Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit shocked that the Porsche doesn't come with a 1/8" jack for external audio devices like the ipod and iphone. Most 20k cars have them these days.

Anyway, I pretty much don't even own CDs anymore and have all my music/audiobooks/movies on my 32gb Iphone. I don't love the FM transmitters so I went to Best Buy tonight and they have the jack with installation for $129.00.

They just drill a small hole and wire it. Takes about 45 minutes. They say that some customers put it on the stereo panel and some put it in the center console where it's not noticeable and you can stash your iphone in there for the clean look.

Anyone have this done? I wouldn't want to drill any holes I don't have to into my CS but putting it in the center console wouldn't be bad at all.

Thoughts? Experience?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
May I ask whether you have PCM 2, 3 or CDR24 / 30??

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Do you have GPS nav or not? If so, do you have touch screen or not??

Is your car a gen I or II?

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
I also would like to know if you have the CDR24, because that's what I have and Best Buy told me that their little kit would work and it would be $150 installed. Sounds like what you got.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Do you have GPS nav or not? If so, do you have touch screen or not??

Is your car a gen I or II?
I have a 2007 CS so Gen I I guess. No nav. Got the high end Bose stereo option in the car which I'm not all that impressed with. Went to Best Buy, like I said, they would install a jack anywhere I want for about 130 bucks. I wouldn't have it installed on the dash but maybe by the power jack inside the center arm rest console.

I am hesitant having Best Buy techs messing with my car though. Not sure what the CDR 24 is.

·
Registered
15 Posts
very interested to know if this works. I can deal with a bit of drilling (just put it in an outta the way spot) I would love to have ipod or iphone music... my main issue would be sound quality. Can they install the wide dock type connection to an ipod? i hear this helps sound quality quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
2007 is Gen I indeed, and CDR-24 is the "non-PCM" version of the audio player.

Here are the options I can think of:
  • If you are willing to spend, I'd say go for the dension, as it provides iPod, USB and dual RCA AUX. The good; great sound quality, relatively easy install, can control the device from the headunit. The bad, kinda expensive, and without PCM, you cant use all the functions, since you cannot see them!
  • If you only want to play iPhone/iPod, maybe consider the Porsche OEM adapter, its a wired radio transmitter, so very good quality, but it's expensive (not sure how much exactly), you could get the dension for about the same!
  • You could get a high quality FM transmitter, it will probably not be as good as the OEM or the Dension, but it would provide "about" the same quality with the advantage of a much better price and much easier install.
  • Another option that I dont really recommend, but some people have done, is to install another headunit like the AVIC for instance which provides all that, but I heard installing that on BOSE cars is not straight forward!

I for one, would never let anyone from BestBuy or so touch my car, as I have no clue what they do or do not know. YMMV

1 - 8 of 8 Posts