Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of posts from GTS pilots on here, but not sure I've read much from people who were actually motivated to move from an S to a GTS. Anyone here done it?

How'd that go for ya? Overall do you think the move was worth the expense?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Lots of posts from GTS pilots on here, but not sure I've read much from people who were actually motivated to move from an S to a GTS. Anyone here done it?

How'd that go for ya? Overall do you think the move was worth the expense?
Unless you've got a serious hankerin' for Alcantara, there's not much incentive in making this move in and of itself.

Now... if you've got an S and it doesn't have a bunch of options you would have liked... and getting them is enough to make you want a new car... then you'll be making the same choice as everyone else looking for a heavily optioned S. Do you get the heavily optioned S, or does the GTS make more sense?

If you're wondering if the miniscule power bump is worth the expense... there's just no way it is. If you're rich and money is no object, then maybe it's "worth" it but at that point you're not really in a position to make that observation.

Not sure if any of this was helpful... but there it is. :)

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Unless you've got a serious hankerin' for Alcantara, there's not much incentive in making this move in and of itself.

Now... if you've got an S and it doesn't have a bunch of options you would have liked... and getting them is enough to make you want a new car... then you'll be making the same choice as everyone else looking for a heavily optioned S. Do you get the heavily optioned S, or does the GTS make more sense?

If you're wondering if the miniscule power bump is worth the expense... there's just no way it is. If you're rich and money is no object, then maybe it's "worth" it but at that point you're not really in a position to make that observation.

Not sure if any of this was helpful... but there it is. :)
I agree, it doesn't look that much different exterior wise, the minimum hp gain is irrelevant, unless you got an 'S' with no options, it might be worth it. S to a GT4 makes more sense but good luck getting on the waiting list.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Now... if you've got an S and it doesn't have a bunch of options you would have liked... and getting them is enough to make you want a new car... then you'll be making the same choice as everyone else looking for a heavily optioned S. :)
Right on Weasel,

I switched from an '14 S to a '15 GTS. The list price was within $4K of each other. My S had a bunch of comfy features, and the GTS kept things simple and Sporty.

If I were starting from scratch it would simply be a matter of money. If you can get a modestly equipped GTS at a small discount, do it. And, if you can get an S with the options you like with a larger discount, do it.

The transition from an S to the GTS cost me $18,000 net net net. It would have been more but I retail sold my S. Was it worth $18K more? No, but that wasn't the point. I had already decided to change from an '14 S bought of the lot, to an ordered '15 S with the options I wanted. So, the cost would have been in the $13K range more. So, the accurate question is was it worth $5K difference to choose the GTS? Absolutely!

So, I would describe my S as an almost perfect car. And, when you add the Porsche options and bits that come with a GTS, I think you have the perfect Porsche - have never heard otherwise.

Funny, I'm upgrading my GTS to get the new GT4, and am doing so knowing it will have some compromises over the GTS. No longer will I have a car that is as smooth driving on streets as it is on the track. No longer will have the delightfully smart PDK. No longer will I have the perfectly matched power/brakes/tires/feel of a perfectly balanced Porsche. But, I MUST HAVE THE POWER so I'm making the switch.

I like the GTS A LOT. But, an properly equipped S is 99% of the way there.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Bottom line (with almost any car purchase) = when you can afford the base model...wait....save for a bit longer and get the higher model.
Wish I had done this 3 times now.

Reactions: HassaanAbdeen

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
1. I disagree with monkeyboy (why does it sound so weird to say that). Anyway, if you adopt that strategy you'll always be playing the waiting game instead of living and enjoying, >> right now <<. Life is too short and fleeting, here one minute, gone the next. Sure, it's good to plan for the future, and we should, but deferring one's pleasure that's dependent upon a physical thing because there may be a better version of that physical thing x time units from now is folly.

2. No hate brother but Baege -- why why why would you consider a GTS when the S model's capacity for thrust was too much for you and your locale (remember "the honeymoon is over"?). Crazy talk.

thinking out loud | mileages vary

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've driven the S many times and compared to the GTS I'd be lying if I said I felt the extra power. On a track you'd be a few ticks faster but in the real world the extra 15 hp is barely noticeable. I think if you're looking at an S with few options, then the extra cost to the GTS is probably not worth it. (Due to the lower allocations of the GTS you can probably also negotiate a bigger discount on an S.) But if you're looking at an S with options that come standard on the GTS (full leather, PSE, SC, PASM, 20-inchers, etc.) then I think the GTS is hands-down the better choice, assuming you can get an allocation.

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
I don't see much incentive to move from S to GTS. It's basically the same car with few bits and pieces and few hp more.S to GT4 - oh yes.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Going from PDK to manual :drivingskid:
Right on Weasel,

I switched from an '14 S to a '15 GTS. The list price was within $4K of each other. My S had a bunch of comfy features, and the GTS kept things simple and Sporty.

If I were starting from scratch it would simply be a matter of money. If you can get a modestly equipped GTS at a small discount, do it. And, if you can get an S with the options you like with a larger discount, do it.

The transition from an S to the GTS cost me $18,000 net net net. It would have been more but I retail sold my S. Was it worth $18K more? No, but that wasn't the point. I had already decided to change from an '14 S bought of the lot, to an ordered '15 S with the options I wanted. So, the cost would have been in the $13K range more. So, the accurate question is was it worth $5K difference to choose the GTS? Absolutely!

So, I would describe my S as an almost perfect car. And, when you add the Porsche options and bits that come with a GTS, I think you have the perfect Porsche - have never heard otherwise.

Funny, I'm upgrading my GTS to get the new GT4, and am doing so knowing it will have some compromises over the GTS. No longer will I have a car that is as smooth driving on streets as it is on the track. No longer will have the delightfully smart PDK. No longer will I have the perfectly matched power/brakes/tires/feel of a perfectly balanced Porsche. But, I MUST HAVE THE POWER so I'm making the switch.

I like the GTS A LOT. But, an properly equipped S is 99% of the way there.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not really contemplating the move (once in a while I think if I go CPO next time it will be GTS, mainly for looks and sound, not extra thrust which in my case might be a bust :)), but just noticed it didn't seem to happen much and wondered how those who did do it felt about it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a 13 Boxster S...I like the front fascia of the GTS better and there is no third radiator upgrade for the Boxster that I can find. I also don't love the fake suede...but really love my Amber/Agate full leather interior. It doesn't make financial sense for me to drop the S and get the GTS so I just bought the Aero kit with the third radiator from Suncoast and am in the process of installing it. Someday I hope they will get the tune setup and the small HP difference will be no more.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I just don't see the GTS offering me anything I don't already have in my 981 S. If I was out shopping for a new 981, I would look at the GTS as another viable model variation, but wouldn't get rid of a perfectly good car for minor upgrades.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I just don't see the GTS offering me anything I don't already have in my 981 S. If I was out shopping for a new 981, I would look at the GTS as another viable model variation, but wouldn't get rid of a perfectly good car for minor upgrades.
This makes perfect sense and sums it up nicely.

While we didn't move from S to GTS, the main reasons the GTS made sense to us was it included many of the options we already planned to get at a reasonable price PLUS some extra style items and doodads that we wouldn't have gotten with a fully optioned S unless we bumped up the price even more. Or at all in some instances. Having something a little more unique is a nice thought, but I'm under no illusions that this model will depreciate just a quickly as an S would have.

·
Registered
948 Posts
If you have an Cayman S with Sport Plus seats, Sport Exhaust, X73 Sport Suspension, PTV, 20" Wheels, Deviating stitching, and a software bump in HP, then you will know what I mean when I say there is something indefinably special about your car.

If not, get a GTS. :)

All Cayman's are special in my opinion. But optioned like a GTS and they are as close to perfect as you can get a sports car.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Going from PDK to manual :drivingskid:
Yeah, I know its nuts, especial after finally learning how to brace my heal and toe against the dead pedal. Just nuts.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The GTS is a great package but there is a lot of hype floating around. I drove one and it felt almost identical to my S with PTV, PASM, etc save for the fuzzy interior, exhaust, and larger wheels.

If I was in the market for a cayman now. It would be probably GTS or GT4 just due to how things are priced out.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
The GTS is a great package but there is a lot of hype floating around. I drove one and it felt almost identical to my S with PTV, PASM, etc save for the fuzzy interior, exhaust, and larger wheels.

If I was in the market for a cayman now. It would be probably GTS or GT4 just due to how things are priced out.
That's because it IS almost identical to your S. :D There seems to be confusion over what the GTS really is. Hell, I ordered mine with leather so the only difference between mine and a loaded up S is some slightly different bumpers, a bit of different trim, 15 hp and a sound symposer. And an extra radiator.

These are not things you will notice on a test drive. This are things you will appreciate as freebies over getting a top-spec S model.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I looked VERY closely at the S vs GTS question and ultimately decided on the S due to these factors:

- I didn't like alcantara and didn't like the fact I got nothing off the price of the car for opting to delete it.
- I wanted X73, not PASM, and yet even though PASM is about $500 more expensive, you got no credit for "downgrading" to X73 (more wasted money)
- While I liked the revised front and rear facia of the GTS, the smoked head and tailights did nothing for me.
- Dealers are stingier with GTS allotment than that of the S... which leads me to my final point
- Ultimately a similarly equipped GTS would have been $5000-$6000 more than an S

And for me, that was just too much money for the only things I wanted in the GTS that I couldn't get in the S - which was the power bump and the better looking front and rear bumpers. Although I do admit I was on the fence about it.

Reactions: formisano

·
Registered
226 Posts
Lemon @ Schnell will sell you the revised rear diffuser for under $200. The rest of the bumper is the same...And the lights can be had for under $500.

Reactions: 293866
1 - 20 of 70 Posts