Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a 12v socket in the rear of the Cayman - either in the trunk/boot or one of the storage bins?

I am thinking it would be useful for permanently powering a Go-Pro or dash-cam mounted on the luggage stop hoop...

Rich

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Has anyone installed a 12v socket in the rear of the Cayman - either in the trunk/boot or one of the storage bins?

I am thinking it would be useful for permanently powering a Go-Pro or dash-cam mounted on the luggage stop hoop...
If you're permanently mounting something, then just wire it to the fuse panel. Why bother putting a socket in?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Purely for convenience of swapping stuff out. Go-Pro (via usb) one day, phone charger the next...

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Purely for convenience of swapping stuff out. Go-Pro (via usb) one day, phone charger the next...
I've got my dashcam permanently plugged into the outlet on the floor on the passenger side because I've been too lazy to tap it into the fuse panel. So with that one used up already, I've still never found any lack of power considering I've still got available power in the glove box and in the center console as well as the cigarette lighter. :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cables are messy though - am keen to free wires going from cigarette lighter point backwards...

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
There is a small fuse panel on the left side of the trunk behind the carpet near the taillight. My 06 Cayman S had an open slot that I used for some accessories. There is a convenient ground connection right there too. The only issue is that it is always hot +12V and not switched with the ignition. If your 987.2 has the same open fuse slot, then it would be the easiest place to tie into.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
are there any switched 12V sources in the trunk? Preferably on the drivers side in the location delman1012 is talking about?

·
Registered
471 Posts
My Volvo wagon has an always-hot 12V socket in the rear hatch area. I use it when camping or when away from the vehicle and I need to charge a phone or tablet. It never had any impact on battery reserve.

I can see the value in doing this.

I have a marine 12V dual USB socket that I want to install somewhere, to power extra cell phones or whatever. As I haven't yet wired in dashcam or radar detector to the upper console lights, my car is a rats next on a long trip. V1, GPS, phone, radio interface, etc. Very uncoordinated. At some point, I will wire a BlueSea auxiliary fuse panel in to power all of these things without rats nesting the OEM fuse panel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts