Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using adjustable Sway bar link? Do they make a difference in front end "feel"

One of my sway bar links has a busted boot, thinking about going with something like Tarret Adjustable bar end links.

Car is an occasional daily driver, no track or auto cross but willing to put up with harsher ride for better front end feel

Please chime in if you have any experience with similar products

Thank you

·
Registered
136 Posts
Re: Anyone using adjustable Sway bar link? Do they make a difference in front end "fe

One of my sway bar links has a busted boot, thinking about going with something like Tarret Adjustable bar end links.

Car is an occasional daily driver, no track or auto cross but willing to put up with harsher ride for better front end feel

Please chime in if you have any experience with similar products

Thank you
You won't feel the difference. Adjustable droplinks are mainly used with coilovers when height is changed so you can adjust the swaybar preloads.

But if almost same price as oem, why not.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: Anyone using adjustable Sway bar link? Do they make a difference in front end "fe

You won't feel the difference. Adjustable droplinks are mainly used with coilovers when height is changed so you can adjust the swaybar preloads.

But if almost same price as oem, why not.
I recently had my drop links replaced and while I asked, the shop didn't think adjustable was necessary. I am dropped on PSS9 atleast 20mm so Interested to know what the consensus on the pro/cons for lowered cars caymans :)

·
Registered
1,764 Posts

Down links are only needed if you get outside of the standard suspension setup including, corner balance mandates adjustable down links, lowering springs, use of adjustable swaybars, and if you really want to twist the OEM (preload) sway bar to compensate for drivers weight. Otherwise, a waste of money and there is a little rattle from the spherical bearing covered with a rubber protector boot. I have Tarett down links to help with Tarett GT adjustable swaybars and cornerbalance. My car was lowered about 35 mm due to the cornerbalance, which would be an issue with standard downlinks.

The Tarett GT adjustable swaybar makes a big difference is the balance of the car. I tried to correct the inherent understeer with my adjustable shocks, but that really did not solve the understeer. The ability to soften the front bar (5 position holes) and stiffen the rear bar (4 position holes) did the job. The shocks add stiffness (compression) as well in rebound and help a lot when either bar is in full stiffness, like my rear bar is now. The stiffer shock helps settle the car in bumpy back country roads, when a lot of swaybar is used. As far as feel goes, the adjustable sway bar does reduce roll compared to OEM. If you used the stiffest setting front and rear and used a very stiff Ohlin shock adjustment, you could eliminate most corner roll although these settings would only work for smooth surfaces and I am sure the feel would be diminished from OEM. But with sticky tires, Bridgestone RE71R's, the G load would be well managed by the suspension.

The reason I need to over compensate the balance is my front Michelin PSS are getting old, they still have tread, but have lost their grip compared to the rear. My next set of autocross wheels and tires will address this tire footprint issue so I can change to a softer rear swaybar setting and add one hole stiffer in front.

The down links also look racy with the burgundy anodized barrel and a heavy rubber boot over the end link.

·
Registered
810 Posts

I'm running Tarret adjustable swaybar links, but I'm using them with a Tarret GT adjustable swaybar. And yes, it does make a big difference just going one hole to the next! You're unlikely to notice any difference with just the endlinks, though. No noticeable change to ride quality, but it reduces roll in corners, helps plant the rear better, and lets you adjust the oversteer/understeer balance of the car at the limit of traction. I wouldn't bother for a daily driver.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Found this little excerpt as I was researching on the elephant Racing site:
https://www.elephantracing.com/porsche/boxster-cayman/sway-bars-and-drop-links-for-986-987/

The ideal swaybar is completely unloaded at static ride height but stock drop links almost always preload the swaybar since the car doesn’t sit perfectly level due to asymmetries such as driver weight and other factors.

A preloaded swaybar shifts the weight carried by each of the tires, increasing grip on weighted tires at the expense of decreasing grip on un-weighted tires. This shifted weight/grip causes uneven handling in left and right turns, and premature brake lockup since the less-loaded tire locks up first.

These adjustable drop links can completely eliminate swaybar preload by easily adjusting drop link length and therefore swaybar performance will be optimized.

So assuming that the sway bar is pre-loaded (from lowering etc), then there are some benefits. I know renewing the drop link made my car feel a bit tauter :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.