Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my battery completely discharged because when I went to unlock it with the fob, it: started making weird noises, nothing on the interior was lighting except the emergency hazard button, and only the front side blinkers were blinking.

Have no idea what it was doing. And nothing I could do to get it to stop. Was nothing I could do so I just let it sit and now it seems completely dead. I hooked the battery up to a tender for the last 72 hours and still nothing. Completely dead.

Is it possible that the battery completely killed itself somehow? Or is there some weird restart procedure to kickstart it?

Here's exactly what happened:

Pressed the unlock fob and it sounded like it was unlocking, but the driver door wasn't opening. I decided to check the passenger door. When I pulled the handle on the passenger door, it didn't open, but that's when the noises started and the front side signals started blinking.

My best guess is I somehow circumvented the emergency battery protection mode and it got lower than that and ended up dying completely. I thought a battery tender would charge it back up, but no dice after 72 hours of charging, so I don't expect charging it for longer is going to do any good.

Anything else I should try? Should I try jumping it from my other vehicle? Would it even have the power to do so? The battery on my other car says its 480 amps and the Porsche's battery is 780.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I'm 2 days late to the thread but I have at least one or two thoughts.
1. I am not sure a battery tender has the "juice" to charge a dead battery, A full battery charger should probably be used.
2. The amperage is really a measure of the total capacity AFAIK. I would try the the 480 battery. If it's in the other car and that car is running, then I suspect it will jump the P car.

Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
832 Posts
The battery could have failed and if so it will not recharge.

There is a procedure spelled out in the owners manual on what needs to be done *before* and *after* replacing the battery.

Generally you want the ignition off and the key out of the ignition and all electrical loads turned off. IOWs, do to leave the headlights on when replacing the battery.

After the battery is replaced -- mind you pay close attention to the hook up steps and do not mix the positive and negative cables/terminals! -- before you start the car you should calibrate the E-gas system. Check your car's owner manual for how to do this, but the usual procedure is to turn the key to the on position. Do not turn the key to the start position. Keep your foot off the gas pedal through this procedure. Leave the key on for 60 seconds. After 60 seconds turn the key off. Leave the key off at least 10 seconds. After 10 seconds the E-Gas is calibrated.

The window limits have to be reset. To do this lower the window by pressing and holding the lower button. Once the window is completely down release the button and then raise the window by pressing and holding the raise button until the window is all the way up. Continue to hold the button for another 5 seconds. Done. Repeat for the other window.

Any special Komfort settings, seat/mirror settings memory contents, may be lost or forgotten and may have to be restored by a dealer and a proper diagnostic computer.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, guys! I ended up jumping it with the other car and all is well. It started right up and even all the settings were retained. No issues whatsoever!

Reactions: bybybmw
1 - 4 of 4 Posts