Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to need to pick up a third rad kit for my 981 before next track season (saw 270F oil temps and PDK shifted slowly at end of session in July), but I'd be interested in picking up a used one if someone is selling their car or getting out of the track game. Anyone want to part with one? I don't need it until March or so, so no big rush. I tried to post WTB to classified and I think it somehow ended up on Panjo but did not get linked back to P9?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm going to need to pick up a third rad kit for my 981 before next track season (saw 270F oil temps and PDK shifted slowly at end of session in July), but I'd be interested in picking up a used one if someone is selling their car or getting out of the track game. Anyone want to part with one? I don't need it until March or so, so no big rush. I tried to post WTB to classified and I think it somehow ended up on Panjo but did not get linked back to P9?
Slightly OT, but I’m curious how hard these are to install and what the cost is.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New is around $1k and they're a few hours work plus bleeding the system with a vacuum device. Not fun, but not horrible. I'd rather install a third rad than suspension any day!

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,837 Posts
Good luck finding one used. Before I sold my track prepared Cayman, I removed most of the bolt-on parts and sold them. The few I left installed were the third radiator, suspension, and LSD. These were too much work for too little return to justify the effort, IMO.
It's a straightforward job to install this kit, and I highly recommend it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good luck finding one used. Before I sold my track prepared Cayman, I removed most of the bolt-on parts and sold them. The few I left installed were the third radiator, suspension, and LSD. These were too much work for too little return to justify the effort, IMO.
It's a straightforward job to install this kit, and I highly recommend it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Thanks! That's kind of what I figured, but worth a shot. If not I'll buy new. Not really optional, it seems, based on my temps and on the PDK going into some sort of limp mode.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
36 Posts
Having just installed a 3rd radiator in my 981S I doubt if I or anyone else would remove it when the car is sold. It's simply not worth the time or money to do so.

Just bite the bullet and purchase the kit or the component parts from Schell, SunCoast, Rennline, etc and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
For fun, I looked up the radiator part numbers in PET. The GT4 radiator is over $1K for the part itself vs $239 for the 981 center radiator. I am sure it is heavier duty as the GT4 version is used on all the 2017 911 Turbos as well as the GT4.

V6

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For fun, I looked up the radiator part numbers in PET. The GT4 radiator is over $1K for the part itself vs $239 for the 981 center radiator. I am sure it is heavier duty as the GT4 version is used on all the 2017 911 Turbos as well as the GT4.

V6
That's interesting, I assumed the GT4 and GTS center radiators were the same. Also didn't know the OEM was only $239 for the 981S/GTS. I guess the rest is the kit to allow it to fit a non GTS.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I’m not sure, but the 3rd radiator only reduces engine temps, correct? I’m not sure that would help with your transmission issues.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts

V6
That's interesting, I assumed the GT4 and GTS center radiators were the same. Also didn't know the OEM was only $239 for the 981S/GTS. I guess the rest is the kit to allow it to fit a non GTS.
Having changed this on my GTS when I installed a GT4/Spyder front nose I can confirm they are different beasts, the GT4/Spyder unit (as Voyager said, spec'd for the 991 Turbo) is nearly twice as long as the GTS unit. But be aware that you cannot simply choose one or the other unless you also change a whole host of other parts. The 981 Spyder/GT4 unit has different length hoses, sealing ring, mount and ducting to match the GT4/Spyder nose, it also leans forward connecting to additional ducts to have the flow exit the top just ahead of the frunk lid.

The 981 GTS Boxster/Cayman unit fits behind the standard nose and the exit flow for air is under the car through the center belly pan, it certainly increases the coolant volume and cooling capacity of the system but not nearly as much as the GT4/Spyder unit, then again relatively speaking it is a lot less expensive and requires way less modifications to the front of the car.

This thread profiles what it takes to put the larger system in: http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-and-boxster-modifications/110212-gt4-front-bumper-981s.html#post974498

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The reason that I looked it up was that I was considering a GT4 nose conversion for the Dark Knight and already had the regular center radiator installed. All the on-line drawings make them look alike, and I was hoping to only have to get the mounting brackets and ducting. Having just purchased a 2014 Boxster base, I was considering moving the old radiator to the Boxster, even though it is going to be my daily driver and the 2.7L engine really would not need the extra cooling.

FYI, the X51 powerkit comes with the regular radiator and all the parts there will fit a regular 981, including ducting and hoses.

V6

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
The reason that I looked it up was that I was considering a GT4 nose conversion for the Dark Knight and already had the regular center radiator installed. All the on-line drawings make them look alike, and I was hoping to only have to get the mounting brackets and ducting. Having just purchased a 2014 Boxster base, I was considering moving the old radiator to the Boxster, even though it is going to be my daily driver and the 2.7L engine really would not need the extra cooling.

FYI, the X51 powerkit comes with the regular radiator and all the parts there will fit a regular 981, including ducting and hoses.

V6
Ahhh yes, they do look similar, but it was a real eye-opener and wallet draining experience to go from GTS to GT4 style cooling and front bumper change, especially if you do it by the book with all Porsche parts and no short cuts. The result of my efforts netted me a 100% Porsche result supported by warranty and Porsche Cars Canada, I wouldn't have any other way. I know that there are those out there that have done it differently and have a working solution, my experience is based on factory parts designed for the 981 to work as a complete package so the list is substantial and expensive.

I don't have the list of parts for the X51 power-kit, but it sounds pretty much like the same cooling system that they put into the 981 Cayman/Boxster GTS

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

V6
Interesting. Are you certain a X51 center radiator for the 991 fits 981S/GTS? A member here PM'd me about a 991 radiator assembly.

EDIT: If so, I wonder how all vendors seem to price 991 center rad kits at 1/2 the 981 kits? This PET shows the part numbers as the same, but I can't find the center air duct: https://www.porsche911.lt/files/981/E_981_KATALOG.pdf.

LATER EDIT: the center duct, which is missing from 991 kits, is $300+ at many vendors and over $350 MSRP. That's the difference.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I have a X51 parts list. I scanned it in and will try to upload the radiator parts here this evening as well as the 981 PET parts list.

The center duct is in section 802-01 of the PET, part of the bumper cover parts.

V6

Attachments

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Here is a list of the parts that came off my Boxster GTS, note that the ducts might be different to match a Cayman bumper cover.

99110603702 GTS Center Radiator
99110623701 radiator inner support
99110633701 radiator outer support
99110663901 Radiator hose
99110663902 Radiator hose
98157514108 Center duct
98157522200 Right duct
98157522100 Left duct

Contrast to the parts for the GT4/Spyder cooling:

Refrigerant Cool Center Rad. 1 991-106-138-01 GT4/Spyder center radiator
Sealing Frame 1 991-106-338-01 radiator parts
Rubber Mount 2 991-106-538-02 radiator parts
Rubber Mount 2 991-106-537-01 radiator parts
Coolant Hose 1 981-106-638-90 radiator parts
Coolant Hose 1 981-106-639-90 radiator parts
Air Routing 1 981-575-321-80-1E0 Left side duct
Air Routing 1 981-575-322-80-1E0 Right side duct
Air Routing 1 981-575-141-80-1E0 Center forward air duct
AS Radiator Frame 1 991-504-487-90-1E0 Center rad frame
Hexagon Nut 4 999-084-638-01 Center rad frame nuts, not needed if you reuse your originals
AS Exhaust Air G 1 991-504-489-90-1E0 Center upper air duct

Reactions: PorschePh1le
1 - 20 of 26 Posts