866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If anyone is near

Newark, DE

To check out a Cayman for me?

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I'm 12 miles away. PM me and I can go check it out and send you some pictures. Let me know specifically what you want me to look at.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PM sent with info! Thanks

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is one of the great things about our P9 group and the support here!

Fantistic support! I was thinking of booking a flight but to obtain anyting reasonable, would have cost around 1K. Having the community here is fantastic!

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
rackhenry: I looked at the car today. Bottom line up front: I wouldn't get it.

I went over the car in detail. For the exterior, there were a lot of small chips all over the front. It was hard to notice at first until you got up close. That made me ask if the car had been tracked. Sure enough, the SA said it had but "not very much". Yeah right. I was actually surprised that the SA was honest with me. The previous owner was a long time customer and is trading this car in for a CGTS.

I didn't think the car was very well cared for just based on the condition and cleanliness of the exterior, wheels and calipers. Whoever owned it didn't care about how it looked. The rear tires were heavily worn. The right rear tire was down to just above the wear bar while the left rear tire had much more tread life left. That made me suspect that the left rear tire was replaced without replacing the other tire or that these tires were tracked....but something wasn't right. The SA said that the owner swapped tires for track days. The front tires were fine. There were also some minor chips around the side vents.

The interior was fine and without any major or minor flaws. I started the engine and listened to it and walked around the car. No major issues. It sounded fine and no white smoke. The frunk and trunk looked in great shape.

The odd thing was that I was not allowed to drive it because the car is on "consignment" from the owner. In fact, the car still had his Delaware license plate on it and his insurance stuff in the glove box. I've never heard of this arrangement.

The whole thing just didn't sound right to me.

I took a few pictures. Let me know if you want me to send them to you.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First thank you for your efforts, you saved me from buying a car that was described by the dealer as in 9/10 shape all around. I simply cannot believe how close I came to buying what I thought was a top notch car, priced at market price, not discounted for what appears to be heavy track use. I was actually signing the contract later today had you not checked the car out for me!

For others considering a remote car purchase from a dealer... Do not take the dealers word for condition and have it checked out by someone you know, or as in this case someone on the forum!!!

What also surprises me is that Porsche will CPO a car in this shape.

Reactions: subshooter

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Great work by 'subshooter'. There is no substitute for an in person evaluation. As far as the consignment I would bet the owner expects to get a courtesy trade thereby lightening the tax burden on his newly ordered car. This is a good one to walk away from and the dealer at the same time since they are facilitating the sale of a less then perfect car. Good luck finding your car patience and persistence will pay off. There are any number of fantastic garage queens out there waiting to be acquired.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
If you decide to look at another remote car, you can always ask the dealer to refund your plane ticket cost (let's assume $3-400 for coach vs $1k first class) if you fly out in exchange for a refundable deposit you give on the phone (meaning you get your plane ticket cost back regardless of a sale, important point). May be worth it. A motivated salesman may be willing to do this.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you decide to look at another remote car, you can always ask the dealer to refund your plane ticket cost (let's assume $3-400 for coach vs $1k first class) if you fly out in exchange for a refundable deposit you give on the phone (meaning you get your plane ticket cost back regardless of a sale, important point). May be worth it. A motivated salesman may be willing to do this.
Ill give this a shot! It's winter in most of the country so it may be an ideal time!

Thanks

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great work by 'subshooter'. There is no substitute for an in person evaluation. As far as the consignment I would bet the owner expects to get a courtesy trade thereby lightening the tax burden on his newly ordered car. This is a good one to walk away from and the dealer at the same time since they are facilitating the sale of a less then perfect car. Good luck finding your car patience and persistence will pay off. There are any number of fantastic garage queens out there waiting to be acquired.
Really the dealer here is not ideal in my book!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

It is true, I cannot believe how right you are, patience finally paid off. Found a local 2011, Factory (PTV) LSD, PASM, PDK, Chrono and factory GT2 seats with nine thousand miles and CPO for 3 more years!, for less than the one I started this thread about!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts