Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did the Softronic software upgrade, and am now proceeding with an exhaust setup. I am thinking of doing NHP Catless Headers with my stock exhaust for now...eventually adding an AWE or FVD to the headers. Has anyone done this combination? Will I be sacrificing low-end torque for more power in the mid and high range? Any thoughts and comments are welcome.
TIA.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I think Croc'ed also has done this, but with the Porsche Sport exhaust.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I am enjoying time off.

K4... please check the dyno forum. IMHO this is THE upgrade for the CS.

Or search on catless headers its a term I use most. Lots of posts on this topic.

Tomasz

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,860 Posts
Pistol Pete is correct, I did install the NHP headers and PSE. It sounds deeper, and "feels" stronger (but as I like to say, it could just be "audio HP".) I'll have to get around to dyno testing this combination. Here's a link to the dyno test results, performed by Tony Chick at EPL last December, with the stock exhaust headers, PSE and SRP/tuning:

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxs...-gets-softronic-race-plenum-2.html#post319088

FYI, there are two basic styles of headers: "shorties" that are compact and look like the letter "Y," or "racing," with long, equal length tubes. The NHP headers are "shorties." I recall that Tony at EPL offers a racing style header that he developed on the dyno to make measurable HP gains. From the 987.2 engine photos I've seen, it looks to me like the factory exhaust manifold has been revised to more closely resemble a racing stlye header (with catalytic converters, of course.) Porsche must have found a few "real HP" in there to justify the change, IMHO.

Now I'm thinking about taking a road trip to CT to compare exhaust systems...Pistol Pete, AKA Super Homewrecker, see what you've started????????:eek:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies. I will begin looking more into it in the next month or so. I live in Iowa so my car isn't going anywhere for a while.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I just did the Softronic software upgrade, and am now proceeding with an exhaust setup. I am thinking of doing NHP Catless Headers with my stock exhaust for now...eventually adding an AWE or FVD to the headers. Has anyone done this combination? Will I be sacrificing low-end torque for more power in the mid and high range? Any thoughts and comments are welcome.
TIA.
I did the FVD flash a few weeks back and am thoroughly enjoying it. And like you, I have been researching catless headers given all the information that Tomasz has posted about his exhaust experiences. Unlike you, I intend to make the catless headers my only exhaust modification.

Yesterday I bit the bullet and purchased the NHP catless headers. Based on the UPS tracking information I expect to have them next Friday.

I spoke to Rhonda at FVD about my plans for performance modifications (FVD flash and catless headers), and like Tomasz, she believes that this pair of changes are the best back-for-the-buck performance upgrades. Rhonda told me that the headers will improve the torque all throughout the rpm range, but be especially robust in the midrange. She said that given that I was keeping the post-header exhaust stock, that this would provide sufficient backpressure to prevent any low-end torque losses when combined with the flash.

I will start a new thread with my impressions of the FVD flash and NHP catless headers at a later date, after I have had some seat time to evaluate the combination.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Professor...thank you for all of that information. I look forward to your updates!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would just add to this one, as NHP catless headers have been installed on my 2006 Boxster S with the stock post-header exhaust for more than a week now.

As some may recall, I had an issue with the FVD flash before Christmas—look here http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-modifications/40149-fvd-flash-story.html. FVD did a outstanding job handling the matter, and the car runs exceptionally well. As it turns out, I had an issue with the headers too. :(

Specifically, the header flange that mates to the block on the passenger-side of the car was warped so much that the car had an exhaust leak. I informed Nello at Maxspeed-Motorsports of the problem and he sent me another header by UPS overnight. I then shipped the warped header to his facility in south Florida so that he could determine why the header flange was warped. All of this was on his dime. The new header was installed by my mechanic and all is fine.

The sound with the NHP catless header is definitely louder than stock, as Tomasz and others that have heard his exhaust have written. To my ears there is no drone, just more of that classic Porsche flat-6 exhaust note emitted. I would describe the sound as more open and throaty than with the stock headers. Based on the Porsche sport exhaust sounds clips I have heard, it reminds me of that exhaust—but don't quote me as I have not heard the PSE in person. In sum, I am pleased with the service provided by Nello at Maxspeed-Motorsports, and am very happy with the sound and performance of the NHP headers. The car has noticeably more low- and mid-range, and pulls hard right up to the 7400 rpm rev limiter now.

I think I am done with the performance mods, as I have removed the intake deflection element (a.k.a. de-snork), and installed the Evoms V-flow intake, FVD flash, and NHP catless headers on my car. The sum total of all these parts cost approximately $1610, not including shipping (if any), tax, and installation. I installed all the above except for the headers. :)

·
Built for speed AND comfort.
172 Posts
Professor, sorry I hadn't gotten your PM earlier but glad you, like me, have had good luck with NHP. I also have their catless exhaust and love the sound on the street or track. I, too, worried a little about losing some lower-rev torque. It feels like my Boxster may have lost a bit down low with the open exhaust, but the trade-off in top-end power at the track is worth it since, on the street, I'm a dedicated slow-and-steady driver and never miss a few lbs-ft. of torque.

For those of you wanting to DIY the NHP headers, it really is fairly straightforward since the headers are totally accessible from below the car and the collector flange is easy to get at with removal of the rear wheels. Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I too have the 06 Boxster S w/ Sports Chrono and manual. I am very interested in the FVD flash and the NHP catless headers. Did that setup cause a check engine reading due to the O2 sensors being unavailable? How do you solve that problem?
Thanks!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I too have the 06 Boxster S w/ Sports Chrono and manual. I am very interested in the FVD flash and the NHP catless headers. Did that setup cause a check engine reading due to the O2 sensors being unavailable? How do you solve that problem?
Thanks!
In ordering the FVD flash, you have the opportunity to document all the modifications to your car. By indicating that you have catless headers, the flash will be modified to account for said headers, and no CEL will rear its head. For the record, I have not had a CEL pop up.

I absolutely love this combination of modifications. :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In ordering the FVD flash, you have the opportunity to document all the modifications to your car. By indicating that you have catless headers, the flash will be modified to account for said headers, and no CEL will rear it head. For the record, I have not had a CEL pop up.

I absolutely love this combination of modifications. :)
Same with the softronic software I have...and I just added an AWE catback to my catless headers! See my newest topic a few down on this page :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts