Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched this forum, NHTSA, edmunds, and KBB and no one seems to have crash tested one of these things? The only information is that the use of high strength steel and aluminum in conjunction with air bags makes this a safe car.

My main reason for this post is that I have to transport my 5 year-old daughter with me at times. I am getting the air bag de-activation kit put in. Does anyone know if this kit just shuts off the front air bags, or all of them?
How safe is this car for her if all the airbags are off and we are involved in a crash?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Gumpy.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
I haven't seen any official crash test results but anectdotally from accidents that have occurred it seems to be a pretty safe car. I had the airbag deactivation switch installed as well, although with the carseat installed and child onboard even in automatic mode the light comes on that he airbag is deactivated. I don't know if that is front only, or front and side, it would make sense that it would be both in a car so small but you'd have to verify that with Porsche to be sure or see if there is any info in the deactivation kit about it as I don't recall since it has been several years since it was installed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

It makes me feel better when I am transporting my daughter.

I will ask about the airbag de-activation switch this week.

Gumpy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Enjoy it.

I used to take all three of my daughters to school everyday in an old 911. The two youngest ones fit in the back seat just fine, and they thought it was great. It was our daily school bus until they started playing school sports and we had way too much stuff in the car. No airbag to deactivate on the older cars, of course.

Steve
06 CS

·
Registered
31 Posts
excuse my dumb question guys, but if no one crashed the car (in a test)....how do we know the car is safe... or what star rating it is equivalent to??

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got my Cayman 2 weeks ago and also transport my 5 yr old in his booster chair. 2 questions: (1) Why do you need a deactivation kit if the warning light states that the airbag is automatically turned off? THis confuses me. (2) Has anyone bought the latch system for the passenger seat? Does it work with universal car seats? Thanks ahead of time...

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
I just got my Cayman 2 weeks ago and also transport my 5 yr old in his booster chair. 2 questions: (1) Why do you need a deactivation kit if the warning light states that the airbag is automatically turned off? THis confuses me. (2) Has anyone bought the latch system for the passenger seat? Does it work with universal car seats? Thanks ahead of time...

Deactivation switch allows you to keep it deactivated and not rely on the auto sensor (which isn't always accurate btw). There is a LATCH article in our articles section that should answer all of your questions, have you looked there?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I wondered about this too. I suppose it depends how much your using the a car seat or booster. I have a Gen 2 and have driven my 7 year old around on occasion and auto deactivation has worked fine. I posed this question to my dealer who basically said it was redundant to add the keyed system. I got the impression that the systems have been improved in Gen II cars. I am still debating the option...I am more interested in the latch attachment points.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts