Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving a 987.2 Boxster Base for a little over two years. I'm very happy with my Meteor Grey beauty, but I'm open to a new experience. I've been looking at 2014-2015 981's (and some 997.2 911's). Did anyone here come into the 981 after a stint with 987.2 ownership? What are some things you like about the 981 over the 987.2?

I appreciate your insights,

Mike Smith
Alpharetta, GA

·
Premium Member
5,931 Posts
I had both.

Look through some of the older threads about the "new 981". 987 owners listed a few reasons why they didn't like the 981. For example 987 owners complained about the vague steering input of the 981. (I like the way my 981 steers.)

IMHO you can't go wrong with either car but I prefer the 981.

·
Registered
108 Posts
imho 987 to 981 is a logical upgrade. Newer , nicer bells and whistles but the core driving dynamic remains more or less the same. If you looking for a "new experience" you will have to test drive the 781 S

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you want a raw and visceral experience, you are not going to get it with the 981. It is even more refined than the already refined 987.2. The 981 also feels a bit bigger than the 987 not because of it's increased dimensions but because they have raised the height of the fenders and door height, making it feel like a larger vehicle. Take a test drive in one or the 718 to see how you feel about it. Personally, I prefer the "smaller" dimensions of the 987 being an smaller sized guy (5'7") - larger sized individuals might not mind it so much.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had a base 987.2 and now a base 981. I like the 981 better in every way except the looks of the rear view.

Reactions: RickH

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I've driven the 987.2 several times but it wasn't enough to convince me to move to it from my SLK (r171). The steering feels a bit better if your idea of feeling every pebble on the road is better. In terms of looks, technology, speed, and everything else, the 981 is better. When I test drove one, I knew I had to have it. I didn't get that feeling with the 987.1 or .2. YMMV

In terms of looks, the 981 looks quasi exotic, not a Boxster but I couldn't find a side by side comparison.

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Sports car Supercar

How can you not like the look of this, it looks newer than the 781 IMO.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Convertible

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've owned a 987 CS and now a 981 CS. The 981 is far more refined than the 987. I found that the road noise in my 987 at highway speeds the car was so loud that you could no more hear the radio nor have a conversation. The 981 both are possible. Also the 981 outperforms the 987 in all respects, you can't go wrong. As for the 911 I've test drove a couple and in both cases I could feel the weight behind the rear wheels. Its a good car and is even more refined than the 981 but it does not corner the way I like to corner. The 981 rotates around an axis that is just about where your elbow is and it feels safe even when the rear is hanging out in oversteer. The 911 goes around the corner fast but I can feel the rear wag and I don't like it. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Went from base 987.2 Cayman to base 981, "steering feel" like others have said is a little numb on the 981, and it's not just about "feeling rocks" on the road, it's a combination of the weighted feel of the wheel which has been made lighter/easier to turn on the 981 at all speeds (not just the lower speed power steering plus option) and not getting the same level of feedback from the tires on grip/traction during hard cornering. People coming from a BMW or other cars as I recall reading on here many 981 owners were new to the marque will probably find the 981 steering amazing or an upgrade over what they were previously driving, but if used to 987.2 steering it is a downgrade imo.

I do like the shape and styling of the 981s and the interior in full leather is also very nice but I also liked the styling both exterior and interior of 987.2 caymans (and especially spyders and Cayman Rs). Overall 981 is more of a GT car vs 987.2, it's gotten a little softer, little less raw and more refined just like what has happened with most cars from one generation to the next. As someone else mentioned the view around you inside the 981 feels bigger, the dash and door panels are larger and higher and the view around you is a little bit different, the 987 had sort of classic round front fenders shape when looking out the front windshield and more rounded hips in rear vs 981 has gotten a little more flattened and muscular.

I upgraded because I got an offer on my 987.2 which was just a little less than what I paid for it after driving it for a year and half and putting over 10k miles on it, the CPO was ending on it and it also was coming due for some bigger maintenance at 6 years and with 981 I could get similar experience in a newer car with a CPO warranty I could have 5+ years of relatively worry free ownership.

Overall I enjoy my 981 and plan to keep it for another few years but I am in the newer is not always better camp and this will likely be my last "newer" Porsche, I'd like to check out 997 GTS or 987.2 spyder or cayman R next if I can.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
I've come from a 987.1. The 981 is a no-brainer. Good-everything...fit..finish...chassis is stunning. Bad-Yes...steering...a downgrade from 987...but it's still really good. Driving the 981...if you want crazy fast and good steering back, go straight to the 718. It's amazing. Everything else is OK...and the engine is meh...but the steering is sensational. I would buy a 718 for the steering alone.

Reactions: KL Cayman

·
Registered
13 Posts
I currently drive both generations- a 987.2 Boxster S Black Edition (320bhp) and a 981 Cayman GTS (340bhp). As other contributors have said , the intensity of the feedback in the 981 has been toned down, making it more refined. This is very apparent in two key areas- the steering and more importantly, the gearing on the PDK. This feels much shorter in the 987, making for extremely sharp response in any gear, whereas the gearing seems to be longer in the 981, giving it a "lazier" sensation. I can't say more than this at present as I'm trying to get to grips with the PASM suspension on the 981, which may or may not be defective. I currently do not like it, preferring the passively sprung 987.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
I had a 987.2S and now have a 981S. Loved them both. The 981 engine noise inside the cabin is way better. Overall my nod goes to the 981.

·
Registered
72 Posts
There's already enough GREAT reviews and opinions here so I'll be quick. Jumped over from a 987.2 Spyder to a 981 base Cayman and LOVE the new 981 platform, the interior, the styling etc... EXCEPT for the steering that on the base 981 is a bit numb. And with the big beautiful 904 front fenders (love the look from the side) added to the numbish steering it all makes for a bit a different steering experience.

Now, all this being said, I just test drove a 981 Spyder and with the steering rack brought over from the 991 turbo Porsche has created a sublime driving experience. I could feel the difference both before the ride and after on my way home in the 981. And here's the good news: the 718 has that same steering rack.

I may add the X73 suspension package, a good wheel alignment and a new set of tires to really reach the verdict on the 981. Anybody done this?

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
I had an 08 CS which I drove for close to 3 years, a Cayman R which I drove for close to 2 years. I then had a 2014 Cayman 2.7L that I drove for close to 2 years and now have the 2016 Cayman 2.7L that I will have been driving for 2 years next month. I have enjoyed them all. You get lots of opinions about the need for an S because of power et al. For me, as I did my research I found that the 2014 2.7L developed 275hp and the 08 CS developed 295 hp. The 981 is lighter than the 987.1 and considerably stiffer.....the overall driving feel for me was that the 2014 was better balanced/tighter feeling on the road and in the twisties. The Cayman R (987.2) I actually enjoyed less than the 08 CS and 2014 believe it or not. I found the LSD a bit annoying in DD and a tad 'crude feeling at moderate speeds in turns....). The only real change I made when I went from the 2014 to the 2016 was adding the X73.....that was the one thing I missed from the R. Also the 9871. and 987.2 steering feel was better to me. Not sure if this is of any value. My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I've been driving a 987.2 Boxster Base for a little over two years. I'm very happy with my Meteor Grey beauty, but I'm open to a new experience. I've been looking at 2014-2015 981's (and some 997.2 911's). Did anyone here come into the 981 after a stint with 987.2 ownership? What are some things you like about the 981 over the 987.2?

I appreciate your insights,

Mike Smith
Alpharetta, GA

I went from a 2006 987.1S to a 2014 981S. I absolutely love the car. I like the lines a lot better and the interior is far superior. I did come from a manual transmission to a PDK. I do miss the engagement with a manual, but the PDK far exceeds my expectations. I do also miss the hydraulic steering of the 987. The feedback was more pronounced than the new electric steering. With that being said, everything else that the 981S is easily overcomes the two things I miss.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I actually came from a 2005 Midnight Blue Metallic 987.1 (originally thought 987.2) Boxster S 6 speed, and now I have a 2014 Guards Red Cayman Base 6 speed. After reading and hearing that the Cayman Base would not have enough power to satisfy me, I have to disagree. With the 2014 Cayman Base, (275 hp), and being 77 lbs lighter, as well as 40 % stiffer chassis than the 2005 987.1 Boxster S (280 hp), I am thoroughly satisfied with the 2014 Cayman Base. It feels just as or faster due to the lighter weight and near same hp, 275 vs 280, but so much more refined and updated. Nicely optioned, but not crazy overdone. No IMS to think about too, which I previously had in my 987.1. I like the cockpit setup and the exterior muscular appearance of the 981. I considered the 718 but I could not get myself to go to a flat 4. I love the sound of the traditional flat 6. I don't track my cars, and enjoy the comfort, sound, stiffer chassis, lighter weight, overall I really like the 981 a lot. Prior to my 987.1, I owned a 2004 986 Boxster 5 speed, so when I updated to the 987.1 S, I loved the power, etc. The 981 Base keeps me loving it, in a nicer more updated and refined Porsche. I can't complain about the 20 City 30 Highway either. The 987.1 Boxster was 17 / 30. So they actually did make the 981 15% more fuel efficient, if it matters to anyone. I like the 981 better, hands down, for what it's worth. Hey, and I still own and drive a 1974 Porsche Sunflower 914 Euro.
Just my .02

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I came from a 2005 Midnight Blue 987.2 Boxster S 6 speed, and now I have a 2014 Guards Red Cayman Base 6 speed. After reading and hearing that the Cayman Base would not have enough power to satisfy me, I have to disagree. With the 2014 Cayman Base, having 275 hp, and being 77 lbs lighter, as well as 40 % stiffer chassis than the 2005 987.2 Boxster S (280 hp), I am thoroughly satisfied with the 2014 Cayman Base. It feels just as or faster due to the lighter weight and near same hp, 275 vs 280, but so much more refined and updated. Nicely optioned, but not crazy overdone. No IMS to think about too. I like the cockpit setup and the exterior muscular appearance of the 981. I considered the 718 but I could not get myself to go to a flat 4. I love the sound of the traditional flat 6. I don't track my cars, and enjoy the comfort, sound, stiffer chassis, lighter weight, overall I really like the 981 a lot. Prior to my 987.2 I owned a 2004 986 Boxster 5 speed, so when I updated to the 987.2 S, I loved the power, etc. The 981 Base keeps me loving it, in a nicer more updated and refined Porsche. I can't complain about the 20 City 30 Highway either. The 987.2 Boxster was 17 / 30. So they actually did make the 981 15% more fuel efficient, if it matters to anyone. I like the 981 better, hands down, for what it's worth. Hey, and I still own and drive a 1974 Porsche Sunflower 914 Euro.
Just my .02
Agree with everything you've written. I bought a 981 Cayman (my first Porsche) one month ago and now with ~20 days of driving in the books, couldn't be happier.

There is a strong contingent who are unsatisfied with the power of the base Cayman, and -- while I totally get it, and can feel the situations where power is lacking -- I don't find myself to be quite there. The overall experience, especially with respect to handling, is just too good. And I'm already finding myself having to slow down to allow for traffic conditions and posted speed limits!

·
Registered
161 Posts
There is a strong contingent who are unsatisfied with the power of the base Cayman, and -- while I totally get it, and can feel the situations where power is lacking -- I don't find myself to be quite there. The overall experience, especially with respect to handling, is just too good. And I'm already finding myself having to slow down
I had a 2014 Boxster base and was also satisfied with its power. I then migrated to a 2014 991 base, and now have a CGTS. The reasons were not for more power, because all are awesome cars!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I came from a 2005 Midnight Blue 987.2 Boxster S 6 speed, and now I have a 2014 Guards Red Cayman Base 6 speed. After reading and hearing that the Cayman Base would not have enough power to satisfy me, I have to disagree. With the 2014 Cayman Base, (275 hp), and being 77 lbs lighter, as well as 40 % stiffer chassis than the 2005 987.2 Boxster S (280 hp), I am thoroughly satisfied with the 2014 Cayman Base. It feels just as or faster due to the lighter weight and near same hp, 275 vs 280, but so much more refined and updated. Nicely optioned, but not crazy overdone. No IMS to think about too. I like the cockpit setup and the exterior muscular appearance of the 981. I considered the 718 but I could not get myself to go to a flat 4. I love the sound of the traditional flat 6. I don't track my cars, and enjoy the comfort, sound, stiffer chassis, lighter weight, overall I really like the 981 a lot. Prior to my 987.2 I owned a 2004 986 Boxster 5 speed, so when I updated to the 987.2 S, I loved the power, etc. The 981 Base keeps me loving it, in a nicer more updated and refined Porsche. I can't complain about the 20 City 30 Highway either. The 987.2 Boxster was 17 / 30. So they actually did make the 981 15% more fuel efficient, if it matters to anyone. I like the 981 better, hands down, for what it's worth. Hey, and I still own and drive a 1974 Porsche Sunflower 914 Euro.
Just my .02

Actually the 987.2s did not have IMS. Only the 987.1s did.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.