Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For street and moderate track use (on street tires ...) -- and w/ a dozen track days w/ stock pads I don't have any cracking in my original rotors. I will be upgrading to PFC 97s for the track and keeping OE pads for the street.

anyone tried:
1) Disk Brakes Australia (DBA) 4000 for the CS ? -- available at tirerack ...

2) Balo, Sebro, or Zimmerman - available @ pelicanparts - these brands are listed on the product page "(brand) is an OEM supplier to Porsche."

does that mean they supplied Porsche w/ some parts @ some time, or, is this particular rotor is supplied to porsche?

The Balo is about $80 ... I can throw away a lot of these if they crack early, before touching the price of Performance Friction 2-piecers and the like ...

I understand the adage about "getting what I pay for" ... but if someone has successfully used these rotors, I may get a little more for the money, than porsche OEM ...

·
Built for speed AND comfort.
172 Posts
I ordered a pair of Balo fronts from Pelican for my 987 Boxster S, so I will post here as soon as I have some feedback (after a couple track days). My original rotors are good for one more track day, I think, and then it'll be time to change to the Balos.

What I've read over on the Bimmer and Mercedes forums backs that up. At $80 apiece, unless they totally **** out it's hard to argue that the big-buck rotors are worth it for street / occasional-track-day warriors like me.

(Disclaimer: I know rotors are a lightning rod issue on forums.)

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply - I decided to go w/ DBA series 4000XS [DBA 42394XS] - @ $175 They're not cheap, but seem to have some great engineering behind them. These are sparsely drilled & sparsely slotted - I still get better cooling than slotted-only, w/ less likelihood of cracking.

I'd have gone w/ something more basic except I'm going to use these in my CS w/ track pads so I wanted more than the least expensive option.

I just bedded my PFC-97 pads today w/ the new rotors - braking evenly and medium-hard from 80 to 40, and so far I'm pleased. I'll be taking it to the track next weekend and will report back.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
If Belo is truly OEM supplier to Porsche then could it be that these same rotors are on many of our cars. My adage is - "you are too poor to buy cheap stuff." But if I can get a decent $80 rotor... I bought some nice Brembo rotors for $40 few years back...

Let us know how the DBAs work.

·
Registered
47 Posts
for what its worth, i replaced my stock rotors on my Evo8 that i used to own a while back with DBA rotors (cant remember which model). they were a solid choice for me back then. hope yours are too!

·
Built for speed AND comfort.
172 Posts
Nice looking rotors, although that's about the same price as Porsche factory rotors. Do the DBAs offer anything (other than a different hole/slot pattern) over the OEMs that you're aware of? Still, good to have choices! :)

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
their 'kangaroo paw' vent design. I buy the idea that radial vents are more prone to warping ... that, and the 3 stripes of thermo-paint on the edge. I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to see them but it's a very nice touch.

I probably would have bought the balos except that pelican was out of stock for my CS when I wanted to place the order. Seeing them back in stock I'm kicking myself a bit ...

·
Registered
831 Posts
I used DBA almost exclusively, 5000 series, in my previous cars, excellent quality IMO. I replaced my rears with Zimmermans, although the value is there, they are now toast already after 5 track days in less than 8 months :( I may go with OEM rotors after the next event for the rears to see if there is really a difference between them.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Plainsman, I'm curious what you have found with the DBA 4000 rotors. I assume you've given them a good track thrashing by now?

There don't seem to be a lot of options out there for rotors.

• OEM / OEM quality are available, reasonably cheap but all seem to be drilled.
  • Girodisc rotors look really nice, with price to match. :eek:
  • I haven't come across much in the way of a middle ground option.

Also wondering about which ones you bought. It seems as if they make either slotted only or drilled and slotted for the fronts: based on my experience with cracking at the holes on EOM drilled rotors I would probably favor slotted only.

Look forward to any feedback you have.

Cheers --

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm also curious to hear about the DBA's.

wgn - a middle ground option might be two piece rotors from performance friction. Have not seen them in person, but from photos they appear to be dimpled rather than drilled.

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Plainsman, I'm curious what you have found with the DBA 4000 rotors. I assume you've given them a good track thrashing by now?

There don't seem to be a lot of options out there for rotors.

• OEM / OEM quality are available, reasonably cheap but all seem to be drilled.
  • Girodisc rotors look really nice, with price to match. :eek:
  • I haven't come across much in the way of a middle ground option.

Also wondering about which ones you bought. It seems as if they make either slotted only or drilled and slotted for the fronts: based on my experience with cracking at the holes on EOM drilled rotors I would probably favor slotted only.

Look forward to any feedback you have.

Cheers --
The only thing I thrashed @ the track was a rod bearing ... 40 minutes on the track and my weekend was done. I got the 4000XS (X-something?) -- lightly drilled + slotted, kanga-roooo pattern separators between the disc halves.

I like them - w/ these rotors and PFC-97 -compound pads I was able to stop very well.

It seems silly now that I'm spending $20K on my engine, but I balked at the extra cost of the performance friction 2-piece rotors -- they were my first choice.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Might as well step up to the best slotted rotor - a huge increase in diameter from 317mm to 340mm - via the GiroDiscs. Just 10mm shy of the GT3 rotors.

But then again you knew I'd chime in anyways :cheers:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Might as well step up to the best slotted rotor - a huge increase in diameter from 317mm to 340mm - via the GiroDiscs. Just 10mm shy of the GT3 rotors.

But then again you knew I'd chime in anyways :cheers:
You are one sick MF'er watching all these posts and picking up on the ones that are brake related. I wish I had such energy.......keep up the good work. :hilarious:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts