Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had an update on their completed cars since before the holidays. Mine was a Dec 10 Completed production Cayman and the last I heard before Christmas was that it was "on the water" but no ship name or arrival in port date was on the dealer web site. Most of Germany and Europe shuts down from just before Christmas until the New Year so this is probably the first day back to work for Porsche AG. Starting to get excited and my wife would like the goodies for the car out of the guest bedroom. Actually have a bet with the dealer on whether the Cayman will get here before our Cayenne is repaired. As some may know the Cayenne was rear ended on 18 December and is still far from back together.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My car completed about the same time as yours. Last I heard, it went on a ship Dec. 21st, and supposedly that means it should be arriving in Texas around Jan. 15th. Dealer says they don't expect any delays from that.

Our cars are probably shipmates at the moment. :)

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Xmatt: Dealer called today and said the ship was due in Houston on 18 Jan. He told me the ships name but I forgot to write it down. Mine is a base Cayman in Carrera White with sea blue interior. Options include PDK, Limited slip, PASM and sport chrono. Inside are sport bucket seats and bluetooth. Harness bar is at the house along with Royal Blue Simpson harnesses. Should be a fun autocross and track car. What is holding hands with my toy on the ship

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hm, that's too bad, I was looking forward to the mid-Jan delivery. I guess I've waited 6 months already, what's a couple more weeks...

Mine is a meteor grey Cayman S, 6-speed, LSD, Sport Chrono, sport shifter, and assorted conveniences. I'm also looking forward to some autocrossing and track time with it. I've just sold my Honda S2000, which was a great track tool, and I expect the Cayman is going to be another world.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Xmatt:

First, where in Texas are you? Second, I had an S 2000 when they first came out and what a great car. I would have kept it if the Honda dealer were able to get me a hard top... long story. You will find the Cayman S to be a great car, all the good things the S 2000 had plus more. I had an '08 Cayman S and really enjoyed traded for an '09 C2S with PDK partially for the wife. I have become so impressed with PDK after driving it on the track is the reason the new Cayman had PDK. The reason for the base car instead of the "S" is SCCA autocross class. The cars will be here soon, the long wait is over.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm in Dallas.

"Everything the S2000 has plus more" is exactly why I got the Cayman. I drove a lot of cars and I felt like every one of them improved some things over the S2000, but was worse in other areas. The Cayman feels every bit as light and nimble, but adds a lot of feel, refinement, and power. I was totally won over from the first test-drive in a ways that the BMW 1-series, 370Z, TT-S, and other cars left me very flat.

I know exactly what you mean about both PDK and the non-S Cayman. If I were more of a dedicated racer, I would have ended up with a car *very* similar to yours. With this being primarily my daily driver and an occasional weekend toy, I wanted the 6-speed just for that feel of control (but realizing it will be slower) and I wanted the S because it feels great and I don't mind being uncompetitive in SS class (at least I assume that's where it's going to land -- is the base Cayman in A? The S2000 was killer in A-stock.)

Cheers on your car-to-be and good luck on the track. :cheers:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had an "end of November" build, and was told it arrived at port on Dec 28th. Still hasn't arrived at the dealer yet though. I didn't realize domestic shipping would take this long (I live in Southern California).

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I haven't been able to get the vessel name from my dealer yet. He says that the Porsche management system has been down for the last two weeks due to the holidays. If you can Check 6, please ask your dealer again for the name. When it gets close to the U.S. we can track it on this website: Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions.

-Redbear

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was just notified that the car arrived at the dealership, I'm scheduled to pick it up on Friday. I guess whining about waiting does help ;)

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I just got word from the dealer that our precious cargo is on the Hercules Highway. It left Finland on Dec 23rd and made a stop in Germany to pick up some VWs and Audis. It’s scheduled to arrive in Houston on Jan 18th. Here’s a link with more info: http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?MMSI=431203000.

-Redbear out

1 - 11 of 11 Posts