Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking the first 24 hours mods once I receive my car must be:
1) 3M protection film for the bumper, frunk, front sides and doors along with the headlights.
2) ClearPlex for the windschield and glass roof.

I'm familiar with the first as I used it on my 987. Anybody used ClearPlex? Any other better alternatives?

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
I just got my car covered with Xpel Ultimate, and am waiting on a ClearPlex windshield (unfortunately my installer is out at present.) I am told it is an impressive product, but it doesn't last forever. I look forward to finding out just how long.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You did search the forums and/or articles for Clearplex didn't you?

You know maybe some topic like this one: http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-boxster-chat/6842-windshield-protection-film-soft-windshield.html?highlight=clearplex
When starting the thread, the subject revealed that ClearPlex was never used in a title on P9. After posting my message I came across the old thread where I found you recommended it. However the price now is double or triple what you paid for. And I was wondering if there's any better nowadays in the market.

And I wonder if anybody used it before on the roof glass, but I guess this is applicable only for the turbo. Only Patrick has one on his car here but still he didn't receive it.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I had Clearplex installed on the windshield of my Cayman GTS. This is the first time I have ever used this product, or anything like it, on a windshield. I have only put on about 600 miles since I had it installed, and so far no complaints. It is very clear and quite invisible. I have been told it does not last forever, and longevity depends on how many 'dings' it takes. I did purchase and have been using the Clearplex ClearxHD treatment product. It's like a liquid paste wax that is supposed to help protect the finish of Clearplex.

Overall I am happy with the product, but I've yet to really have it tested with a rock or such. It has been more 'peace of mind' protection to date.

Cost was $400 installed, but as I had it installed as part of my Xpel clear bra install, my installer discounted the installed cost to $300. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
504 Posts
And I wonder if anybody used it before on the roof glass, but I guess this is applicable only for the turbo. Only Patrick has one on his car here but still he didn't receive it.
I don't plan to use ClearPlex on the roof glass. It just isn't really in the line of fire. I have had cars previously with glass panorama type roof and never suffered a rock chip there.

- Patrick

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't plan to use ClearPlex on the roof glass. It just isn't really in the line of fire. I have had cars previously with glass panorama type roof and never suffered a rock chip there.

- Patrick
My 987 got hit twice on the roof on highways. Back then it didn't matter, it was metal roof with 3M. But with this glass roof, I can't risk it.

I just don't know how it will hold against the wind since ClearPlex seem to be thicker vs 3M I had on the 987.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike,

Have a look here for a 7 months use report. Does not convince me yet.

ClearPlex After 7 Months - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

All it takes is a cracked/broken windshield to regret not having protection.

My 987's windshield was broken severely on a highway at a high speed. The passenger was lucky the tire chunk from the road didn't go through, otherwise he'd have been killed. My Land Cruiser got cracked twice, replaced the windshield once and need to replace it again now because of cracks.

I am in search for the best protection, be it ClearPlex or another.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have clearplex on for 1200 miles .there is some optical distortion minor and more at night . I used a similar product on a track lotus for 6 years .it would usealy last about a year then they get chewed up . When I sold the car I took it off and the widnshield was perfect . That was after over 10,000 track miles and 43,000 road miles. The other product I used was made in North Carolina. It's the same company that makes tear offs for NASCAR. They make it in layers up to eight layers thick. I think sector 111 still carries it. I believe it was less expensive than the clear Plex. The clear Plex for the 981 was approximately $200Plus $75 to install. Carl

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Has anyone used ClearPlex on their windshield? I am going to try this out since I have had 2 broke windshield in less than 30 days.
dwblizza, I hope this quote brings you to this post, and welcome!

I have a couple of years experience with Clearplex, it works very well and IMHO is worth the expense and 'very slight' distortion it can cause on the windshield. I initially installed it onto my 2013 981 and after about 1-1/2 years it was replaced at Parade by Clearplex themselves, they even commented that my installation was quite good so I think with a little care and desire to do a good job it is a DIY project.

It is my belief that the stock glass in a Porsche scratches and chips quite easily, after a few years in my 2006 Boxster without Clearplex the scratches and rock bruises where everywhere, it never looked clean and at night the flare from street lights or cars was awful, bordering on unsafe! With Clearplex after the film as taken all it can or you feel it is time, you simply remove it and replace to start again with a nice clear view on the world.

For any comments made about simply replacing the windshield I would caution against this as a costly and invasive process that is best avoided. The factory installs these pieces of glass to perfection, no shop out in the wild can do the same with the same precision and end result, this is an integral part of the cars safety protection for the occupants and should not be taken lightly, additionally there are posts on this forum about the paint and dash damage done by glass shops when simply replacing the windshield...

I will be taking delivery of my latest Porsche in a few days, it WILL have Clearplex on the windshield before the first 50km are logged! :)

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
In all the many years of my driving (nearly 55 years), I have had only a very few chips, of which a couple started to crack and I had those fixed. I've never lost a windshield due to a chip. Is my driving different from others here? I never tailgate, especially if it's a truck. Our worse yet, a trailer with a bobcat or dozer on it covered with dry mud. Why am I not getting a lot of chips and cracks? It seems it must be differences in driving style, but nobody wants to talk about that...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
No tailgating here. My 981/x-73/20" wheels is very low and the front end design has been said to channel debris towards the windshield.
I have found the glass on my car to be exceeding soft. I had zero chips or marks larger than a grain of rice. What I did have was hundreds of very small pits or marks all over the glass.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts