Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello there,

anybody tried installing methanol injection kit? if so would you recommend it? and which one did you go with?
thinking about getting one for my GTS, wanted to hear if any of you had any kind of experience/issues with this mod.

thanks

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
A friend of mine, ex-member here, has a shop in Al-Ain, UAE does this for different brands. A member here did it for his 987 I remember few years back.

I highly stand against such mode.

Sell the car and upgrade to GT4 or Spyder if not a 911 instead. No matter how expensive, still cheaper than losing your engine.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Why would you bother with a naturally aspirated engine? The primary benefit is cooling the intake charge will providing a little fuel as well. For a turbo charged engine it makes some sense but many want to avoid the complexity and potential issues of it fails. For a naturally aspirated engine where it will have minimal impact it just seems silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
saw a 991S using meth injection few days back running high 10sec.. only mod was ipd plenum
you got to admit thats impressive!
i would've trade my GTS for a GT4, but not having PDK is a deal breaker to me.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
saw a 991S using meth injection few days back running high 10sec.. only mod was ipd plenum
The deal breaker should be risking your engine.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have had it for a few years now and really like it. I did it for the increase in octane. My Cayman R no longer pulls timing on hot weather days. California gas is truly terrible. I have the 93 octane tune from softronic, IPD plenum GT3 throttlebody, Snowperformance meth injection, and K&N filter. never had a problem and the car is ridiculously fast. You can find the how-to guide in the articles section.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I call BS. The Turbo S runs 10.6-10.8 with awd, launch control 225 more lb-ft of torque and 160 more hp. I seriously doubt that a naturally aspirated S runs 10.9 or better just by adding methanol which isn't even really a power adder. You could put nitromethane in a 991S and maybe get into the 10's.

- Patrick

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
The deal breaker should be risking your engine.
Lets assume the power increase is true. I'm skeptical of that. If it did provide the power increase, it might be worth it for street use. For a transplant to a new 3.8L 991S engine, Porsche only offers a $5600 core charge for a near new 325 hp 3.4L engine like mine with only 3900 miles. So it wouldn't bother me to add power, risking my engine, because it's nearly worthless when doing the 3.8L transplant anyway. So if it's increased power and I'm willing to go the 3.8L route, risking my engine might be worth it. .

But I too am skeptical. Nitrous injection - maybe. Methanol? Never heard of it except in conjunction with turbo or supercharger.

Now the next question is - anybody heard of or considering nitrous oxide injection??? That would be interesting to hear. ..

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Meth injection has been around for a while, they started using them on NA engines. I don't see any risk of blowing up a naturally aspirated engine because of meth/alcohol injection. The only risk may come on high boost applications which are specifically tuned for meth, and while going hard on the loud pedal, you run out of meth. BOOM.

Even so, there are now several failsafe mechanisms available which lower the boost and change the timing when running out of meth.

On NA engines, in the right concentration, volume and timing of injection, you can recover lost HP due to heat, reduce pinging and detonation and even keep your valves clean.

drive safe.

Reactions: Giantkiller

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Meth injection has been around for a while, they started using them on NA engines. I don't see any risk of blowing up a naturally aspirated engine because of meth/alcohol injection. The only risk may come on high boost applications which are specifically tuned for meth, and while going hard on the loud pedal, you run out of meth. BOOM.

Even so, there are now several failsafe mechanisms available which lower the boost and change the timing when running out of meth.

On NA engines, in the right concentration, volume and timing of injection, you can recover lost HP due to heat, reduce pinging and detonation and even keep your valves clean.

drive safe.
On DFI engines, keeping the valves clean is a good thing. However, water injection will do the same without fear of running out of juice.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
On DFI engines, keeping the valves clean is a good thing. However, water injection will do the same without fear of running out of juice.
Running out of juice is of no real danger if just using it as a "band-aid", instead of having an aggressive tune accounting for meth injection..

Keep in mind I am referring to NA applications.

drive safe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts