Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends,
Hi. I have a 2011 987.2 Cayman with the 2.9L engine and PDK. Bought it last spring with 58K miles and have driven the car nearly every day since without issue—it runs great. Yesterday I noticed an oil drop on my garage floor. Never had one before, so today I looked around to try and figure out what's going on. I don't know the name of the part where the oil is dripping from beneath the car but it's a connection point for a large tube leading from the plenum/throttle body (pics below).

I immediately came on here and read several old threads on tracking oil leaks like this and they all seem to point upstream to the AOS. So, I pulled the hose on the AOS. There is definitely some oil collecting in there, but I'm not sure what that means. As noted above the car runs like a champ, with no signs of smoking, oil loss, hesitation, rough idle, lagging, etc. I'm a fairly handy do-it-yourselfer and have no problem replacing the AOS but not an expert mechanic and have no idea if that's the right place to start. Any and all insights and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
George

P.S. The sequence of the pics goes from below the car to the engine bay above, a close up from above, and then two of the AOS hose.

Automotive tire Automotive design Tread Automotive exterior Motor vehicle
Hood Auto part Automotive exterior Metal Pipe
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive tire Bumper
Automotive tire Coil Rim Gas Carbon
Tire Automotive tire Light Tread Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I either posted this in the wrong spot or I'm universally despised. For peace of mind, I'm going with the former. :)

Anyway, for anyone interested, I replaced the AOS yesterday. That was pretty easy, thanks to old posts here and YouTube videos. Toughest part, of course, was the Rubik's Cube-like challenge of removing the old part and inserting the new one. That's a head scratcher for sure.

It was lovely today and I went out for a two-hour spin along one of my favorite local mountain loops. The car still runs great, so I guess I didn't screw anything up. Will be watching closely to see if the little oil drip that prompted the AOS replacement has been resolved. If not, I'll keep digging.

Best,
George

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just replaced mine, and while in there, walnut blasted my intake valves (64k miles). When I took the plenum apart to remove the intake manifolds, there was quite a bit of oil sitting in the plenum gaskets/clamps. My hoses had oil in them too. Could have been either of those. Cut my old AOS apart, and it looked fully functional and new :/

One thing I’ve always heard to be cautious of is not overfilling the oil during changes. I try to leave on little tick on the measuring bar open. I’ve had to drain oil many times :( I don’t recall the reasoning on the overfill problem. To fully disclose, my last oil change was way overfilled because I wasn’t paying attention. 5 trips under the car to get it to the right level. That sucked.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hope that clears things up for you. I think I may be good to go, but am planning on cleaning the plenum and air intake areas this weekend—mostly out of curiosity. Just changed my oil and filter and was very careful about the level.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts