Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Boxster S - very well cared for 90K miles.
Had a CEL come on today, car running fine, nothing seems wrong.
I've done all my own maintenance, including major service (spark plugs et all) at 60K and changed the oil every year despite only putting a few thousand miles on it some years due to my health.

The service message has been on for 20K miles but I've no way to get rid of it so just ignore it.

Would appreciate it if anyone has one of those devices to plug in and check before perhaps unnecessarily wasting a lot of money at a dealer for something I can do myself.
With the cars current market value it's not economically wise to have jobs done that get close to a third of it's value, when I can do most of these jobs for a tiny fraction of the dealer charge.

Thanks.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you want to get rid of the service message you will need somebody with iCarsoft or Durametric.
To check the CEL light code you can go to any Autozone. It will give you the generic code but in most cases that is enough to point you at least in the general direction. From your post it seems to be emission control related error so generic code read will probably do.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I went to the two AutoZone stores and they have a tool but it didn't fit into the port on the car. They said it's the same for people who come with Audi cars and ask them to check.

I think the cel might be something more. When I started the car up just a moment ago there was a high pitched whining noise from behind (engine area) for about 10 seconds then it went off. The cel is still on (not flashing) and the car continued to drive normally.
I've replaced the water pump before, but it never gave any notice. I recall the cel came on and I stopped the car and water was everywhere. I was lucky I stopped.

I'm wondering if it could be that again, or maybe the alternator or fuel pump?

I filled the tank up just the other day at an ExxonMobil station I rarely use. 91 octane as usual (highest here in Colorado). I wonder if I got a bad tank of gas?
Thoughts?

I'm dropping it off with my local Indy ship on Monday. It's only 2 miles away thankfully.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Who do you like to go to in Broomfield for service?

I am in Lafayette.

I have a standard cheap OBD-II reader for my Volvo an 2006 CS, but it doesn't do resets on service lights. It does understand Porsche codes, though and have some reference for them.

I generally just use the Torque app with a Bluetooth adapter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.