Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After jayman told me his 2009 Cayman was going into hibernation, I wondered how many other Nor'Easters here will do the same thing.

I'm fortunate enough to have a second car that I can throw winter tires on and plus I don't wander around too much anyway.

This will be my third winter with the Cayman. I don't have winter tires for it and I will drive it if the roads are salt free and dry. A 25 mile loop of the Staten Island highways once a week should keep things from clogging up.

The coldest I've driven with the summer tires is about 13 or 14 degrees but be aware of your stopping distances!

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
the '44 goes into complete hybernation, including turning in the plates..
Baby is allowed out only on very nice days when the roads are dry and he is driven very slowly to avoid kicking up sand/rocks/salt.

in fact, someone just shared w/me a great punchlist to winterizing your p-car.. i'll break it down to share.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Both P cars getting semi-tucked in Dec. 1st -April 1st. My garage isnt big enough to hold even 1 so I rent space for 4 months in a building right across the street from my work. Works out great. I will definately stretch their legs on nice days. My winter (and weekend project) ride is a 99 Chevy Silverado 4X4.

I just did a 5 hour exterior detailing yesterday on the CS. I removed the not-so-clear bra, clayed, polished and waxed her. 914 is up next.

·
Registered
667 Posts
heck no!!! i'll be driving it to the holiday party....rain, snow, or shine :)

may be putting on the winter tires this weekend....

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm not in NY area, but we get pretty harsh winters here in Minnesota. Mine has been hibernating for about a month already. It makes my SAD even sadder...;) Getting my Cayman out of the garage in April makes me look like a kid opening presents on Christmas. I just count the days and wait for the snow and sand to clear off the roads.

·
Registered
353 Posts
All-weather tires and sub-freezing temperatures turns my Cayman S into one heck of a winter super-car. These machines were specifically developed for the winter. This is the time when Porsches really excel.

I’m one of those who can barely stand waiting for lunch to ‘take her out’, much less keep here in a garage where all things rubber get stiff and weak (including its value). I simply can’t stand driving ANYTHING else! Heck if I’m going to keep it fresh and pretty for some second hand owner to enjoy when the time comes for replacement.

Now, driving in NYC is something of a completely different matter. I saw a taxi rear-end a brand new 911 Turbo on 59th. Not for the faint of heart. I’ll never take my car there!

-Stevie

·
Registered
667 Posts
All-weather tires and sub-freezing temperatures turns my Cayman S into one heck of a winter super-car. These machines were specifically developed for the winter. This is the time when Porsches really excel.

I’m one of those who can barely stand waiting for lunch to ‘take her out’, much less keep here in a garage where all things rubber get stiff and weak (including its value). I simply can’t stand driving ANYTHING else! Heck if I’m going to keep it fresh and pretty for some second hand owner to enjoy when the time comes for replacement.

Now, driving in NYC is something of a completely different matter. I saw a taxi rear-end a brand new 911 Turbo on 59th. Not for the faint of heart. I’ll never take my car there!

-Stevie
+1 I'm right there with you!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I've been taking my Porsche cars off the road in the winter for about 25 years. Turning in the plates is a pain (NY is serious about this, or so they say) Road salt, sand and some kind of slag that has glass shards just make winter driving a good car not worth it for me. Yes, I'm a bit anal about keeping my cars clean. Not that I don't enjoy driving is the snow. The Mini with Blizzaks is great fun.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Gave it the Dawn wash today, little clay certain areas, pulled tires, washed waxed wheels, 1st Zaino, 1 more tomorrow then interior, and the cover goes on, batt tender waiting for use, not a fan of the winter.......:( and too anal to sacrafice the car, its a keeper.:cheers:

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'll use it weekends until the first snow as long as its sunny and dry. Once the snow hits and the roads have been salted it'll be washed and put on the battery tender. I'll start it and try and get it warm and around the block to avoid the flat spots but that'll be the extent of it till the spring. I won't rush to detail it all at once but once its washed I'll take my time and detail a little bit at a time over the winter.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I will have mine ready to go all the time. It is a 3rd vehicle so only salt free rides will be taken. I have seen very warm winter temps and I plan on taking advantage of them.

Oh yea FAB944 lives nearby so if I see his Croc at the Giant I will post the photos...chains & all...:eek:

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
No winter tires here either but if there's no snow or ice I will continue to drive year around. If bad weather hits, I'll take a pause until the roads are dry then off I go again. I do have a Jeep for the bad days and no plan to hybernate my Cayman.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Mine will be running all winter long except when there is too much snow or ice on the roads. I will also be putting on the winter wheels/tires this weekend. Its a car; just drive it! :drivingskid:

·
Porsche Prophet
942 Posts
First winter (got it at the end of February this year)...I drove it as soon as I got it...my wife had reminded me that right after I had taken delivery, it rained for the entire spring and into the summer...:hilarious:
I intend to drive it as much as I can...it is garaged and I have the luxury of another car (4 wheel drive)...if the winter was like last season (we had good weather all the way to mid-January), I will drive it as long as the DOC does not salted the entire city on the speculation of frost...:hilarious:

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
ok, another porsche forum posted the list "how to winterize your porsche."

where is our list?
for folks like me who will semi-hybernate or fully-hybernate both porsches, what to do first?

the boxster will see occasional use.. weather permitting.
he will have his full service and thorough detailing inside and out by the dealer in two weeks... anything else?

the '44 will be a complete hybernation - he already had his full service and i detail him after every track event... what else does he need before he goes to sleep for three months?

last year, i did nothing special except empty all the junk, turn off the garage lights and occasionally started them up with a quick run around the block. In the spring, they both had this nasty garage micro-grime and never identified the source. it was yucky!! the '44 sprung leaks everywhere.. i really want to avoid that this year.. and yes, in the spring i replaced all the gaskets/hoses, etc. now he is dry as a bone and i'd like to keep it that way.

so where do i start?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts