Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the misfortune of having my lower caliper bolt strip. I was using a torque wrench and I wasn't even near the torquing point when it failed. I think its because I change my pads too often (14 times over the last 7 track events). I've contacted a local shop that I use and they say it happens quite often. As my car is still under the CPO warranty, I was wondering if anyone had any luck convincing Porsche that this was a design flaw? I realize this is a shot in the dark but I figure I have nothing to lose. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
685 Posts
That is why I wanted to switch to studs to replace the bolts. Lower left knuckle stripped on the installation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
34,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Feel your pain, and for all those who read my previous posts again studs - mea culpa. Blew this big time. Its tempting to say its only for those who track and change pads but I would suggest changing to studs ASAP. I'm also considering this for my wheel bolts since they are starting to show signs of rounding.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Shortly after taking delivery of my GT4 four years ago I added wheel studs and Tarett Engineering brake caliper studs all around. No issues and makes tire changes faster/easier and no concerns about cross threading or stripping uprights. I also installed Spiegler flexible brake lines to simplify pad changes. All relatively inexpensive and highly recommended if you track your car (I.e. regular wheel and/or pad changes).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
526 Posts
There has been some discussion on caliper stud length in another post. Unless they have changed them, the studs recommended by Tarett for the 981 are a bit short. I went with one size longer and they work great. You might want to dig up that thread if you are contemplating purchase.

One other thing - go ahead and buy the studs for the wiring hardnesses. I didn't buy them and every time I change the front pads I really wish I did. Those bolts are a PITA to get inserted correctly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Speaking of which - has anybody heard of any recent deals (group buy or otherwise) on Tarett caliper studs?
I have a front set I removed when I upgraded brakes on my 14 Cayman S. They were installed on the car for 1 year and used for 6 track days. Both Tarett and ProSpeed (NASCAR brake provider) have the same stud protrusion beyond the nut FWIW.

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
So you are changing brakes twice for every event. What do you change track pads and back to street after ??

·
Registered
526 Posts
So you are changing brakes twice for every event. What do you change track pads and back to street after ??
The track pads I've used (Pagid RSL-29 or PFC-08) glaze and squeal like a stuck hog when you run them on the street. They need the heat. So, I swap pads before and after every event and also swap out my street/track tires.

It takes about 70 minutes to do a 4-wheel brake job.

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
I figured that but they don't have to squeal like that to be good track pads.
I'm sure you find pads that are fairly quiet. I haven't tracked in years but I stopped using Pagid for that reason.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts