Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Any plans for a dyno run at Carb Connection in Kirkland this spring?

Anyone know if they still charge $75, group rate?

How much trouble is it to setup the mid-engine Cayman on the dyno?

Anyone know if there would be any differences in the readings, w/the Sport Chrono Package Plus, between the Normal vs. Sport settings. I read somewhere that the rev limiter changes a little between the two.

Thx

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Bruce just got new headers on - so he will be likely to go soon. I have nothing new to test... but would show up anyway.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
To let people know:

Carb Connection Prices:

As a group - $75 (I don't know how many is considered a group) They don't all have to be Porsche owners.

Individual - $148

While they have a lot of experience w/911's and such, they haven't seen a whole lot of Caymans and Boxsters come in for some reason. We've got to change that now, don't we? :D

I'm bringing my CS in tomorrow for a base run. ;)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Very much looking forward to heading up to Carb Connection in the next month or so to dyno my headers as Tomasz said. Alex runs a good shop there. To qualify for a group rate we need 5 people total. Or more accurately 5 total dyno runs, if someone installs a mod on site doing a before and after run it would count as 2, though that person also would need to pay 2x$75. I did this with my SRP last year.

Regarding Sport Chrono, if you have a flash that leaves it on all the time you I speculate you may see a slight increase in peak hp (1-2) since timing will not be pulled at upper RPMs. But throttle sensitivity plays no role in the dyno as 100% WOT is the same with or without SC engaged.

Also for normal SC like my car, after the first dyno run chrono/pasm/psm etc can no longer be engaged with the buttons as the car has thrown error codes relating to stationary front wheels. A check engine light for such is normal, driving around half a mile after the dyno the car will sort things out and re-enables that functionality.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very much looking forward to heading up to Carb Connection in the next month or so to dyno my headers as Tomasz said. Alex runs a good shop there. To qualify for a group rate we need 5 people total. Or more accurately 5 total dyno runs, if someone installs a mod on site doing a before and after run it would count as 2, though that person also would need to pay 2x$75. I did this with my SRP last year.

Regarding Sport Chrono, if you have a flash that leaves it on all the time you I speculate you may see a slight increase in peak hp (1-2) since timing will not be pulled at upper RPMs. But throttle sensitivity plays no role in the dyno as 100% WOT is the same with or without SC engaged.

Also for normal SC like my car, after the first dyno run chrono/pasm/psm etc can no longer be engaged with the buttons as the car has thrown error codes relating to stationary front wheels. A check engine light for such is normal, driving around half a mile after the dyno the car will sort things out and re-enables that functionality.
Did you do a Stock Base run on your CS before any mods, and if so, what did your's measure out, hp and torque?

Was it done on Carb Connection's Dyno?

Thx

·
Registered
976 Posts
Did you do a Stock Base run on your CS before any mods, and if so, what did your's measure out, hp and torque?

Was it done on Carb Connection's Dyno?

Thx

Yeah used their dyno for all stages of my mods. Wanted to eliminate as many variables as possible. Be sure to bring a thumb flash drive as they can give you your files in addition to the printout.

My stock base run came out around 275, which measured high for some reason. My dyno after my borla exhaust only showed about 10 hp over that, but its been proven to add around 20whp so I'd wager my car's actual base should have been around 265.

Setup on the dyno isn't too much trouble, they should have a Torx screwdriver handy that can take the engine cover off. I can't remember the T rating off hand. You may want something thin to help pry off the carpeted cover as well. Some places sell "trim removal tools" that can make it a breeze.

Do you have plans of adding modifications this spring/summer and would you be interested in getting a group of us NW guys to show up for a dyno day?

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeah used their dyno for all stages of my mods. Wanted to eliminate as many variables as possible. Be sure to bring a thumb flash drive as they can give you your files in addition to the printout.

My stock base run came out around 275, which measured high for some reason. My dyno after my borla exhaust only showed about 10 hp over that, but its been proven to add around 20whp so I'd wager my car's actual base should have been around 265.

Setup on the dyno isn't too much trouble, they should have a Torx screwdriver handy that can take the engine cover off. I can't remember the T rating off hand. You may want something thin to help pry off the carpeted cover as well. Some places sell "trim removal tools" that can make it a breeze.

Do you have plans of adding modifications this spring/summer and would you be interested in getting a group of us NW guys to show up for a dyno day?
Good idea for bringing a thumb drive.

I was planning on getting a cat back exhaust this spring until I found a nail in my tire. The tires were getting close to the wear marks anyway, and I was hoping to wait until late spring, early summer for them. It's just as well, since I can get a good run w/new tires. I had an alignment done Saturady at Barrier.

The Borla has been recommended to me. What size did you get, the 3 1/2 or 4 inch dia? Any benefit to either one? Any opinion about Remus?

Any opinions of that Softronic Software?

In the mean time I picked at one of those Dream1's. I was planning to give it a try and see what, if anything that it will do. Picked up a Sport Exhaust Tip for it.

It would be great to get together for a run, and meet fellow local owners. It doesn't have to be all Porsche of course.

So 275 HP at the wheels puts you at well over 323 hp at the engine doesn't it, taking into account an approx powertrain loss of 15%. Even 265 HP isn't bad, w/312 HP at the engine.

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
Gohack

Let us know if you are going to Carb Connection ,I have a Remus and Blitzkrieg has a Borla and Tomasz has a Fabspeed so you can have an oportunity to hear all the cool sounds .I like them all myself so it just comes down to your personal choice .I am always looking for a reason to drive to Seattle and get out of the house :) we could do a little tunnel driving !!! if Tomasz can keep up ....:taunt:

·
Registered
976 Posts
Re: Gohack

Good idea for bringing a thumb drive.
The Borla has been recommended to me. What size did you get, the 3 1/2 or 4 inch dia? Any benefit to either one? Any opinion about Remus?
I have the 4"and prefer the look, its just visual preference between the 2, the 4" fills the area completely the 3.5" are just a little bigger than the stock round sport tips. Both Borla and Remus sound great can't go wrong with either.

Any opinions of that Softronic Software?
Scott makes a solid product, though I am glad I went with my Borla first as you can hear and feel the gains. With any software its more of a stealth mod where only your foot know's theres a little something extra.

In the mean time I picked at one of those Dream1's. I was planning to give it a try and see what, if anything that it will do. Picked up a Sport Exhaust Tip for it.
Cool, I've been hoping to see one of those in person. Planning to dyno it as well to see performance gains?

So 275 HP at the wheels puts you at well over 323 hp at the engine doesn't it, taking into account an approx powertrain loss of 15%. Even 265 HP isn't bad, w/312 HP at the engine. .
Yeah thats why I am not confident 275 was accurate, engines from the factory can have more power than the quoted 295, but those kind of numbers on a stock car don't seem possible. I did have my car de-snorked at the time, but never really factored that in, it could account for a couple horsepower I guess.

It would be great to get together for a run, and meet fellow local owners. It doesn't have to be all Porsche of course.
Let us know if you are going to Carb Connection ,I have a Remus and Blitzkrieg has a Borla and Tomasz has a Fabspeed so you can have an oportunity to hear all the cool sounds .I like them all myself so it just comes down to your personal choice .I am always looking for a reason to drive to Seattle and get out of the house :) we could do a little tunnel driving !!! if Tomasz can keep up ....:taunt:
Maybe in the next month or so we could all meet up for a drive and depending on what people want to do either end up at XXX burger or Carb Connection for some dynos. As prodgers said meeting up with us you'd be able to get a good sampling of the exhausts.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well I got by Stock Base run done this morning and got 259.42 HP/222.32 Torque at the wheels, on a Dynojet Research Dyno.

At an approximate 15% power loss through the powertrain to the engine, the engine is putting out around 305.2 HP.

Fuel - Chevron 92 Octane, fresh oil change, wheel alignment, and brand new 19" Bridgestone RE050A tires.

Carb Conn is booked up for the next two Saturdays, but after that they are open, at the moment. So maybe sometime during the month of May perhaps?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Well I got by Stock Base run done this morning and got 259.42 HP/222.32 Torque at the wheels, on a Dynojet Research Dyno.

At an approximate 15% power loss through the powertrain to the engine, the engine is putting out around 305.2 HP.

Fuel - Chevron 92 Octane, fresh oil change, wheel alignment, and brand new 19" Bridgestone RE050A tires.

Carb Conn is booked up for the next two Saturdays, but after that they are open, at the moment. So maybe sometime during the month of May perhaps?

May would work for me, as long as not the weekend of the 22nd. Looks like you got a good baseline there. We should probably look to find a few more who want to dyno their cars so we can get the group rate.

I'd also be interested in a drive up north at some point. Probably would end up staying the night somewhere in Vancouver too.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got my Dream1 installed today, together w/the Sport Tip.

So far we have only have three people interested, including myself.

Anyone know anyone else who would be interested, or a non-Porsche owner perhaps?

If you know anyone who has any plans for mods, they should get a Stock Base run done for a comparison.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have a few guys I can ask, but in the past they didn't express much interest in having their cars put on the dyno. Will keep looking here periodically and updating with any others who are interested.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I would love to get back to the Dyno. What about this Saturday late afternoon? Lets say 3:00 PM?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'd like to get back there too, I think they close at like 2 or 3 on Saturdays though. I am planning to attend the Spyder release party at Barrier that day too.

If enough people wanted to go this saturday I could call them to see if they have availability in the morning then head to the launch party by 1 or so.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I can not do the AM. But I could do it afternoon if they wanted to stay open later...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.