Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved to a condo where I have an heated and well ventilated garage but no access to an electrical outlet. Can I just disconnect the battery for the winter?

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,841 Posts
IDK. But if you do, remember to place something to prevent the front trunk from latching so that you can open it to reinstall the battery.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
I did this last winter for the first time and had no issues this past spring. You may also want to roll down your windows slightly as the automatic slight open/close when you use the door will be off and the door won't shut correctly with the window all the way up. I place a piece of an old hockey stick (carbon fiber of course) in the hood catch mechanism so that the hood can't be shut accidentally. Somewhere I read that the ECU learning will be lost and that the car could have "learned" its way out of a very bad performing engine and it is actually possible that the car won't start in spring with the "default" learning. I don't know if that is true but something to think about. I always check for codes before I put mine to sleep for winter.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I assume this garage is a common area, not private. So you need to be sure someone doesn
't vandalize the open frunk or attempt to "do you a favor" by closing the unlatched lid. Were you planning on leaving the battery in place?

If, OTOH, it is a private space, you might be able to screw-in a power plug into the light bulb socket. All you'd need is a small battery maintainer.

Reactions: Westcoaster

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just moved to a condo where I have an heated and well ventilated garage but no access to an electrical outlet. Can I just disconnect the battery for the winter?
I have done exactly this for the previous two winters with zero issues in the spring. Hoping for the same results this coming spring after this 3rd winter of storage.

And yes, like the others suggested, crack the windows and do something that prvents the frunk from being closed. I use a thick rag, but you can be patriotic and take the hockey stick suggestion as well ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
it sounds like others have done this with no problem. I had a car once that had been disconnected for a while, and then needed to be driven for a while before it would pass smog. the ECU had to relearn some things.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i tied a small piece of string around the inside release handle in the frunk and placed so it could not be seem but easily reached with the lid closed, a carcover would also provide some additional protection from lurking eyes.
pull the string ,install the battery and be ready for the alarm... with a key to the drivers door....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts