Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was driving home tonight and saw what looked like a plastic bag in the center of the lane. Then I heard a pretty good thump as I went over it. Clearly wasn't a hollow plastic bag. Didn't hear anything dragging, but still pulled over to check it out. Found a pretty good size dent in the front underside pan nearest the front bumper. I'm thinking it must of been some kind of hard fruit in the bag or maybe even a bag of horse manurer (I live out in the country). Seems to of disintegrated after I hit it. Car seems fine and if it was an inch taller it would of taken out my front bumper.

Anyone know if it's easy to replace that cover or how much it costs? Seems like it's only cosmetic damage and it's fully underneath the car so I guess I'm the only one who's going to know about it.

Anyone else ever had a strike like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I drove over a couple unidentified objects in my Boxster, and I'm sure had a dent or two under there. Never looked. The Cayman is much lower though, so I have to be extra careful. Something like that would prob crack my front bumper.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I'd work on cleaning up the painted portion myself but the rest......not so much. You might just do a good spray from one of those diy car wash places. It's likely to happen again and again so just be careful out there.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd work on cleaning up the painted portion myself but the rest......not so much. You might just do a good spray from one of those diy car wash places. It's likely to happen again and again so just be careful out there.:cheers:
Surprisingly, the paint isn't scratches at all! It was just dirt. I wiped it off and no scratches. So it's just the dent in the undercarriage pan.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Stuff happens. In my old Cayman, I ran over a dead deer with my left front wheel at 35 mph (yeah I know, but it was really unavoidable). The impact actually bent the suspension and took off some plastic parts. Still wondering how that could have happened without a scratch on the bumper or body. Had all the parts replaced and aligned by the dealer. Insurance paid for it all, thanks to zero deductible.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I had to go over a section of a folded tire a week or two ago... on the freeway, changed lanes...there it was... right down the center... didn't do much to the front section of the car but I'm pretty sure there's at least some scuffing on the bottom... I should check it out at some point... so far I haven't cared... I don't look at the bottom of my car very often... :)

Reactions: 981WC

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Wow, that sucks! I do not think it is worth replacing, but maybe remove the panel and bang it out with a rubber mallet. If it dented that easily, it should be easy to undent. Just make sure you keep the fastener holes where they should be.

I think that story is a bunch or [email protected]%t!!! Lol

·
Registered
779 Posts
I didn't see a curb as I was pulling out of a parking space. Scratched the bottom pan as bad or worse and the plastic rocker panel. None of it is visible unless you lying on the ground or under the car -- so I'm not doing anything about it. Who cares?

Reactions: Rickyb

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just knocked the rubber spoiler off under the front bumper in a parking lot. Found it before we left and with the help of my wife put it back on. The undercarriage has a few scrapes but what the heck!

·
Registered
700 Posts
I'm sorry to say but I was impatient getting into a parking space, parked on the end next to a curb to avoid door dings and slightly rubbed the curb with the wheel. It's very minor but less than a month into things is really irritating. But it's my own fault, oh well. Now I won't worry so much when she goes on the track next spring!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When you hit something significant let me know, yours hardly compares to mine.... :)

Wow, no kidding, that's a major strike! What'd you hit?

I think I'm going to be doing more object avoidances out there on the road. I always swerve for rocks and I probably could of maneuvered out of the way of this, but I honestly thought it was a plastic bag and not worth it.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had to go over a section of a folded tire a week or two ago... on the freeway, changed lanes...there it was... right down the center... didn't do much to the front section of the car but I'm pretty sure there's at least some scuffing on the bottom... I should check it out at some point... so far I haven't cared... I don't look at the bottom of my car very often... :)
Bummer! Yeah, worth taking a look. I got my lift, but the jack points on the 981 are 1.5" further apart than the max of the jack, so I'm having extensions welded on. As soon as I get that back, I'll put it up and give the undercarriage a full lookover. Bring your 981 out to Idaho and we'll throw it up on the lift and take a look!

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Wow, no kidding, that's a major strike! What'd you hit?

I think I'm going to be doing more object avoidances out there on the road. I always swerve for rocks and I probably could of maneuvered out of the way of this, but I honestly thought it was a plastic bag and not worth it.
Have you seriously not read about the Elk incident??? Do a search for Elk and look for my croctoberfest story....

Sent from my Galaxy Prime Windows Mobile 8.5 Phone via TapaTalk

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Impact doesn't look bad, but bet you might have to replace it. My understanding is the undercarriage protection is thin plastic designed to dend in to "cushion" impacts, so it did what it was supposed to...it should be cheap to replace. ...or you can try taking it off and undenting it.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
I had a rock that bumped along 3 times under my car, hitting the carton panels twice and once the pan under the driver seat and left a small dent there... Happened on my drive down from Col de Turini during the European Delivery...

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a rock that bumped along 3 times under my car, hitting the carton panels twice and once the pan under the driver seat and left a small dent there... Happened on my drive down from Col de Turini during the European Delivery...
Did you ever fix it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts