Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[HR][/HR]Speed ventures is putting on a track day. I signed up because I thought it would be a good opportunity to sort out my 981.anybody else going? Could either drive up Friday afternoon and stay at the beautiful super8 or drive upearly Saturday morning. I need to be up here by 8 AM because I'm instructing with the beginners group. I live in Santa Barbara so it's 162 miles to the track for me about 2 1/2 hours road time. Carl

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I reserved garage number four if you decide to come up on Saturday your welcome to share, my treat. I miss our private events that Jack used to organize,12 cars. You knew everybody that you were running with. I hope this isn't one of those deals where you get a lot of guys .High on Testosterone and Low on commonsense and driving skills. Driving salvage title mustangs. Carl

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
I reserved garage number four if you decide to come up on Saturday your welcome to share, my treat. I miss our private events that Jack used to organize,12 cars. You knew everybody that you were running with. I hope this isn't one of those deals where you get a lot of guys .High on Testosterone and Low on commonsense and driving skills. Driving salvage title mustangs. Carl
Have been a member of Speedventures since the early 2000's. They have a lot of members from SoCal and some really fast folks in the advanced groups.

Don't expect an older/mature crowd, that is not really the market that Speedventures caters to based on the pricing for their events.

Aaron has been running Speedventures for a while, so he knows the in's and out's of how to run events without major incidents. (as always there will be an exception here or there).

If you want a more established crowd, with folks driving their expensive toys you probably want to run events with Hooked On Driving. (I personally avoid them given the price for their events and some past issues).

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have been a member of Speedventures since the early 2000's. They have a lot of members from SoCal and some really fast folks in the advanced groups.

Don't expect an older/mature crowd, that is not really the market that Speedventures caters to based on the pricing for their events.

Aaron has been running Speedventures for a while, so he knows the in's and out's of how to run events without major incidents. (as always there will be an exception here or there).

If you want a more established crowd, with folks driving their expensive toys you probably want to run events with Hooked On Driving. (I personally avoid them given the price for their events and some past issues).
I know Aaron and have run his events and instructed for him. The trick is to stay out of the run groups that have open passing with no point bys. We used to do private days at BW so I'm familiar with the track. I'm just courteous how the CS with X73 handles. All I did was max out the front camber F-1.6 R-1.8 toe F-0 R 1/16 . I'm also running 19s with MPSS. The best I've run on 13CW was 206:31 with my Exige S. Last time I was there I had a TTRS 212 .. Never tracked my 14 PASM CS or the 15. Carl

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
I know Aaron and have run his events and instructed for him. The trick is to stay out of the run groups that have open passing with no point bys. We used to do private days at BW so I'm familiar with the track. I'm just courteous how the CS with X73 handles. All I did was max out the front camber F-1.6 R-1.8 toe F-0 R 1/16 . I'm also running 19s with MPSS. The best I've run on 13CW was 206:31 with my Exige S. Last time I was there I had a TTRS 212 .. Never tracked my 14 PASM CS or the 15. Carl
Aaron is a good guy :cool:

Since you are also a long time rennlister, you might remember AW who had a 996GT2, Series 1 Exige-S (track only import from the UK) and a 996GT3 Cup Car. IIRC on 13CW he did a 2:00 on his Series 1 Exige-S using sticky tires . Given the resurfacing as well as the changes to the curbs over the years that laptime might be meaningless as a reference these days. BW 13CW in 2:06.31 with your Exige S with A048's or R888's seems like a good laptime.

I would guess a good laptime to shoot for with the 981 Cayman S with X73 and MPSS would be in the 2:10-2:13's range.

IIRC I read somewhere that you are planning to use XP10's for pads, that is what I use on my Cayman R whenever I track with NT01's on tracks that are not as hard on the brakes as Laguna. So hopefully you won't run into wheel lockup/ABS due to the relatively aggressive pad compound combined with the relatively lower grip of the MPSS's.

Have fun! :cheers:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Gonna Be at Willow Springs. Good luck!!

Are you going for the Day Away From Work on the 9th? I'll be there as well, and at the "Ground School" the night prior.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Carl,

SV events will never be like a Jack track day, unfortunately. Big groups, big disparity in cars and times, and long wait times between your sessions. On a positive note, SV does attempt to line you up by your previous sessions lap times so you don't really encounter too much traffic, as theoretically, the cars in front of you are slightly faster.

Peter

·
Registered
268 Posts
Are you going for the Day Away From Work on the 9th? I'll be there as well, and at the "Ground School" the night prior.
No - gonna be Saturday and Sunday with West Coast Racing. It's sponsored by Galpin Ford, $245 for the weekend, great group of people and TONS of exotics. Coming out of turn 9 in a pack with Ferraris, McClarens and Aston Martins is a real hoot!!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Carl,

SV events will never be like a Jack track day, unfortunately. Big groups, big disparity in cars and times, and long wait times between your sessions. On a positive note, SV does attempt to line you up by your previous sessions lap times so you don't really encounter too much traffic, as theoretically, the cars in front of you are slightly faster.

Peter
Peter, I'm really just curious to see how this car feels. I should have a build date on the GT 4by the end of the week.i'm assuming it will be delivered in August or September .i'm going to try to get up to spring mountain to visit Jack sometime in late March. Love the track but it's a long haul..thanks for the advice .carl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts