Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how many people mix front and rear pad compounds/vendors. Personally, I like the Ferodo pads and after running DS1.11 but now use DS3.12 - I like both. But my conundrum is that the rear pads wear much slower (2X) the time. I have a new set of fronts but the rears are ready for a change. I recently got a great deal on some Hawk DTC-60 pads and was thinking I would just try them on the rear first. The DTC60 has a similar friction/temp curve as the Ferodo's but seems to fall between the DS1.11 and DS3.12. Heck, I am more than happy to try out the Pagid yellows this time around. Informative comments are appreciated and as always stay safe.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was wondering how many people mix front and rear pad compounds/vendors. Personally, I like the Ferodo pads and after running DS1.11 but now use DS3.12 - I like both. But my conundrum is that the rear pads wear much slower (2X) the time. I have a new set of fronts but the rears are ready for a change. I recently got a great deal on some Hawk DTC-60 pads and was thinking I would just try them on the rear first. The DTC60 has a similar friction/temp curve as the Ferodo's but seems to fall between the DS1.11 and DS3.12. Heck, I am more than happy to try out the Pagid yellows this time around. Informative comments are appreciated and as always stay safe.
I track my car about 30 day per year. For every two full front pad changes I have to change rears once. Typically, I use Ferodo 3.12 there lastest compound update. You get 10mm of pad on Ferodos, I change when wear gets to point for safety and do a full front or rear and occasionally a full four at same time

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
772 Posts
I think most people using Pagid pads use two different compounds - RSL-29 on front RS-14 on the rear. I also use different compounds front/rear on my E36 race car.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't really have much of an observation. I run Raybestos ST43 front and Ferodo DS1.11 rear. They seem to harmonize just fine.

·
Registered
34,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies. The prevailing thoughts are the front pads take the bulk of the hit so determining which pad is more subjective, whereas the rears (naive me) appear to stabilize the car in the braking zone. If I was fearless enough to go ledbette's route I would have a race car but my car is a semi-DD. I think I will go with lian981 and Boris as I have been very happy (confident) with my braking with the DS3.12. I will keep the Hawk's in my box in case I somehow get to the point where I need them at the track. Thanks, this helps a great deal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts