Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to replace pads. Anyone replace with Ceramic pads? Which brand and how was performance?

I did this on my 986 BS and they were great.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have used Akebono's on my other cars and agree they are awesome. I just emailed them the other week inquiring why there aren't any listed for 981's and they claim there aren't enough 981's to justify them making brake pads for them. I thought that was odd, but that's what they replied.

Perhaps a good bunch of us on this and other forums can keep requesting that they reconsider their stance. My 1991 BMW M5 with stock size rotors and Akebono ceramic pads has superior brake feel to my 2013 BS, and the old school M5 weighs a tick over 3800 pounds! And they hardly make any dust! Oh how I wish I could have the same pads for our 981's!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've subbed this thread. If anyone notices that Akebono adds a fitment for the 981 perhaps he/she could post here and give us all the heads up. I had Akebono Euro Ceramics on my Audi S5 and loved them in every regard, but especially regarding the pedal pressure gradient... they aren't grabby at first like the stock pads but build braking force in a linear fashion with increasing pressure -- very easy to modulate braking.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Somewhat good news for 981 owners looking for Akebono ceramic brake pads for our rides, yet could use your help still. I emailed Akebono again (under a different email this time ;-) ) telling them that many 981 owners are Akebono fans and want Akebono ceramic pads. This time instead of a "not enough cars to make it worthwhile" response, I was cc:d on a response from Ken Selinger at Akebono to 4 other Akebono employees. Message was "Akebono team- please investigate this application and see if it's viable for us to tool up and offer it. Please let me know what you determine. Thank you."

Bottom line folks...keep those email requests to Akebono coming!! Let's show them we want their awesome pads for our cars. My 1991 BMW M5 has stock rotors and Akebonos and the feel is superior to my stock BS Porsche brakes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Somewhat good news for 981 owners looking for Akebono ceramic brake pads for our rides, yet could use your help still. I emailed Akebono again (under a different email this time ;-) ) telling them that many 981 owners are Akebono fans and want Akebono ceramic pads. This time instead of a "not enough cars to make it worthwhile" response, I was cc:d on a response from Ken Selinger at Akebono to 4 other Akebono employees. Message was "Akebono team- please investigate this application and see if it's viable for us to tool up and offer it. Please let me know what you determine. Thank you."

Bottom line folks...keep those email requests to Akebono coming!! Let's show them we want their awesome pads for our cars. My 1991 BMW M5 has stock rotors and Akebonos and the feel is superior to my stock BS Porsche brakes.
Do you have an e-mail address and name to direct our interest to? I was just forced to order a set of Hawk Performance Ceramics because I need something and Akebono doesn't have the application yet.

Reactions: canux

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ok guys, I just sent the below e-mail to Ken...

Hello Ken,

Your name and e-mail were given to me by some other Porsche enthusiasts over on the Planet-9.com forum. I just purchased a 2015 Cayman base with just 6,000 miles on it. I immediately noticed that I really do not like the feel of the stock pads, they are too sensitive on initial application just like the Audi S4 and S5 that were my past two cars. Back when I first bought my S4 and I began searching for an alternative brake pad, one with better more linear feel and low dust properties, I discovered the Akebono Euro Ceramics and put them on… voila, excellent feel, good braking, and no dust! When I traded my S4 for the S5 manual I immediately did the same thing.

After driving my new-to-me Cayman just one day I felt the same annoyance with the initial bite that is difficult to modulate and said to myself, “no problem, just install some Akebonos!” Turns out you don’t yet have this application.

I’m writing to encourage Akebono to consider adding a fitment for the Cayman (and other Porsches if you don’t now have them). While Cayman/Boxter unit volume might not be high as some other manufacturers models I think in marketing terms that Porsche is considered the premier sports car line. As such when other marque enthusiast see their Porsche owner friends with Akebono pads it will be a significant influencer on their brake pad choice. Also, you might be surprised how many you sell as Porsche owners are perhaps the most involved with their cars mechanically of any marque. (I’m sure other marque owners would argue with that ;-))

At any rate, thanks for your time in considering this and bringing it to the attention the appropriate people in your organization. If you do add a Cayman/Boxter application please let the various forums know and I’m sure you’ll see some orders start coming in, I know I’d order a set immediately. Just as a last bit of motivation to pass along, because I couldn’t get the Akebonos I was forced to order one of your competitors products, a set of Hawk Performance Ceramics… likely a second best choice. I’ll get them installed soon and see what they’re like.

Again, thanks for your time and consideration, and for making such a great product!

Randy Lervold
Yakima, WA
2015 Porsche Cayman

Reactions: wagzhp

·
Registered
14 Posts
I recently installed Powerstop Z23 compound "carbon fiber infused ceramic" pads on the front of my 981S. Good pedal feel and stopping power (must be bedded) - hardly any dust. I track my car, and use race pads there, but VERY happy with these on the street. A fellow track rat recommended these for a low dust street pad. Icing on the cake - they are <$50!!

They don't yet make the Z23 for the rear of a 981S (although when I called they said it was in the works) - not sure about base 981 fitment. There is another compound with even lower dust (Z16), but I didn't want to step down in performance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
m3guy's post brings up an interesting question, especially since he tracks his car and uses a different set of track pads. Question is just how aggressive of driving can you get away with on ceramic pads, like the Powerstop Z23's or the forthcoming Akebono ceramic pads? My 2013 BS is a daily driver and I am blessed with some epic canyon driving in SoCal, and I do drive "in a spirited manner" on these canyons when safe. I currently have stock brakes and hate the dusting, and stock pads are aggressive on rotors.

I assume ceramic pads are fine for even aggressive street driving this way (I hope?). I do plan to do HPDE and maybe an Autocross, though want the ability to do so and not have brakes be the limiting factor. Are ceramic pads OK for this, or go with something like Cool Carbon brake pads that are supposed to be a good choice for street and HPDE yet reportedly dust less than stock? Any advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
236 Posts
IMHO, the best compromise for performance on street / AX / DE is the stock pads (Galfer, Textar, Porsche labeled). Doesn't help on the dust but if you want one set of pads to do everything, stick with OE.

I would think that any name brand ceramic will handle as much as you can throw at them on the street - canyons, etc. since there is plenty of cool down and max speeds are sane. Ceramics should be fine for AX also, same reasons. I would never do a DE with less braking performance than OE (but have had great results with stock pads at COTA).

Personally, I will switch to ceramic when I can get front and rear and use them for AX but swap to something more suited for DE (I swap wheels anyway, not much more time to change pads)..

HTH,
Tom

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.