Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in the market to upgrade the suspension on my 07 base. I was all but ready to buy pss9's as soon as I sell a guitar, but I recently put on Joe Toth's new splitter, and I just don't think I'm going to be able to handle any more clearance issues with my driveway...and I'm in Houston, so there's always the chance of losing the whole damn car in a pothole.

So with that in mind, are there any options to improve my setup without losing at least an inch of ride height? I realize a lowered car is part of the improved feel.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
I don't know if there are any aftermarket higher rate springs around that don't lower the car. Might call one of the mfg.

Coil overs are usually height adjustable that being one of their benefits. I don't know if there is sufficient adjustment to keep stock height or not. Worth a couple phone calls.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
I think most aftermarket coilover setups drop the car by an inch before u get into fine tuning your wheel gap.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
jhthornley, that's what my research has shown, as well. I guess I'll need to make some calls. It would be fantastic if I could find something that was stock height maxed out, but would lower it significantly with adjustment.

May just have the ditch the splitter on daily driver days or look into the 2-piece that Joe just finished.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slowly upgrading this one to be as track friendly as a street-able setup goes. Doesn't necessarily have to be super comfortable, but I'll have it paid off next year and plan to start tracking it a good bit...don't really want to completely strip it for track only, though.

I wanted to buy something else so I could make this one a track car, but I just haven't found anything I like driving as much (I have a 50 mile commute). I bought a used c63 last month, but still mostly drive the cayman, haha. So I figured I'd modify it as much as I could but still leave the option to drive it daily if I want.

Realistically the solution will probably be a different splitter or re-grading the driveway.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been pondering this myself recently. So far favoring Eibach Pro Street coilovers - they seem to allow the least amount of lowering of the mainstream options. I've been told that MCS singles can be setup without too much drop as well, if you want to spend the money (in my experience dampers are the most important part of the suspension).

How many miles on the car? Since it's an '07 I'm guessing the shocks are getting a bit old. So, a pair of swaybars, fresh Bilsteins, and some camber adders would both add grip and improve response. While you are in there you could add some PASM springs for a very mild drop & spring rate increase.

[edit] I should add that I'm not 100% sure that you can mount PASM springs on non-PASM struts. That would need to be verified.

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,932 Posts
[edit] I should add that I'm not 100% sure that you can mount PASM springs on non-PASM struts. That would need to be verified.
You can. It is not an issue. Here are the rates:

Standard:

Front - 155 lb/in
Rear - 228 lb/in

PASM:

Front - 174 lb/in
Rear - 297 lb/in

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Swaybars and links are definitely getting done. Currently at 75k miles, so it's definitely time for a full overhaul.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Slowly upgrading this one to be as track friendly as a street-able setup goes. Doesn't necessarily have to be super comfortable, but I'll have it paid off next year and plan to start tracking it a good bit...don't really want to completely strip it for track only, though.

I wanted to buy something else so I could make this one a track car, but I just haven't found anything I like driving as much (I have a 50 mile commute). I bought a used c63 last month, but still mostly drive the cayman, haha. So I figured I'd modify it as much as I could but still leave the option to drive it daily if I want.

Realistically the solution will probably be a different splitter or re-grading the driveway.
You might have answered your own question. ��

Probably more cost effective to do the overhaul all at once and have the suspension tuned and aligned to your liking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts