 8500 RPM or even earlier at full torque - you'll destroy the clutch prematurely.

PDK is a new human interface to a manual transmission, which can be manipulated for upshift or downshift all with careful movement of your right foot.

My Audi is 6MT and the weakest part of the car is the fragile aftermarket clutch (and the fragile OEM clutch).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rickyb and fliz

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I'm pretty set on getting an MT Boxster and went to test drive some this weekend. The dealer I visited only had PDKs so I tried one and liked it. It was quick and fun to play with the manual mode. However, I think I'd still rather have a manual though could maybe be swayed given how good the PDK is. I'm wondering if any other manual trans drivers made the switch to PDK and if so any regrets?

Cheers,
Fliz
My last 4 Boxsters have been MT cars, the next will too (if they come up with something I like), this is not to knock the PDK, how can you, but it is a different experience, if you drive regularly in traffic grid lock then go PDK but if not...

I think that what Andreas Preuninger (Director of Porsche GT Projects) said about the 2018 GT3 apply to the Boxster just as well: " If you want a drivers car, a fun car, take the manual..." :cool:

Reactions: ottobon100 and fliz

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Excellent feedback folks, thanks!

I don't spend a huge amount of time in heavy traffic and probably won't track or autocross the car (much). Plus, my gut still says manual so I think I've decided :)
In the end it's the gut that rules. I love MTs but it's hard to justify it over PDK, if costs aren't considered. My wife loves MTs, but I talked her into buying an S8 with an automatic. She has a 45 minute commute with lots of stop and go traffic. So I thought an auto was a no-brainer. Big mistake on my part, and I pay the price at least once a week when I have to listen to my wife whine about how much she hates her automatic. Her left ankle is now hurting and she's convinced it's because she doesn't get to exercise it any longer since her car doesn't have a clutch pedal. And of course all this is my fault.
So lesson learned: never try to convince a driver about transmission choice. ;)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Excellent feedback folks, thanks!

I don't spend a huge amount of time in heavy traffic and probably won't track or autocross the car (much). Plus, my gut still says manual so I think I've decided :)
Yes, follow your gut, you will be happy with the MT.

Reactions: Petey G and fliz
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.