Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was thinking of getting an used 981 S manual that are selling now for about $52k, use for about 3 years till the 718 s depreciates and then upgrade to a 718 S. Then i just realized that if i do not check a single box a brand new 718 S msrp is just $68,750.
I do not need pse since no major difference (will go with after market exhaust). I dont need other bells whistles like things getting stiffer/more responsive by turning wheels on the steering, i dont need rev matching on downshifts and things like that. All I need is black on black 718 S with 19" wheels. The only 2 boxes I may check is the tinted tail lights and aluminum fuel cover..
We know 8% of msrp is not unreal. Many on these forums have got that kind of discount. Which means I can easily get a brand new 718 S with zero options for $68k out the door (taxes , fees included). Am I missing something ? Please chime in if anyone of you have purchased one this way and later regretted anything.. Thanks

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I was thinking of getting an used 981 S manual that are selling now for about $52k, use for about 3 years till the 718 s depreciates and then upgrade to a 718 S. Then i just realized that if i do not check a single box a brand new 718 S msrp is just $68,750.
I do not need pse since no major difference (will go with after market exhaust). I dont need other bells whistles like things getting stiffer/more responsive by turning wheels on the steering, i dont need rev matching on downshifts and things like that. All I need is black on black 718 S with 19" wheels. The only 2 boxes I may check is the tinted tail lights and aluminum fuel cover..
We know 8% of msrp is not unreal. Many on these forums have got that kind of discount. Which means I can easily get a brand new 718 S with zero options for $68k out the door (taxes , fees included). Am I missing something ? Please chime in if anyone of you have purchased one this way and later regretted anything.. Thanks
My car had options, not all of which I cared about. However consider:
1. Not sure if they upgraded the base stereo, but it was so awful on the 981 that the Bose was a worthwhile upgrade for most.
2. Try the sports seats and the sports seats plus. Most seem to think that the plus are worth the money.
3. Seat heating? It's a must for me, but I drive all winter.
4. Finally, with black on black, a set of colored seatbelts (red or yellow) would look awesome.

Without any options it's still an awesome car.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
OP, if you ever intend to take that car for spirited drive through corners, check PTV. Take it from one who said, on a previous car, "nah, I don't need limited slip differential" - and then ordered it on a Cayman. I cannot describe or explain to you the difference, but it is huge. Yes, even in spirited street driving, not just racetrack. Granted, you could do that (LSD) as well after market.

·
Registered
897 Posts
If your going to keep the car forever then I’d say as long as your happy with a “stripper car” then go for it.

On the other hand, if you plan to upgrade your “stripper car” in the future your going to have a very limited resale market.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OP, if you ever intend to take that car for spirited drive through corners, check PTV. Take it from one who said, on a previous car, "nah, I don't need limited slip differential" - and then ordered it on a Cayman. I cannot describe or explain to you the difference, but it is huge. Yes, even in spirited street driving, not just racetrack. Granted, you could do that (LSD) as well after market.
PTV forces you to select PASM.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My car had options, not all of which I cared about. However consider:
1. Not sure if they upgraded the base stereo, but it was so awful on the 981 that the Bose was a worthwhile upgrade for most.
2. Try the sports seats and the sports seats plus. Most seem to think that the plus are worth the money.
3. Seat heating? It's a must for me, but I drive all winter.
4. Finally, with black on black, a set of colored seatbelts (red or yellow) would look awesome.

Without any options it's still an awesome car.
thanks for the red seatbelt tip on a black on black car. Looks swesome..and costs just $360

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If your going to keep the car forever then I’d say as long as your happy with a “stripper car” then go for it.

On the other hand, if you plan to upgrade your “stripper car” in the future your going to have a very limited resale market.
options depreciate 80% in 3 years. check youtube videos on Porsche depreciation by JP. Since I don't need them anyway it does not make sense to get them for some future buyer or resale value. A stripper car will depreciate same as any other fully optioned (proportionally). Try finding a black on black cayman (981 or 718) with 19" wheels , manual. Even finding a good 987 S is hard..

·
Registered
897 Posts
Agree on all of this regarding depreciation on cars as well as options.

Ultimately you need to be happy with your decision best of luck.

options depreciate 80% in 3 years. check youtube videos on Porsche depreciation by JP. Since I don't need them anyway it does not make sense to get them for some future buyer or resale value. A stripper car will depreciate same as any other fully optioned (proportionally). Try finding a black on black cayman (981 or 718) with 19" wheels , manual. Even finding a good 987 S is hard..

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
You won't get 8% on a "stripper". Less options means less profit for Porsche. But to your question....My first Cayman was a 2014 base with VERY few options. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVwqHpGF9sQ
Its still a great car even with no options. But having had a few options on my 981 Boxster and now my 718, it would be hard to give up some of the creature comforts.
Hey Steve, are there options you regret getting or not getting on your 718? Beautiful car by the way, and I still follow your Porsche YouTube videos.

·
Registered
832 Posts
You do know that the options check list is like potato chips? There addictive and you can't check just one. lol I think getting a no option S is a great idea. Cautions are of course that adding an option later is far more expensive than checking the box. PS, there were some no cost options like footwell netting, smoking package, etc. Be sure to get all the zero cost items you want. Good Luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am interested in a minimalist base Boxster myself. Not a single option. Red, or maybe white, with a black interior. To me, this generation has solved all of the shortcomings of the previous models....300hp <Standard>, 6 speed manual <Standard>, 18 inch wheels <Standard>, 4 piston calipers <Standard>, a really good base steering wheel <Standard>, HID lighting <Standard>. Since this car would be a weekend toy only, I would prefer a more pure and minimal feel. Priced in the mid $50's it sort of feels like good value to me.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The only Boxster paid options I ticked were PDK and GT Sports steering wheel and I'm very happy with the outcome.

--Note that some of the options in the US are standard here in Australia. I have a list--somewhere. The main ones I remember were the heated multi-function steering wheel, upgraded infotainment with navigation, PDLS, larger fuel tank, heated 14 way seats, dimming mirrors and rain sensor, 2 zone climate control.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You won't get 8% on a "stripper". Less options means less profit for Porsche. But to your question....My first Cayman was a 2014 base with VERY few options. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVwqHpGF9sQ
Its still a great car even with no options. But having had a few options on my 981 Boxster and now my 718, it would be hard to give up some of the creature comforts.

Actually I just ordered a 2018 "stripper" in mid-August and got 8.2% off. My car is a base white Cayman with standard black interior. The only option is PDK. I'm paying $54,670 at a local dealer here in NJ. It's currently on a ship going to Jacksonville. I'll pick it up at the Experience Center in late November.
If I'd have ordered a base, no-option car with manual trans, I'm quite sure I could have gotten it for around $52,000.
I just sold my NB Miata (great car) so my current daily driver is a very nice '69 MGB with AM radio. I love my MG but I'm pretty sure that even a base Cayman will seem like an upgrade.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Actually I just ordered a 2018 "stripper" in mid-August and got 8.2% off. My car is a base white Cayman with standard black interior. The only option is PDK. I'm paying $54,670 at a local dealer here in NJ. It's currently on a ship going to Jacksonville. I'll pick it up at the Experience Center in late November.
If I'd have ordered a base, no-option car with manual trans, I'm quite sure I could have gotten it for around $52,000.
I just sold my NB Miata (great car) so my current daily driver is a very nice '69 MGB with AM radio. I love my MG but I'm pretty sure that even a base Cayman will seem like an upgrade.
A Honda Civic is an upgrade from a 69 MGB. lol

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
To OP: you will get at least 95% of the enjoyment on the your new stripper S compared to other builds, especially if you want MT. Go for it. Nothing like picking up you own newly spec'ed P car , without the often frivolous options dealers put on their builds , or making do with a used car with uncertain history. Don't let anyone tell *you* about must have options for *your* car.

Reactions: GregW

·
Registered
48 Posts
To daschtick: you prob misspoke. HIDS are not standard. Xenon lights are standard. And to Greg W: hell yes EVERYTHING should be standard for what you guys have to pay-LOL

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well, i would have liked to get the S of course, but couldn't justify the extra money...so i guess that doesn't count as a regret. I do wish i had the sport chrono just for the response button and launch, but again not a regret. I almost got a car with the sport tec graphite and chalk seats...That may be my only real regret. That combo really sets the car apart from the standard black interior that 90% of all of our cars have. But the problem is that once you start checking those boxes, you look at the total and realize that somehow you have added 30k to the car. In the end, it is still an event to get in the car and drive it. I am 9k miles in since i got it in March. Winter is coming in Colorado so I will only be getting limited time for the next few months. Thank goodness for nice winter days :) Driving the Jeep Renegade is not the same at all :(

·
Registered
268 Posts
And to Greg W: hell yes EVERYTHING should be standard for what you guys have to pay-LOL
Yes!
Although the total isn't that excessive except for the TAXES the government takes--believe me, I checked and I couldn't get a decent holiday in England for the difference in price (it has to be a right hand drive for Australia). Our government even has some taxes on top of other taxes.:(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.