Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

If I'm crazy for even asking, please just say so. But I've been searching diligently every day since New Year's for a 987.2 spec'd the way I want it, and have not found one at all. There was a Canadian one that came close but my wife veto'd the red exterior color. Anyway, Porsche USA sold so few Cayman S's between 09-11 that the cars that are for sale have asking prices that are really high! I almost bought a 997.2C2S because it was for sale for only $51k from a Porsche dealer with a CPO warranty--most CPO 987.2S's with CPO are priced at $48k-$53k. But someone bought it before I could make an offer.

So I'm sitting at my desk this morning in Paris, France, doing my daily car search--I'm returning to the US this summer--and I get so frustrated that I go on the French equivalent of craigslist. And BOOM! There are so many 987.2s for sale that I start salivating. And they're pretty cheap! I then started looking for info online about the costs of importing to the US, and found many cautionary articles on Jalopnik and TTAC about the high costs of converting a car to US-spec, etc.

BUT, has anyone actually done this with a Cayman S? And if so, would you please give me a ballpark of the specific costs of accomplishing this rare feat with a Cayman S? I searched the forums already but came up empty handed.

Hope everyone has a great week and appreciate your time.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
You aren't crazy. It's a matter of whether you think it's worth the effort of inspecting the car, paying any applicable taxes, and setting the car up to be road legal in the US. Europe uses the (more superior in my opinion) SAE standard for headlights, while US/Canada uses the DOT. The beam pattern may be different on the Cayman as well (I'm pretty sure BMWs are different). Then you may have other small issues to sort out (perhaps airbag warning labels, rear bumper lumps, etc). All that put together you might as well pay up the premium locally as resale value would never match up to a local US/Canada car down the road. Cars are cheap in the US, so all that work may not make sense economically at the end.

In Asia, cars are expensive and supply is relatively limited as some places use RHD cars. So it would make economic sense to ship cars from UK. Also the safety standards are generally very similar, so there is no issues with having the wrong headlight housing here.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I know of a low mileage, 2012 Canadian-spec 987.2 CS that could be for sale if the price is right.
Pretty extensive options list, including the "must-haves" you've listed in a previous post.

Platinum Silver Metallic /Black Sport seats
PDK
PASM
Sport Chrono Plus
LSD
PCM
BOSE
Comfort Package
Infotainment Package
Design Package
Sport Design steering wheel
Heated Seats
Black Boxster Spyder wheels

The Design Package includes numerous 'black" bits...black (instead of silver) trim on dash/doors/PDK surround, black tailpipes/mirrors/intakes/Cayman S lettering on trunk etc. Mileage is around 13,600. Also has a set of OEM 18" wheels with Pirelli Sottozero II winter tires. All records (dealer maintained), never tracked, one owner, no accidents. 100% original.

The car is in my garage. It's my wife's DD, and we're looking at a new BS for her. She loves the 987.2 CS but REALLY wants a Boxster. She much prefers the look of the 987 Cayman over the 981 Cayman, but likes the 981 Boxster more than the 987. It's not a matter of "if" but "when" a 981 BS replaces the CS. Photo below was taken in late fall when we were doing a video shoot that used the Cayman.

CSFallDay.JPG

Reactions: 3G3T7I

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Zinger, thanks for the input. It didn't occur to me how having a euro-spec car in the USA would affect resale value so thanks for pointing that out!

Gcurnew, I sent you a PM re: your Cayman S potentially finding a new home chez moi!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Hi Zinger, thanks for the input. It didn't occur to me how having a euro-spec car in the USA would affect resale value so thanks for pointing that out!

Gcurnew, I sent you a PM re: your Cayman S potentially finding a new home chez moi!
Got it...thanks. Will snap a few pictures tonight for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts