Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has heard how many GT4s are destined for 918 owners. The Feb 13 date has come and gone. Dang, I am obsessed with the GT4.

·
Premium Member
4,144 Posts
Sales manager told me yesterday that their 918 buyers deal directly with Porsche on whether they want a GT4 and that it doesn't effect their allocation. Dealership has sold two 918's and he talked in certain terms with first hand experience.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
That seems very high if it's for the NA market. There are only going to be approx. 900 918's worldwide. I read there were only 57 delivered cars in the US as of Nov. 2014.
Apparently 297 US cars. I do not think there is anything in the VIP program that says the car has to be delivered? Is there. I do not see it in the literature.

Post 2096 http://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/81392-cayman-gt3-gt4-testing-complete-production-53.html 400 cars. There are many places where 600 cars are noted for the US.

More discussion on this elsewhere on the net.

Projections means projected, not fact yet.

Sales manager told me yesterday that their 918 buyers deal directly with Porsche on whether they want a GT4 and that it doesn't effect their allocation. Dealership has sold two 918's and he talked in certain terms with first hand experience.
True. After they pull the cars from the US pool. Cars are allocated by percentage Caymans sold, after the 918 buyers get a crack, hence the 400 number. Ask him. That is what I hear.

·
Noob
857 Posts
Curious, why would a 918 buyer want a GT4? Why not just drive that 918?
(I am also accepting donations of 918s incase anyone is bored of theirs and are planning to upgrade to a GT4 :D)

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Curious, why would a 918 buyer want a GT4? Why not just drive that 918?
(I am also accepting donations of 918s incase anyone is bored of theirs and are planning to upgrade to a GT4 :D)
An excellent question.

Here are some reasons. You can think of some more.

• Some people just collect all the GT cars and also have other marques. Its just a car.
  • To give as a present to their son for college graduation, an award, a raffle(?), a charity, or just a sweet 16 present to their daughter (why not?)
  • Take a look at BJ last month. One person bought a charity car for $$$ and turned around and gave it back to be auctioned again. Some people have large car collections. It might not mean the cars are driven.
  • Some might go direct to private museums or corporations. If a company has a corporate jet, why not a super car?
  • Some might buy just to have it on a whim (maybe) and turn a quick profit in the aftermarket. After all, if you got such a huge "perceived" number of people waiting, who wouldn't want to turn a quick $5/$10K profit for signing a few documents? I'm sure someone would buy it.
  • Because they can?

edit. I should add here that I am amazed at how many cars some people might buy in a year. While some people go on expensive vacations, buy a yacht (which is not cheap I gather), buy a small plane, collect piaget watches, or whatever they do, some people buy expensive cars and $100K is peanuts to some people. And that is exactly why they might buy one. Because they can. Its just another car for their collection.

·
Registered
73 Posts

After they pull the cars from the US pool. Cars are allocated by percentage Caymans sold, after the 918 buyers get a crack, hence the 400 number. Ask him. That is what I hear.
So does that mean all dealers get one car or are they are pulling allocations from lowest selling cayman dealers? At this point we can all hope that the big bad GT3RS pulls all the attention from the GT4. I'm sure there are a group of 918 owners whom are only concerned with 911's.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
So does that mean all dealers get one car or are they are pulling allocations from lowest selling cayman dealers?
From what I understand, the 918s come from the top of the pool. Then the rest gets handed out. I can be wrong but that is what I heard. So no, they would not come from the smallest. However, if someone like Sonnen gets 6, as they said, then you know someone else gets 1 (or possibly 0?) Don't know. That part is a guess. Makes sense? I guess we find out soon.

·
Premium Member
4,144 Posts
Up North. Don't know anything else about it except for what he stated. Says one of the 918 guy's likes buying the GT's and high end stuff and essentially bypasses the dealership and it works well for all involved.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
I guess Jay Leno is in line for a GT4.

·
Premium Member
4,144 Posts
Our little baby has grown from a 'hairdressers' car to the hottest car in Porsches lineup.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Our little baby has grown from a 'hairdressers' car to the hottest car in Porsches lineup.
I thought the Miata was the hairdressers' car. Of course, no one thinks that of mine once I crack open the throttle a tad.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Just curious if anyone has heard how many GT4s are destined for 918 owners. The Feb 13 date has come and gone. Dang, I am obsessed with the GT4.
My dealer said 250 of the 600 cars for USA were claimed by 918 VIP customers.

Reactions: chows4us

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
I can believe this. I discussed this as well and was told a lesser number but I can believe it. Its hard to believe but I think we tend to think in our own little box of how we live, and not how "they" live. I think many of those taken will never see the light of day, immediately being put into private collections.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
That's two data points at 200(+) cars, a near 50% take rate is higher than I guessed. Buckle up, it's going to be a bumpy ride for the remaining 350 GT4's if this proves to be true. What will be even more interesting is getting a GT3RS, as the take rate from VIPs will be higher.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I wonder if that means their cars are built first. That could be the first 5 months of production gone, if that is the case. So production for the rest of us starting in October or November?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts