Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know i was hoping to see a gen 2 car with Capristo exhaust dyno'd before and after but that hasn't happened as yet. Has anyone else with a DFI car dyno'd yet? I'm curious to see how one does.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Somebody did one but the test went wrong or something.

I can/will do one very soon if somebody wants to send me $200. Just running the car in now.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mine showed about 300 rwhp at 6800 rpm. It was a dynojet I think, those that have the wheels removed and the dyno bolted directly to the rear. I can post the chart tomorrow. Idiot mechanic didn't push the extra 400 rpm to see at redline though so I don't know the real peak. Car is an 09 S stock, 6 speed.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
What is teh correct way of doing it without the car throwing a hissy fit? 4by4 I think I read you said it was simply to remove the ABS fuse, but is that all and does it 100% work?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Mine showed about 300 rwhp at 6800 rpm. It was a dynojet I think, those that have the wheels removed and the dyno bolted directly to the rear. I can post the chart tomorrow. Idiot mechanic didn't push the extra 400 rpm to see at redline though so I don't know the real peak. Car is an 09 S stock, 6 speed.

You are referring to a "dynopak"... dyno jet uses rollers.

A pdk, on our dyno puts down 28Xwhp stock. A 6mt makes 300whp stock.

Casey

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Those numbers seem odd to me as well, especially since Porsche advertises 320 at the crank for the new Cayman S, to get 300 at the wheels would mean a very minor loss of power in the driveline and I don't think the loss is that small. I'd also question some known data points vs. that data point as well but that's for another time... :)

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
That's fascinating, Casey. Why do you think the PDK cars would put down less HP? More rotational weight in the PDK?
Rotational inertia only counts during acceleration which is minimal under a typical dyno run. In other words, you don't dyno at full pedal from start to finish. I believe that a smooth run up is more typical in order to see the HP details at the intermediate RPMs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dyno'd a 2009 Cayman S today and it put down 284 SAE corrected. We did this on a Dynojet and it's 94 degrees outside, drove 30 miles and slapped it right on the dyno. The shop is a more driven to LS based stuff so we only did a HP run. We were too stupid to know how to take the engine cover off and get a tach signal so we didn't get a torque reading! Not bad for a baseline number. Damn thing through more codes than I have ever seen! All in all I think that is pretty stout for a bone stock car.

·
3,755 Posts
Dyno'd my girlfreinds 2009 Cayman S today and it put down 284 SAE corrected. We did this on a Dynojet and it's 94 degrees outside, drove 30 miles and slapped it right on the dyno. Since I'm a Vette guy and the shop is a more driven to LS based stuff we only did a HP run. We were too stupid to know how to take the engine cover off and get a tach signal so we didn't get a torque reading! Not bad for a baseline number. Damn thing through more codes than I have ever seen! All in all I think that is pretty stout for a bone stock car. Now it's time for some mods! I need to get her up to my 650 rwhp level! ChaCHING!
As far as I know there is only two ways to Dyno a gen 2 car. Use a 4wd drive dyno with linked front/rear drums, or disconnect the ABS control unit when using a 2WD Dyno.

When I tried on a standard 2WD Dyno the engine just shut down at about 4000RPM. Which was due to the front wheels not turning and so it goes into a protection mode.
Did you get past 4000RPM? If so how?

·
Registered
6 Posts
As far as I know there is only two ways to Dyno a gen 2 car. Use a 4wd drive dyno with linked front/rear drums, or disconnect the ABS control unit when using a 2WD Dyno.

When I tried on a standard 2WD Dyno the engine just shut down at about 4000RPM. Which was due to the front wheels not turning and so it goes into a protection mode.
Did you get past 4000RPM? If so how?
We pulled it to 7300 RPM's twice and there was no problem (4th gear pull). Peak HP was at around 6900 RPM's. We strapped her down and let it rip. It threw all kinds of codes and the check engine light was on. Simple fix - turn it off- turn it over 4 to 5 times and the check engine light reset. Same problem is on the new vettes. ABS code is gonna throw because the front wheels ain't moving. That will reset itself after driving. We're gonna strap her down again next week now that I know how to get the tach signal. (and remove the engine cover :) :)

·
3,755 Posts
We pulled it to 7300 RPM's twice and there was no problem (4th gear pull). Peak HP was at around 6900 RPM's. We strapped her down and let it rip. It threw all kinds of codes and the check engine light was on. Simple fix - turn it off- turn it over 4 to 5 times and the check engine light reset. Same problem is on the new vettes. ABS code is gonna throw because the front wheels ain't moving. That will reset itself after driving. We're gonna strap her down again next week now that I know how to get the tach signal. (and remove the engine cover :) :)
This is sounding like a gen 1 car not a gen 2. :confused:

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
been a while since i have visited this thread.

pdks dyno less than manuals because Porsche has likely torque limited them. There shouldnt be any loss due to the drive line as compared to a manual car.

our gen 2 cars have been fast, our latest flash on mike's old '09 car netted 14rwhp... yes, i said 14 rwhp.

and when people say "bhp" they are just guessing at a number. that is why people should use whp numbers as they are quantifiable.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
been a while since i have visited this thread.

pdks dyno less than manuals because Porsche has likely torque limited them. There shouldnt be any loss due to the drive line as compared to a manual car.

our gen 2 cars have been fast, our latest flash on mike's old '09 car netted 14rwhp... yes, i said 14 rwhp.

and when people say "bhp" they are just guessing at a number. that is why people should use whp numbers as they are quantifiable.
wow, what flash is that?

when can we order? :banana:

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
It was done through dyno tuning... We probably wont sell it. Every car is different and if you are willing to allow us to tune your car on the dyno we could replicate it but a generic flash from our car to yours wont net the same benefits.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Casey-if you could post some actual dyno results that would be helpful. I haven't seen results showing 300 rwhp on any roller type of dyno. The dynaPak would be that high or high but not dynajetbor mustang.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts