Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 CaymanS, 21,000 miles. Car has been sitting for over a week; went to start it this morning and it cranks but doesn't catch. Try a few more times, same thing. Stop, remove the key, wait a minute or so, this time it catches and starts with a cloud of white smoke. Car idles rough, settles down and I drive off. Starts with no problems a few hours later, car seem fine now no issues. Any reason for concern?
Thanks,
Mike

·
On Probation
582 Posts
you can try hooking up a good scan tool and check to see if the ecm has a history code in it for long cranking time

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
It's been quite cold here in PA and the car sat for over a week which does take its toll on a battery at times. I'd say really nothing to worry about but if it happens again, especially in the next few days take it in and have it checked.

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
2006 CaymanS, 21,000 miles. Car has been sitting for over a week; went to start it this morning and it cranks but doesn't catch. Try a few more times, same thing. Stop, remove the key, wait a minute or so, this time it catches and starts with a cloud of white smoke. Car idles rough, settles down and I drive off. Starts with no problems a few hours later, car seem fine now no issues. Any reason for concern?
Thanks,
Mike
That cloud of smoke happened for a reason. Though this is not entirely unsual on horizontally opposed flat engines, it is more likely if your engine is overfilled with oil. I'd check the oil level. If it doesn't happen again, don't worry yourself. If it keeps happening, it's time to visit the dealership.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That makes sense; just before trying to start the engine for the first time I checked the oil and it was all the way up to the top of the scale. After sitting for more than a week all the oil drained back into the pan I guess. I think I am OK but will try starting it again later today. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
After sitting for a while they will be more difficult to start and it will idle rough.Like you said try it again the day after a good run and see if it happens again.If it does may be a potential problem if it does not,then ok.........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts