Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for anyone who might have installed sport headers of any brand with a stock standard exhaust on a 981 S. Curious to see how that sounds since I've been unable to find a proper video of it on YouTube, surprising.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes, fabspeed sport headers with PSE, went back to standard exhaust with headers. (Too much drone in my PDK)
I like it, a bit deeper tone in my opinion

Reactions: GT3fien
720 Posts
I just searched my database to see if I could pull up any video but all of the cars we have done in house have had the PSE. I think with some digging you will find someone on here who has done it. Are you more interested in getting some additional sound or do your interests lean towards more performance?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just installed the Soul Performance catted headers on my Cayman S with the stock exhaust a few weeks ago. It sounds almost like stock when driving around town in the low RPM ranges or maybe slightly louder, but it absolutely opens up once you step on it. The tone is deeper and throatier and it screams at redline.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just searched my database to see if I could pull up any video but all of the cars we have done in house have had the PSE. I think with some digging you will find someone on here who has done it. Are you more interested in getting some additional sound or do your interests lean towards more performance?
I want sound, but more so power. While I think getting a PSE is ideal, I wonder if the headers only option would be the perfect sound without needing to open and close valves.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just installed the Soul Performance catted headers on my Cayman S with the stock exhaust a few weeks ago. It sounds almost like stock when driving around town in the low RPM ranges or maybe slightly louder, but it absolutely opens up once you step on it. The tone is deeper and throatier and it screams at redline.
awesome, would be great if you could send in a video clip of your car across rev ranges etc., but also know that's a hassle to do : )

·
Registered
310 Posts
Contact lovetoturn on this board, he's done a number of mods in a very methodical approach and can document the gains at each step.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you want power and sound but limited to only one mod, then you definitely should do the headers. While the PSE will give you adjustability and the pops/crackle sound, it does nothing to increase the power. Headers with the stock exhaust will provide noticeable mid-range torque as well as an enhanced scream of the flat-six engine from the stock exhaust. I used to have a 2014 PDK Boxster S with the PSE and some catted headers, and I got rid of it because of the drone.

I want sound, but more so power. While I think getting a PSE is ideal, I wonder if the headers only option would be the perfect sound without needing to open and close valves.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sorry, this is my track car and it is currently in storage since it's almost winter here in IL. I am also planning to have the Carnewal GT exhaust conversion done along with the Dream 2 tips next spring before the track opens up again.

awesome, would be great if you could send in a video clip of your car across rev ranges etc., but also know that's a hassle to do : )

·
Registered
72 Posts
I want sound, but more so power. While I think getting a PSE is ideal, I wonder if the headers only option would be the perfect sound without needing to open and close valves.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have my PSE for sale if you are interested. Exhaust only, but I would include the remote, control and valves that I have (no factory console button). It did sound great with the headers - both open and closed... I just could take the drone in 7th
LOVED 4000+ rpm sound w/ valves open - turned heads!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Cargraphic headers and stock CS muffler sound great. Very docile on partial throttle, but opens up when you bury the pedal. Some extra burbles on throttle lift, but not too many or contrived in nature. A few have almost thought it was GT3 before they turned their heads at the track.

Every aftermarket exhaust and even the PSE sometimes will add some degree of drone so I never did that. The power is with the header and a custom tune. I would say it doesn't matter what you are contemplating, cause the first step should be the header for any exhaust, with cat of course. Software will then add a total of 40+ torque and horsepower across the rev range. Final result can be 367hp/314tq, which is pretty stout for our cars.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Looking for anyone who might have installed sport headers of any brand with a stock standard exhaust on a 981 S. Curious to see how that sounds since I've been unable to find a proper video of it on YouTube, surprising.
I have fabspeed catless headers installed on my CS with the stock standard exhaust, if you are anywhere near long beach you can hear it in person. I imagine the catless version being slightly louder than 200 cell cats but the car under normal loud is completely quiet but screams at WOT.

I attached a video of me going WOT down the buttonwillow straight. (download it)

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
I know this thread is now 3-mos old but I'm another guy who installed Soul Performance Catted headers to std exhaust. The engine revs a lot more freely when just sitting still in park or neutral. As others have said, it really opens up in the mid range with a bit more mayhem as you climb through the revs. I was going to add PSE, but I think I may add Dream2 or FabSpeed tips to free it up just a little more.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have the Fabspeed sport headers plus FVD tune, and I purposely kept the Porsche OEM Catback in order to avoid all the drone that you see so many complaints about.
In summary, this setup works perfectly... when you step on it, it gets louder and more "aggressive" than stock. But when you're just cruising, its quiet as if nothing was changed.

I've been wanting to film a video of this for a while, getting the sound recorded properly without wind noise mixing in, is not so simple. I'll try again and will post here if I get good results.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hello barcurl,
Our Cayman also has sport headers, IPD throttle body and the ECU unit has been flashed. Like your car our exhaust is stock.
May I suggest you consider the DREAM2. It provides a mellow sound, about a 2 mpg increase in mileage and an increase in performance.
Please visit our website for additional information: BCVelocityexhaust
Jim

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hello barcurl,
Our Cayman also has sport headers, IPD throttle body and the ECU unit has been flashed. Like your car our exhaust is stock.
May I suggest you consider the DREAM2. It provides a mellow sound, about a 2 mpg increase in mileage and an increase in performance.
Jim
Hi Jim,
Thanks for the suggestion, however, I have already changed the exhaust tips on my car.

Regards,
Brian

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have the Fabspeed sport headers plus FVD tune, and I purposely kept the Porsche OEM Catback in order to avoid all the drone that you see so many complaints about.
In summary, this setup works perfectly... when you step on it, it gets louder and more "aggressive" than stock. But when you're just cruising, its quiet as if nothing was changed.

I've been wanting to film a video of this for a while, getting the sound recorded properly without wind noise mixing in, is not so simple. I'll try again and will post here if I get good results.
I have the 2.7 manual, and just the Maxflo exhaust with oem headers. I went that route bc I believe we share the same headers as the 3.4, and they should be more than adequate for our 2.7s. The exhaust is adequate also, but I wanted to get a little more sound and the dual tips. I was surprised that the maxflo on our 2.7 is perfect. I'm experiencing very little to non existent drone, and the car sound amazing.

Although this was somewhat off topic, I just thought I'd share my experience with the Maxflo on a 2.7 6mt. When I decide to swap in the 3.8, I will get the fabspeed GT4 headers and call it a day.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hello barcurl,
Jim
Any money back guarantee on that MPG increase?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.