Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to hear from PDK owners (if there are some).

Who owns a Porsche with PDK and absolutely loves it?

What do you love about it? Hopefully it's more than just because it's easier to drive in rush hour traffic. Do you like it from a performance standpoint?

Sorry if this question has been asked before. Nothing showed up.

:thanks:

·
On Probation
582 Posts
almost 5k on my 09 ....i,m too old to shift any more

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I've owned a lot of manual shift cars in the past, most were Porsches, and I switched to a PDK for my 09 CS. I also have Sport Chrono and PASM. I really like the total package. The only regret I have is not having LSD. I purchased mine from dealer stock and didn't think too much about it at the time.

On track it is a great transmission. You can leave it in Sport Plus and forget shifting. Some will say that it takes away from the experience of driving. That may be true but one thing it won't add to the experience is that checkbook 5-2 downshift when you were looking for 4th gear;)

Driving around town in traffic is a bonus for me to be able to just put it D or Sport. I tend to leave in Sport a great deal of the time.

If I were ordering another car today I'd get another PDK.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have just over 2800 miles and so far and I love the pdk. We had an Audi A3 with their version of the tranny and I like the Porsche much better.

Most who have owned the BMW trans seem to favor the P car too. I know a perfect rev-matching downshift at the right time is sweet.....but most days my line could be improved on . And my brake zone could be alot deeper,...and well....I can go to a few dozen more HPDS before bordom sets in. I have been to a couple dozen....maybe I am a slow learner..lol

My advice would be drive both ....then buy either.. but make sure it has lsd or plan to add one before track day.

Not that it really means anything, but I believe the new 911 Turbo S is only available with PDK. :cheers:

·
Registered
115 Posts
My car before the Cayman was an Audi R8 with a wonderful six speed gated manual box. Vroom! Clack! Vroom! Clack!... I don't mind stirring my own gears both for purism and for more 'personal' connection with the machine.

But I'd never give up my PDK! It talks to the lump at speeds and levels that Michael Schumacher could never attain. Always in the right gear in any situation. The side benefit of easier urban driving is a bonus too. If I was rebuying or special ordering a new Porsche the PDK option would be at the top of the list.:dance:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Almost 7300km on my PDK CS and I absoultely love it.

Shifts are so quick and I love having the convinence of leaving it in auto around traffic.

Manual is dead for me!

·
Registered
111 Posts
12,000 kms on my PDK. It's a great system and I would order it again, although I still appreciate the engagement of a manual shift (I have driven manuals all my life and have never liked automatic gearboxes). I still use the PDK more in manual mode because it is more fun; I use the D (automatic) mode to warm the car up and driving through urban areas or on the autoroute, but even then I find myself sometimes overriding the automatic function with the occasional manual downshift. Having both options, particularly with sport chrono, is great because they give the car different personalities for different occasions:
Get stuck in traffic? - D
Need to take the autoroute to get to that great road? - D
Wanna cruise and enjoy the scenery? - D
Had one glass too many of wine over lunch? - D (just kidding...)
Windy mountain road? - M with sport. This is what I use 70% of the time.
Really feel like pushing the car to the limit? - M (or D) with sport plus. 20% of the time.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
PDK is an incredible transmission. It is most certainly not a standard automatic. It's not just that shifts are instantaneous, and it's not that it's faster than a manual. It's the versatility of the transmission that does it the most credit. If you want to drive aggressively and shift yourself just switch to manual. Want to loaf along at low speeds, leave the gearbox to itself. Want aggressive shifting, manual or auto? Engage Sport. More aggressive and sporting? Sport Plus. PDK requires Sport Chrono and Porsche really should have made it standard w/ PDK. Finally, it's pointless to get bogged down in the manual vs. PDK argument. This has been beat to death by proponents defending their positions. If you must have a manual to satisfy your sports car requirements so be it. If you drive PDK and it fulfills your expectations you need no further justification or validation.

·
Registered
607 Posts
PDK is an incredible transmission. It is most certainly not a standard automatic. It's not just that shifts are instantaneous, and it's not that it's faster than a manual. It's the versatility of the transmission that does it the most credit. If you want to drive aggressively and shift yourself just switch to manual. Want to loaf along at low speeds, leave the gearbox to itself. Want aggressive shifting, manual or auto? Engage Sport. More aggressive and sporting? Sport Plus. PDK requires Sport Chrono and Porsche really should have made it standard w/ PDK.
Could not agree more... at least Porsche should make EVERY "S" car with PDK have the sport chrono option as standard. In getting my 997.2 S, you don't know how many cars I passed on that had a PDK, but no sport Chrono... really does make it more versatile for almost ALL driving conditions, you won't get bored of the car when it has 3 different characteristics to choose from.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I went to a Boxster S 09 PDK from a 07 5 Speed Boxster. I Love it, I almost never ride is automatic, Always in manual, it shift quick and your hands are always on the wheel, great if you drive aggressively.

I personally like the way the shifters are on the wheel and not paddles. I drove a BMW Z4 with Paddles and didn't like it. My only complaint would be I think the buttons are reversed. You push down to shift up and pull to down shift, it should be flipped, push down to downshift and pull up to shift down.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My only complaint would be I think the buttons are reversed. You push down to shift up and pull to down shift, it should be flipped, push down to downshift and pull up to shift down.
It's interesting there is no simple software reflash you could do to flip this.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Suncoast is having a few problems(new G.M., Ron, old G.M., gone with the wind, Henrroid Freebase, as well). I wouldn't let those guys touch YOUR car...
Brahman, Champion are less than 2 hours away. It's the truth.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Back to the OP topic. Took delivery of 2009 Cayman S with PDK, Sports Chrono Plus, no limited slip diff, on April 10th 2009. It has been a joy every day I drive it, now at 8,400 mi (~13,400km), and have not regretted the decision over a manual one minute.

Okay, does make stop-n-go in daily traffic easier, but when the roads open up the car moves and still handles like a champ. And in Sports mode or with the transmission switched to manual, it is a powerful beastie.

Eric (owner of eurocar-werk here in Houston) took her for a spin after he did my first oil change. He was still smiling when I got the car back from him that afternoon. "Very sweet."

·
Registered
76 Posts
My 09 M3 Has MDCT, there version of PDK, like the above I love it. My 06 CS is manual, and I love it. Can not compare the two like apples and oranges. I do think PDK, or MDCT will be the transmission of the future.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Have 6000 mi on Boxster S with PDK,six track days. My only regret is it does not have SCP. I use it in auto around town and love not having to shift in traffic and get better gas mileage. On interstates I leave it in auto, shifting to semi for the exit ramps etc. For track it is 100% manual.
Tried a AMG with paddle shifter and frankly I prefer the buttons. To keep life simple I use the right button for upshift and the left for downshift. I will not be changing to paddles.
Someday the PDK will be the only trans they offer IMO

·
Kestrel Racing
578 Posts
Anybody own and not love PDK?

Someday the PDK will be the only trans they offer IMO
Yeah, the same day Porsche finally makes LSD standard like it is on nearly every other car on the road these days... ;)

I enjoyed reading all the positive posts on PDK. I'm definitely in the "I like rowing my own gears" camp, but I can see the allure of PDK, particularly for aggressive/track driving where a perfect downshift is always welcome.

Anyone with PDK now thinking they made a mistake in not getting a manual? Or is there simply universal praise for the "gearbox of the future"?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts