Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if any one with a 2016 GTS (or after installing a third oil cooler) has seen any false "Min reached" oil level warnings after a track day or spirited running.

I ask because I got the warning (yellow triangle, "Min reached") this weekend after a track day (several 15-20 minute sessions). I noticed the warning when I checked the oil level (like I do once or twice every time I drive the car) at the end of the track event. It's a MT and I was running on Sport + mode.

After driving a few miles, it went back to displaying 4 green bars, which is what's been doing since I had the dealer change the oil about 1100 miles ago.

Anyone get the warning?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Re: Anyone get false "Min reached" oil warning after track days w/ their GTSs?

I don't track my 2016 GTS, but I'm attaching a file so you understand better how the oil sensor works. I never rely on a 'dynamic' check, which is what you see when checking level with the car running. By the way, an owner cannot 'force' a reading on these cars; the ECU does it automatically after engine is shut off and 1 minute elapses (assuming oil is hot enough, etc)... and THAT (the 'static' reading) is the reading you need to rely on. And the good news is my car doesn't read before oil is at least 180ºF, which is the temp those sensors need to be accurate (don't know why the doc says 15xº). Bottom line is if you have 4 bars before a track day, no worries then. And I say that because if oil level drops below minimum, you'd get an actual warning. But your experience shows an important message: You should have 4 bars if tracking to always assure proper oil level in hard cornering. If you had only 2, for instance, you could potentially had been below minimum level. That's why some manufacturers actually instruct owners to overfill oil sump by 'x' amount when tracking, but the sump design has a limit. That's also why Porsche says you just can't slap stickier tires than stock on these cars. Not only the suspension is not designed for such forces, but the engine oiling system neither. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for that file. I was aware of the overall procedure and I've followed that religiously over the last year. However, the details on how the specific measurements are performed are new to me and very interesting (being that I'm an engineer).

Thanks again,
Miguel

·
Registered
1,920 Posts

In September, I had my local indie shop do my oil change in preparation for Mid-Ohio. Driving off the lot (and two or three times later), I got the 'Too much oil, but can continue" message. I put the car up on jackstands and waited two hours for the oil to cool to pull a quart out and refill. In removing the plug, the oil was still hot enough to blister my fingers. I dropped the plug and I let the engine drain nearly totally and had to refill six quarts. The dash gauge appeared to be at the correct level at the fifth bar (I was shocked that six quarts were enough).

Anyway, once at Mid-Ohio, just as I was going to pull onto the track, I got the "oil at minimum level, can continue" notice on the TFT. I pulled out of line and missed my first session. I did not bring extra oil with me (shame on me) and I had to go into town and get two quarts of oil. I had the official Porsche mechanics at the event help me fill the oil. The light green on bright grey is hard to really see the level, especially in bright daylight. Even the two mechanics were unsure. I added 1.25 quarts to the level to get it to the fifth bar.

The car ran great and had good oil level the rest of the weekend. On the next weekend, I was back at Mid-Ohio and in the afternoon, I got the "Oil level too high, but can continue" warning. I ignored it and had no issues and the warning never came back again.

That measurement system is inspiring... Not!

V6

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

the details on how the specific measurements are performed are new to me and very interesting (being that I'm an engineer).
Me too, and was on the same boat when I found out. Ha ha. Hey, you should put where in TX; it's a big state;). Seems like Austin, where my little one lives. Nice to have COTA local:).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

yes, Austin. Great town.

BTW, we have similar cars: 2016 CGTS, black/black, X73, PSE, SC, 20" (now changed to 18"), full leather, Alcantara, crest on headrests, Zunsport grills, ...

·
Registered
2,022 Posts

I have no idea buddy, but somebody posted either here or on the 'other' forum;). Good read, huh? Should be in the owner's manual.
It looks exactly like the same text and diagrams that are in the Porsche "Good to know" mobile device app. The info isn't exactly word for word compared to my CS app, but that is specifically for a GTS although the function should be the same either way. It looks identical to the Good to Know app otherwise.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts

It looks exactly like the same text and diagrams that are in the Porsche "Good to know" mobile device app. The word aren't exactly word for word compared to my CS app, but that is for a GTS. It looks identical otherwise.
The .PDF metadata says it was authored by one Hans Reisel, created 27-Sep-2012 and last modified 9-Jun-2017. If you dig down far enough through the results from a Google search for hans reisel porsche you can find this interesting bit of text from an obscure flame war that took place in April 1999 on macobserver.com:

Whoa Guys, I love Apple and I love Adobe products. Lets leave the silly tit for tat stuff in the school yard. I create all the Parts and Service technical literature for Porsche Cars N.A. on a Mac, and the only Mac in a windows world here. I have managed to steer our company to Adobe Acrobat PDFs for electronic publications. I hope Adobe isn't holding back Acrobat 4.0 to me for that selfish reason. As a Mac user, I can see a big advantage for the digital signatures, especially with the electronic order forms I create. See ya, Hans Reisel
Memo: buy this guy a beer if/when opportunity presents itself

·
Registered
2,022 Posts

The .PDF metadata says it was authored by one Hans Reisel, created 27-Sep-2012 and last modified 9-Jun-2017. If you dig down far enough through the results from a Google search for hans reisel porsche you can find this interesting bit of text from an obscure flame war that took place in April 1999 on macobserver.com:

Memo: buy this guy a beer if/when opportunity presents itself
Interesting, so it may not all be pertinent info for a 981 if originally written in 2012. The current instructions for my CS only mention the static method after the engine is warmed up and sitting still for one minute. I wonder how much of that material even applies to our cars? Has anyone ever tried to see if this "dynamic" method even works?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts

Interesting, so it may not all be pertinent info for a 981 if originally written in 2012. The current instructions for my CS only mention the static method after the engine is warmed up and sitting still for one minute. I wonder how much of that material even applies to our cars? Has anyone ever tried to see if this "dynamic" method even works?
No, that's exactly when the 981 documentation would have been written.

Didn't the 987s still have a dipstick?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts

Yes, its does make sense that the material would be written a bit ahead of the production release. The 987.2 is electronic like the 981, however you were to supposed to check the oil immediately after getting in the car before starting it. Once the car was running there would be a long countdown delay of several minutes (10-20) before a reading could be displayed again. Different than the 981 process where they want the car to be hot first and then only a short 1 minute delay before checking

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.