Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am picking up my new to me 2009 Cayman 2.9L with PDK and want to know how I can get a little more power to it.

I am thinking about adding Sport Chrono software, is there anything better out there?

Would aftermarket exhaust make any noticeable difference?

Thanks!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Sport Chrono is a "must have" to get the most out of a PDK car IMO. It really wakes up the car and transforms it from a "gas saver always seeking 7th gear" to a proper sports car.

Two schools of thought on aftermarket performance mods.

The "tuner" will add headers, exhaust, and software to make the car louder, maybe add a little HP at the highest revs on a dyno sheet, and create a more visceral car experience. Will it be measurably faster? Not always but it will seem faster.

The seasoned track veteran will often do just suspension, alignment, and tires while seeking measurable improvements in lap times. The car will be significantly faster around a closed course or in the canyons.

Choose the path that best suits your personality and driving style.

·
Registered
580 Posts
If you put it in manual mode it doesn't seek anything. You control shifts.
Ummm, of course. :)

I drove the car for a year like that but missed out on a great deal of the PDK technology. With Sport Chrono you get ALL of the PDK benefits and improved PSM response envelope. This transforms the car to what it always should have been IMHO. If you love PDK without SC there is no reason to add it I suppose.

YMMV

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I picked up the car today and drove it for around 40 miles home in mix of city and highway driving.

I would love to improve throttle response. Its just lacking an extra something...

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
The sports chrono seem like a lot of money but it makes such a huge difference it is really worth it, I also thought of getting a paddle shift wheel , but the pdk works so well in sport mode I do not need it, I have the Cayman S and it feels slow without it being in sport mode.Some people have used sprint booster, it is really cheap and makes your gas pedal more responsive, but keeps the same bad shift points.I also thought of getting softronic software it is very similar to sport chrono I think, I am not as familiar with it, but it does not have modes always on, some like that you do not have to push a button every time you start your car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sports chrono seem like a lot of money but it makes such a huge difference it is really worth it, I also thought of getting a paddle shift wheel , but the pdk works so well in sport mode I do not need it, I have the Cayman S and it feels slow without it being in sport mode.Some people have used sprint booster, it is really cheap and makes your gas pedal more responsive, but keeps the same bad shift points.I also thought of getting softronic software it is very similar to sport chrono I think, I am not as familiar with it, but it does not have modes always on, some like that you do not have to push a button every time you start your car.
Sprint Booster seems like a good option, but I think it is discontinued by aFe. I am searching for part number 77-16401

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.