Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an email from autogeek about this product. Is it just another new-fangled product meant to suck more money from our pockets that really does nothing more than a good wax? Or is it a legitimate way to noticeably increase paint protection from swirls and other surface-type scratches?

If you've used it, please post a reply about your thoughts related to application and effectiveness.

GYEON Q2 Mohs Ceramic Paint Coating - 30 ml

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It would seem no one has tried this stuff? Maybe I'll be the guinea pig. Once the weather is nicer, I'll give it a try and post my observations here.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
It would seem no one has tried this stuff? Maybe I'll be the guinea pig. Once the weather is nicer, I'll give it a try and post my observations here.
So many ceramic coatings now. I haven't tried any but I'm pretty sure I'll be trying out McKee's 37 Paint Coating in the near future. Plenty of people with decent results and it seems very user friendly.

Any reason why you choose this one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any reason why you choose this one?
I did a "Best Ceramic Coatings" search, and the Gyeon product was listed either at the top or in the Top 3. But I will definitely check out the McKee's coating as well.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I did a "Best Ceramic Coatings" search, and the Gyeon product was listed either at the top or in the Top 3. But I will definitely check out the McKee's coating as well.
Again, there are a lot of good ceramic coatings out there, just depends on who you ask. A detailer friend swears by Modesta. I don't think McKee's is quite in the upper echelon but if you read on Autogeek there many that like it a lot due to its easy DIY process and price. Some coatings are better left up to the professionals to apply. My car being white it's going to be difficult to see high spots, I need something that is forgiving.

I'm assuming you looking to DIY?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm assuming you looking to DIY?
Yep. I never thought there would be a difference in the application process between different coating brands. I will definitely be looking for a product that is user friendly. You mention white being a more forgiving color. I have black. Are application errors more visible on black?

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Yep. I never thought there would be a difference in the application process between different coating brands. I will definitely be looking for a product that is user friendly. You mention white being a more forgiving color. I have black. Are application errors more visible on black?
Yes, application process varies depending on the product. Look on autogeek's store site and read the instructions of each product. Some like Gyeon require you spread the coating and let it initially cure for 12-24 hours then you have to apply another chemical to fully cure. McKee's 37 is spray on paint, spread with applicator sponge and wipe off excess with MF towel. Done.

When it comes to colors, I'm pretty sure black will be the easiest to see where you've applied evenly, too thick or too thin. Thus making it one of the better colors when it comes to application process. I'm afraid of missing a high spot on my white paint and it cures. It's really hard to see what has been applied.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts