Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had the dealer install the Porsche sport exhaust on my '10 CS and I don't notice the dreaded cutout between 20-40 mph (see thread below). I've rolled down the windows and listened carefully, but I can't detect any closing of the exhaust baffles at all. When the PSE is on, the exhaust note starts low from a standstill and rises consistently in volume all through the high gears (quite lovely I might add).

Does anyone have a new Cayman with PSE who can attest to this fact? Do your baffles open/close while driving? Maybe Porsche changed something for Gen 2.

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxs...0-sports-exhaust-pse-speed-sensor-bypass.html

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think when you're accellerating from a standstill through the 20-40mph range it doesn't close, but when you're just cruising at those speeds I think it does go into silent mode.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Redbear,

I've been considering this vs a remus system. I have been leaning toward the Remus because I didn't think the PSE sound increase was worth the price. I have a 2010 also so your impressions would be greatly appreciated. A sound clip would be beyond awesome as I haven't been able to find anyone with a PSE on a Gen2 cayman...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I highly recommend the PSE on the Gen.2, especially if you don't want to bug the neighbors at night. The silent mode seems more silent than stock exhaust without PSE, helps make it civil when needed, and the open mode is nice and louder than stock, but not too loud. Also, I think it does affect the torque curve as I do feel more power with it open, than when its closed. And like I said, when you're flooring it from a standstill, there is no cutout. Perhaps they did make some modifications on the PSE for the Gen.2...
Does anybody know if the part numbers for the PSE are different for Gen.1 vs. Gen.2 ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
That flat spot you mention is based on some European noise law and they figure during that rpm range it should be less noisy. I'm not making this up, maybe someone knows the facts around this.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A sound clip would be beyond awesome as I haven't been able to find anyone with a PSE on a Gen2 cayman...
I'm going a DE event next weekend (weather permitting), so I'll see if I can get a clip of the PSE then.

The silent mode seems more silent than stock exhaust without PSE, helps make it civil when needed, and the open mode is nice and louder than stock, but not too loud.
I'm finding that the silent mode even seems a little louder than stock in the lower range. I especially notice this when some object like a wall or car is on the left side of the vehicle. Sounds a little rawer than the stock.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Redbear,
I am glad you brought this up. I finally have my car and 1900+ miles on it. I noticed the same thing. NO CUTOUT that I am aware of. I thought maybe I was missing it. It is louder with PSE on and it seems that way whether I am accelerating hard or not through the supposed cutout zone.

I did my first autocross yesterday and had lots of good feedback about the sound from observers. They said it sounded great. No drone either. I am happy with it!

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Anyone got a definitive answer on this??

I'm currently in talks to get the cut out removed but I would obviously be keen to find out whats actually going on with the valves before putting myself through the hassle.

cheers :)
I will take it out in a couple of hours with this in mind and listen carefully for it and post results.
UPDATE: Sorry, I got sidetracked this afternoon and will have to post this Wednesday.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I will take it out in a couple of hours with this in mind and listen carefully for it and post results.
UPDATE: Sorry, I got sidetracked this afternoon and will have to post this Wednesday.
Nice one, I'd be keen to know your findings. I often drop the window to try and detect this apparent closing around 30 mph.... I know it does happen because my Porsche guy tells me so.... they have offered to disable it but I lose the ability to go to quiet mode. Just really want to know if having the baffles open all the time makes a notable difference to day to day driving i.e. more growl :burnout:

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Went out for a 8-10 mile drive just to listen and could not detect any cutout. I don't know if European spec cars are the same but I wouldn't spend any money to disable the cutout unless you hear it and it bothers you. Personally, I cannot detect any cutout. I like PSE on and it does not seem to be too loud to bother anyone.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We have a quorum. I guess that settles it then, the PSE cutout problem is gone in Gen 2 cars. We can now lay this matter to rest and go out and enjoy our vehicles as they were meant to be enjoyed.

Thanks, gentlemen.

·
Registered
132 Posts
We have a quorum. I guess that settles it then, the PSE cutout problem is gone in Gen 2 cars. We can now lay this matter to rest and go out and enjoy our vehicles as they were meant to be enjoyed.

Thanks, gentlemen.
This is great to know as I have just recently added PSE to my MY2011 build spec and I was concerned about the reported cutout. I have investigated the various techniques to eliminate the cutout while still retaining the on/off functionality but it required some re-wiring, external switches, etc. messy.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but does the PSE revert to quiet mode everytime the car is turned off like SC or can it be left to default valves open all the time without pushing the button?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Turns off every time! I like the PSE even tho it provides no extra power.:cheers:
Thanks, that's what I thought... I wish it would stay on all the time or at least have the option for the service department to program it that way. :crazy:

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm going a DE event next weekend (weather permitting), so I'll see if I can get a clip of the PSE then.

I'm finding that the silent mode even seems a little louder than stock in the lower range. I especially notice this when some object like a wall or car is on the left side of the vehicle. Sounds a little rawer than the stock.
Redbear...

Please post some sound clips!!! Especially without the cutout I may follow your lead and pay for my dealer to install it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
btw .. I recently got PSE for my gen I and even I struggled to spot the cutout with the windows rolled down. I thought i was missing something...

·
Registered
368 Posts
The PSE does "cut out" as you call it (certainly in Europe) I have 2010 model and with PSE engaged if I am throttling through 20-40 then the sound remains but as soon as I lift off the throttle and cruise it quietens down between these speeds but it still more bassey than the standard fit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.