Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my car the cupholder silver trim had a scratch on it. Porsche ordered a new cupholder complete kit and refitted it.

The problem is that the new cupholder trim doesn't sit flush with the silver dash trim on the far left. It sits slightly proud / raised and annoys the crap out of me.

Porsche reckon "that's the best they can do".

Was keen to have a go at attempting to align it myself if anyone can guide me in the right direction????

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
So there are instructions on the web to remove the cup holder unit (check out MAcarbon instructions how to remove 991 cup holder, it's the same.) I would suggest removing the cup holder unit, and check the clips that hold it in. They may be wonky, causing the unit to sit weird. Since it was replaced by the dealer (I presume) they may have wonked it a bit. (btw, wonking is a technical term for messing up and needing realignment...)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So there are instructions on the web to remove the cup holder unit (check out MAcarbon instructions how to remove 991 cup holder, it's the same.) I would suggest removing the cup holder unit, and check the clips that hold it in. They may be wonky, causing the unit to sit weird. Since it was replaced by the dealer (I presume) they may have wonked it a bit. (btw, wonking is a technical term for messing up and needing realignment...)
Great! Looks like I know what I'm up to tomorrow morning. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Did you remove the cup holder assembly? When I had mine out a few days ago I should have taken a photo of the clips that hold it in, so you know what you are up against. With the glove box open you can see and feel the outline of the cup holder unit. It's rectangular with a long chamfer on the back two corners. The clips align with holes that are are on these chamfered edges at the top, about 2" in from either end of the unit.
Here's a rough sketch of what I am talking about. The clip is inside the dash above the cup holder, the engaging holes are in the cup holder unit.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I just liked this because its a beautiful thing with people helping out strangers and even drawing out instructions.

Did you remove the cup holder assembly? When I had mine out a few days ago I should have taken a photo of the clips that hold it in, so you know what you are up against. With the glove box open you can see and feel the outline of the cup holder unit. It's rectangular with a long hamfer on the back two corners. The clips align with holes that are are on these chamfered edges at the top, about 2" in from either end of the unit.
Here's a rough sketch of what I am talking about. The clip is inside the dash above the cup holder, the engaging holes are in the cup holder unit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am so grateful for your help and time to sketch out a drawing for me drPhilGandini. This is going to make life much easier on my 2nd attempt. I tried to find my way around but got a bit nervous with applying too much force to remove/realign... I will be attempting again in the next few days, so watch this space.

And thank you once again. :)

Did you remove the cup holder assembly? When I had mine out a few days ago I should have taken a photo of the clips that hold it in, so you know what you are up against. With the glove box open you can see and feel the outline of the cup holder unit. It's rectangular with a long chamfer on the back two corners. The clips align with holes that are are on these chamfered edges at the top, about 2" in from either end of the unit.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
The MACarbon instructions to remove the 991 cupholder simply say grab tight and pull. I finally got mine out this way, but you sure have to grab tight, and upon removal noticed that the clips had left score marks on the plastic body as I tugged them out. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the clips in the dash (that engage in the square holes in the cup holder unit) flex upward. It might be hard to find them visually as you can't get your head inside the glove box, but knowing where they are, you should be able to feel them.
Even if you can't find the clips, I assure you that a strong enough pull on the cup holder unit will result in it coming out! Good luck.
PS, I also think we never pull on plastic trim hard enough! It's just human nature to think you are pulling too hard, and will break the clips. I'm always surprised how hard I have to pull or tug or flex or bend a trim piece to finally release it.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
PS, I also think we never pull on plastic trim hard enough! It's just human nature to think you are pulling too hard, and will break the clips. I'm always surprised how hard I have to pull or tug or flex or bend a trim piece to finally release it.
That's all well and good until it turns out that intuition was correct and overriding it results in trashing something.

I'm reminded of a few weeks back when I was trying to figure out how to turn on my rear fog light... :D

Reactions: MidEngine-Fan

·
Registered
360 Posts
I tried the "pull very hard" method to remove the cup holder in order to replace it with carbon fiber. I was afraid of breaking something so I devised an alternate method. I wedged three plastic cards (AAA) right at the edge of the opening part (one at a time) under the cup holder, until they stopped, pushed in about 2.25 inches. This allowed the edge of the clip to clear the bottom and the requisite pull was relatively ease. No worry needed.

williamr

1 - 9 of 9 Posts