Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manual says not to do it, I know. I never have. But curious if anyone else has and had any issues? It's winter here and I've held off on driving my car because I don't want to have to wash it (not fun to do so in near freezing temps). If I could take it through a touchless drive through wash, that would make me much more motivated to take it out of the garage.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I have taken my 981 BS through a touchless. It has not been a problem from what I can see. Normally I take it through a regular car wash. (high end - but not touchless). I've done this maybe 30 times in 18 months. The car looks great and I don't see any problems with doing this.

My Lexus has 135k miles on it and it has gone through this same car wash probably 75 times. It has not been an issue at all. The only damage I have on my Lexus is from the many little tiny chips on the front hood just from driving it every day at high way speeds.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have taken my 981 BS through a touchless. It has not been a problem from what I can see. Normally I take it through a regular car wash. (high end - but not touchless). I've done this maybe 30 times in 18 months. The car looks great and I don't see any problems with doing this.

My Lexus has 135k miles on it and it has gone through this same car wash probably 75 times. It has not been an issue at all. The only damage I have on my Lexus is from the many little tiny chips on the front hood just from driving it every day at high way speeds.
That's good to hear! So no leaks whatsoever in your convertible top? I personally will never take it to a car wash that uses brushes because of scratches, but with the touchless I'm still concerned about the high water pressure.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,746 Posts
I took my Boxster through a car wash several years ago when we were rationing water, no leaks at all. In the future, I think I would use Optimum No Rinse instead of the car wash. I also have a Boars Hair Brush on a long handle for cold weather.

·
Registered
688 Posts
My 2000 BS has being through spray touchless car washes many many times over the years, and there is no damage to the paint from them. It does leak around the windows from the spray, but I keep a small towel to pick up any water.

I do wash it by hand on occasion, but that uses up a lot of time and involves hauling a few buckets of water. Why so seldom? There is a fine for up to $10,000 for washing your car where soap may enter the storm sewer system.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I tried it once, but prefer hand washing it myself. Don't like getting soap on the top. No leaks on the doors even if you use a pressure washer...maybe the seal is tighter than a cayman on the new models.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The problem I find with taking any porsche through these is moisture gets behind the lens for the led's, I prefer just hand washing mine once a week.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
That's good to hear! So no leaks whatsoever in your convertible top? I personally will never take it to a car wash that uses brushes because of scratches, but with the touchless I'm still concerned about the high water pressure.
Never a leak in 30 car washes even with the touchless which has higher water pressure. My normal automatic car wash that I go to doesn't have the brushes but it is also not touchless. As I mentioned it is high end. It uses some kind of rotating soft strips of very soft rubber. From their web site:

An environmentally friendly car wash that uses solar power, clean, recycled water, and no harmful chemicals.
Computerized technology & state of the art equipment cleans multiple vehicles at the same time. The result is a clean, dry vehicle, FAST.

• Enviro-Soft Wash cleans and shines with a combination of computerized sprays and the gentle touch of new technology foam.
  • Underbody Wash and Rust Inhibitor clean and protect the undercarriage of the vehicle.
  • Wheel Cleaning & Tire Shine applications are applied electronically during the wash process for that detailed look.
  • Rain-X Protectant provides added shine and surface protection to glass, chrome, trim and paint.
  • Triple Foam Polish shines and preserves the vehicle’s finish from the elements of seasonal weather conditions.
  • Spot Free Rinse ensures a spot free vehicle every time.
  • Guaranteed Clean or we will rewash the vehicle.

Reactions: 981WC and Mike R.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Going to a high end touchless car wash is fine. It should cost $20 in most places, or $30 in a city. The good places will do things like put painter's tape over the PORSCHE and 'Boxster' lettering on the trunk, so it doesn't get pulled off. You'll notice they power wash the wheels and soap up the car with mitts before it goes into the building.

If you have an x73, it might be a bit low for some car wash operators and they'll just hand wash it for free rather than risk it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I always thought touchless car washes were responsible for all those "yellow" headlights you see on older cars these days. I don't remember seeing so many 10 years ago. I don't have a 981 yet, but I have been hand washing my cars for decades and will probably continue to do so while I can. If there are safe car washes though, that is very tempting indeed.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Mines been through one at dealership no probs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was just driving around the lot of a Porsche Dealership outside of E. Lansing, MI last fall and noted when I drove around back that they were putting a new 981 through a "brushed" :(:((rotating drums with fibers??) car wash unit. Ugh!! :crazy: Had to stop and look twice.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't think car washes yellow headlights...that probably UV from the sun.
Right. Something eats through the clearcoat protection on the headlights (harsh touchless chemicals or brushes from car washes) and then the UV and road debris makes them yellow and pitted. Maybe not, and I need to find a nice high end car wash near me!

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
The car wash at the dealership is touchless and I take my car there on Saturday's for a free car wash. They wash all cabriolets there. No problems.

Reactions: 981WC

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had been debating the same thing but went through our touchless here ..... there were no leaks whatsoever. I normally do the two bucket hand wash myself but the snow and salt this time of year leaves me no choice and we had one day above freezing so off to the car wash I went. It also has an undercarriage spray which is really what I wanted to make sure got done. Daily driver in the winter, it really is my only choice. I have the expel on my headlights and front of car so not to worried about the lights hazing.

Reactions: 981WC

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Washing your 981 by hand is a opportunity to bond with your car that you should not pass on.
In 70F weather, yes. Up until now, I've only hand washed it and have done so many times and semi enjoy it. But in 30F weather, I'll pass. (I recently moved to cold climate.) Do you know how quickly your hand will start hurting after being submerged in a wet wash mitt at that temp?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts