Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wonderin' if anyone has installed a Softronic on a stock 2.7. Would it be smart to do this before installin' an exhaust, and then flashin' it again later after changin' the exhaust? Should I expect the gains that are shown on the Softronic website (245 to 260 hp and 199 to 212 tq)?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another question.... Will the Softronic put anymore strain on the motor and cause the life to be shortened?

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
Flea

If you flash your car first and then Install an AM exhaust dont worry about re-Flashing .The flash will adjust itself automatically I believe .
If you want your 2.7 to have optimal performance and smooth high flow as best as possible you need to install the SRP as well .
Once you have all 3
1.Flash
2.SRP
3AM Exhaust
then ask Scott for the 4.1 Version HIGH FLOW Flash and Re-Flash your car
this will smooth everything out and give you the BEST performance a 2.7 can get .What kind of Exhaust are you Installing ?
Any AM high flowing Air filter will be a bonus ,You have BMC ,EVO and K&N to choose from and it just comes down to personal choice ,I have K& N and it was a beast to install but seems to work good .If I had to do it all over again I would go with the BMC or EVO as my hands will never be the same !!
You can also de-snork your Drivers side side vent for maximum added sound and Performace.(Although some will debate its worthiness) I did mine :)
My 2.7 runs perfectly smooth with the above combination .The motor seems to be working a lot less harder and the difference is amazing. almost feels like a different motor in some ways ,very close to the S model :) but a really Impressive increase in Smooth Power across the board .
In regards to your question about shortning the Life of the 2.7 motor I feel quite the opposite, If its working less and putting less strain on everything in am thinking It will last longer ,But that's Just my Opinion . I have over 40K miles on my 2.7 with the whole softronic kit on it and a Remus exhaust and my Car has NEVER seen the inside of a SHOP .Runs BETTER then NEW :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, prodgers! I've been thinkin' about the SpeedART and Remus exhausts. I might be leanin' toward to the SpeedART a little, but my mind isn't made up 100% yet. I hadn't really thought about the SRP, so I'll look into that more as well. Glad to see that those mods added so power and improved delivery. It's also nice to see that the life expectancy of the motor isn't decreased, due to the motor not havin' to work as hard. I'm just tryin' to unleash what Porsche held back. Thanks again!

·
On Probation
582 Posts
Another question.... Will the Softronic put anymore strain on the motor and cause the life to be shortened?
the question could be will YOU put more strain on the motor/car...if you really start to use the extra power [racing] yes things will wear out much faster than some poser garage queen

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nah, I don't plan to rag the car. I just like power. I had a Ford Lightning before and I loved the power it had, but didn't rag on it. I also have motorwork done to my Harley Road King and I don't abuse it either. I just drive/ride spirited and play with the power. I don't really race anyone and doubt I'll get the car on a track. That doesn't mean that if another vehicle wants to play a little I'll back down, though. lol

I understand the harder I drive the car the faster things will wear out. I just wasn't sure if the Softronic put more strain on the motor with the power increase, and as a result shortens the life of the motor. I guess it comes down to how a particular mod delivers the power, and in the case of the Softronic flash, it seems to be a "safe" mod.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
just about all "canned tunes" are pussycat safe

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have the stock 2.7 setup with the flash. Much smoother delivery, pulls strong to the new 7,600 redline, and MPG iincreased at least 1. It's not as rough when reving from idle, and it seems to allow a little more sliding before PSM kicks in. I didn't notice much more power, but it could be disguised due to the smoother delivery.

No plans on further modifications.

Also, the 2.7 sounds bad-*** out-the-box (most say better than the "S"). Make sure you know what you're getting into with an aftermarket exhaust.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the stock 2.7 setup with the flash. Much smoother delivery, pulls strong to the new 7,600 redline, and MPG iincreased at least 1. It's not as rough when reving from idle, and it seems to allow a little more sliding before PSM kicks in. I didn't notice much more power, but it could be disguised due to the smoother delivery.

No plans on further modifications.

Also, the 2.7 sounds bad-*** out-the-box (most say better than the "S"). Make sure you know what you're getting into with an aftermarket exhaust.
Thanks for chimin' in. Your input was helpful. Especially the part of increased gas mileage.

Not sure what you mean about makin' sure I know what I'm gettin' into with the aftermarket exhaust...? I haven't heard an S model in person. I do believe my '07 base model sounds better (deeper) than my dad's brand new '09 model (less than 400 miles on it). I'm sure his will deepen once it's driven more.

·
Registered
490 Posts
...all I mean regarding the aftermarket exhaust is that they're typically louder than stock. And stock, is pretty loud! I personally would have believed that the stock 2.7 system was aftermarket had I been told before purchasing.

at 4,500 and above, it's pretty loud!

But I also haven't heard an aftermarket in person...

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...all I mean regarding the aftermarket exhaust is that they're typically louder than stock. And stock, is pretty loud! I personally would have believed that the stock 2.7 system was aftermarket had I been told before purchasing.

at 4,500 and above, it's pretty loud!

But I also haven't heard an aftermarket in person...
Ah, ok. I like 'em kinda loud. The Ford Lightning I had (I miss that truck) had the exhaust that exited before the rear wheels. I also had an aftermarket exhaust on it. It was loud, but had a really nice sound to it. It just sounded like it had power. Some of the aftermarket exhausts I hear for the Cayman are the same way. I don't mind sound, as long as it's a nice sound. Some also complain about drone, but I doubt anything would be worse than the Lightning, and I liked the drone at crusin' speeds. It sounded like it was ready to unleash. :)

·
On Probation
582 Posts
Ohh, as opposed to what?
some one who can make "adjustments" that make a car that can bite back...eg adjust EDC,AH,TQC/TQM simple basic stuff for USA cars...add to that an auto shift program. there is alot inside the ECM that hold back cars...all of which will void any guar. if its adjusted

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
Flea

I raced my Cayman against a Ford Lightning once :)
That Truck was Fast and edged me out by a car length .

It was lightning off the start !!!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Flea

I raced my Cayman against a Ford Lightning once :)
That Truck was Fast and edged me out by a car length .

It was lightning off the start !!!
When I had my Lightning, I raced a Mustang while I was pullin' a trailer with a dirtbike on it. The Mustang still couldn't beat it. LOL I used to love a good race with a Corvette. Only race the Lightning got smoked in was against two RX-7's that were sprayin'. I didn't know they were sprayin' until they both passed me with blue flames shootin' out the exhaust. Man, I miss that truck. Not only was it fast, but it could be used like any other F150 too.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
some one who can make "adjustments" that make a car that can bite back...eg adjust EDC,AH,TQC/TQM simple basic stuff for USA cars...add to that an auto shift program. there is alot inside the ECM that hold back cars...all of which will void any guar. if its adjusted
I understand. But who can do that? Have you found such a magical place?

·
On Probation
582 Posts
I understand. But who can do that? Have you found such a magical place?
maybe ferrys faires from the black forest in ger. but those hommies aint givin it up. Of the 3 [ha ha tuners] i spoke to....2 said they dont tune for NOS. they really couldnt answer basic tune 101 [or they chose not to] a third never responded. mine is a GEN11 so i understand them being a little behind and the very low volume....hell i was "breakin bad" 6 months after the c6 corvettes came out....its lookin like i,m sitting in the stands for this seasons drag racing

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.