Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two days ago I got my PTC to warn me that I have a rear tire puncture behind me. And the tire shop confirmed it :(

The problem is that I am more than 600 km away from any descent tire shop that sells these sizes. So I had to ask the shop to remove the nail and fix the tire again. For the past two days, there is not problem at all. But I do know that it is written explicitly in the manual not to do so.

I am driving next week inshallah to Amman (900 km away) where I'll be dropping my CS at Porsche Jordan for some Tequipment upgrades and now to replace the tire as well. Of course I am concerned about driving with the repaired tire all the way to Amman.

Is there any one out there who is driving or did drive before his Porsche on a repaired tire?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Bro you'll be fine. They remove the nail and place a tube instead of it and cut the remaining bits off..

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bro you'll be fine. They remove the nail and place a tube instead of it and cut the remaining bits off..
That's exactly what they did. But shouldn't I replace the tire? Is it safe to ignore Porsche's recommendation?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I did that for my ex 330i and my cayenne and both were fine, drove miles and miles on them.

you shouldn't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Had the dealer check my RR Friday as it was down 7-8 psi after being topped up the day before from being down the same, 7-8 psi. They pulled a nail and patched it, they wouldn't plug it. Wrote on my invoice, (it was in for 1st minor maint), that they recommend both rears replaced, and not to drive any distance, nail was near the sidewall. Maybe it depends where it is???.....contemplating new rubber all around, expensive nail.

They weren't out to sell me rubber either, I told them I may order from tire rack and they had no problem recieving the tires if I shipped them directly to them, said they'd charge me for installing/balancing them at $40 per..then alignment on top I think

So I am driving on a patched tire but it was not recommended, keeping it to short distances, soon to be put away, anyway.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
New car in April, picked up nail in May w/ less than 2000 mi (1200 km) on car that caused slow leak, 1-2 psi per day. Discount Tire plugged the hole - it was well away from the shoulder & sidewall. Now at 5,500 mi without any problems. (Tires are stock Michelin PS2 Sports on 18" Cayman S II wheels.)

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Personally I would think it would be fine, but I would not be planning on doing any high speed driving or track days. :cheers:

·
Registered
502 Posts
A plug should be fine for that trip. I have had tires plugged with no issues. I think the reason that they say NOT to plug is because the car is capable of high rates of speed and any issues with the tire structure become exaggerated at high speed. When is is near the sidewall it is not a good idea to repair it and most tire shops will refuse to do the repair.

Luckily I have a tire insurance that came with my car that covers replacement rubber when it is damaged.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I had a plug in my previous 05 Boxster after running over a screw. It was fine for the entire time I owned it. As long as you are not going at continued extreme rates of speed, tracking the car and the puncture is not near the sidewall, you should be fine.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Like most things, it depends on several things. If it is a small puncture, not near the sidewall, and if it is properly repaired, no need to replace the tire. I've been on track at 165 mph with repaired tires. It should be repaired with a plug/patch, from the inside.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yeah I echo what has been said on here. The reason they say dont do it is because they dont want you to do 170 on a track the next day and kill yourself. For ordinary driving its fine. Get it changed when at the dealer but its worth changing both tyres on the same axle at the same time so get the other side done also unless its almost new as a difference in rolling radius due to less tread may give you a vibration.

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
It all depends where the puncture was. That is why Porsche in general says no to fixed tires. If it is not close to the sidewall you should be fine. I had one and put about 7,000 miles on it including the Dragon twice and literally drove the tire to the threads. Never had any air leakage problems.

·
Registered
155 Posts
nail was near the sidewall. Maybe it depends where it is???.....contemplating new rubber all around, expensive nail.
I think those recommendations are made with the assumption that the car will be driven a lot more aggressive that a normal car. It really does depend on the location of the puncture. If it is near the sidewall, I would not risk drving very far. On the other hand, under normal driving conditions, I would have no problem driving a distance on a repaired puncture on the flat part of the tread.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
I suspect that liability plays a factor in the recommendation also. FWIW I've had no trouble with plugged tires. Of course YMMV.

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
If interested there are several existing threads on the subject. They pretty much echo everything already said above. So as has been said over and over in all those threads it is your neck. So make your choice accordingly.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Glad to hear so many repair stories.

i just had my first puncture today, rear tire, i drove over some very poor quality road with construction word all around.

the shop, took the wheel, drilled it a bit stuck in some tube that later feels like bubble gum and said i was all fine to go.

initially i was mad that they drilled the hole bigger without even letting me know whats going on, but now its seems its the way to fix it.

i don't drive fast so i am waiting for the tire to ware out and swap them all together

·
Registered
442 Posts
another question on repair

how are the tire repaired from the inside ??

it seems the bubble gum tube jammed in is the only method i am familar with.

which method is better ?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have had several tires repaired by two local tire service centers over the years. This includes a run-flat on a BMW 330i with a puncture to the tread area. Even though not advertised, Bridgestone dealers CAN repair their run-flats even if BMW dealers may say otherwise. In all cases, the repaired tires have been driven at highway (US, not autobahn!) speeds for many months without ever having any issues and have only been replaced for normal tread wear. Standard method is to remove the tire from the rim and insert a rubber plug through the puncture with some of the plug visible on the tread side once remounted. Sidewall damage cannot be repaired on either standard or run-flat tires. My understanding is that the plug vulcanizes (?) in place and the repair can be as strong as an undamaged tire. FRANK in CT, USA

·
Caymaniac
5,655 Posts
I have run many track miles on tires that have been properly plugged and patched. In each case we are talking about a center tread puncture.

I am not aware of a track in North America where you can achieve speeds near the speed rating of PS2s, and properly plugged and patched tire retain their speed rating.

"170 MPH on a track"? What track would that be?

I have seen brand new tires blow on the freeway. I have seen tires punctured on the track by debris from a wreck, and I have seen tires deflate when gravel gets in the bead after on off track excursion. You never know what is going to happen. I am not immune to a catastrophic tire failure, and neither is anyone else.

It is impossible to argue against the theory that anything less than brand new is less than as good as brand new. So I won't bother. No, my life is not worth $1500 in tires for each track day. I have life insurance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts