Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting a 1600 quote for a custom subwoofer (single 8) with amp and install....the basslink is like 250 plus install. Helluva price difference but not sure if the sound is going to be good enough. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
326 Posts
You might want to give us more information ... $1600 seems pretty steep for one sub and an amp, but of course it all depends on your system and what is included in that price.

I don't know about the sound of the Infinity Basslink, but I do wonder where you would put the thing. This isn't that small. It isn't going to fit under or behind the seats. Some people have put *other* mini-powered subs behind or under the seats, but I tried to do that with the smallest I could find (Blaupunkt THb-200a) and I wasn't happy because either the seat had to be raised or I would lose a lot of legroom. If I couldn't do it with the THb-200a, you sure couldn't do it with the Basslink. You could put it in the trunk but IMHO that would be a pretty ugly installation. I mean, you have a $50K car, IMHO it deserves a subwoofer that looks like it belongs in a $50K car.

Have you considered getting one of these? PORSCHE BOXSTER 911 996 997 CAYMAN SUB BOX SUBWOOFERBOX - eBay (item 350308453287 end time May-22-10 14:25:35 PDT)
or these:
Floor Box 1

An 8" sub could be had under $150, add the cost of one of these enclosures and your cost should be $500 or so. Disclaimer, I haven't tried them yet because (a) I would prefer something custom for the rear trunk, (b) I just spent all my wad on a new Pioneer nav system and added rear speakers, and (c) the upgrade from the base system I had is something like mindblowing already.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah the quote was for a custom fiberglass sub enclosure for the left hand side of the back storage area right where the blinker light access panel is. They are going to charge me $400 for the enclosure, $200 for an 8" sub, $4-500 for a good amp, and $400 and up for labor. This set-up should give me decent bass since I do enjoy the sound plus set-up (9 speakers?) with my alpine NAV HU with imprint. I was just missing that thump. Anyway I scoured for anything that can go under the seat and behind that should be decent like the Infinity Basslink and FOCAL's bus 25 but after talking to 4 installers it seems that the custom sub enclosure with the 8's is the best way to go. Ill just have to bite the bullet and spend the money for the sound that I want. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi -

I am new here but been browsing for a bit and originally had the same question as you. (Hi planet-9!)

I got the Infinity Basslink installed in a new-for-me 06 CS. I was looking for a quick fix that could be un-done as I am planning a proper custom install and did not want to mess around too much with the electronics.

Here in Toronto, I got this job done in 6 hours at Future Shop (owned by BestBuy). It was the last place I thought I would ever take this car but it worked out. I needed some bass that night to hear demos in the car. The technician had Porsche body work experience and was working there just to get some hours. I hung out with him and other staff as they talked and took pics, sat in the car and had some nice words to say. They ended up charging me $35 for the entire installation which was seamless and perfect. Their normal rate is $70/hr. The Infinity Basslink dual 10 inch powered sub was on clearance at the same place (must be discontinued?) for $199 with a scratched out price of $399. The other option was the bazooka tube which I did not even consider and also costs more. The Basslink also has a remote control that tucked nicely under the dash.

The audio tech said what ever is on clearance is costing the company money to keep, so I should go inside and make an offer. The manager gave it to me for $125. So...the total job was $160.

As far as sound goes, you will get that extra bump, and then some, that the stock Porsche system lacks and you might have to tighten a few screws to reduce rattle (heard mainly outside the car) but in terms of bang for the buck I did not see a better option. I am less eager to do a custom audio installation now.

Attached are some iphone pics that might help you get an idea of how it looks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts