Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Porschiste
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help.

I just bought a Cayenne and expected much of the PCM functions would work as they do in our Macan....which is certainly the case save for Apple CarPlay which I just can't get to work. When I connect my iPhone 6s (using an Apple cable), the phone (already paired over bluetooth), connects as an iPod. The owner's manual states that you cannot use CarPlay if the phone is connected as an iPod - except that the instructions to change this do not correspond to what happens in my car (see attached pic) - When i open the device manager the only option I appear to have for my phone is to connect or disconnect bluetooth. I can't find any "smartlink" option to allow me to toggle between using my phone as an iPod or CarPlay.

Am I missing something here? My phone starts CarPlay without any problems in the Macan....so I'm stumped.

Screen Shot 2018-08-24 at 16.14.24.jpg

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have a stupid question: I hear a lot about Apple CarPlay but do not have a clue as to what it is or what it's supposed to do. Can you tell me?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I have a stupid question: I hear a lot about Apple CarPlay but do not have a clue as to what it is or what it's supposed to do. Can you tell me?

Thanks
CarPlay makes some of your iPhone apps available on your in-car display. The apps still run on your phone, but some input and some output is available in-car.

For instance you can see Apple maps, get turn by turn directions and select from your favorites list for destinations, but you can’t type in an address. If you get an iMessage it will read the message out to you and you can reply with your voice (and have it transcribed) and sent, but you will not be able to type anything or even select a list of recipients from a list.

I have it on my F150 and I really like it.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I don't know a lot about this but I think you have paired your phone to the car with bluetooth, so that is the default for the car. Try turning the bluetooth off on your phone then connecting the phone via Apple cable to the car. Then start the car and see what happens with the connect functions. Good luck!

·
Porschiste
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to close this one. The simple answer is that my car was not equipped with Apple Car Play hence the reason it would not work. I can still listen to Spotify over bluetooth so I'm fine as far as that goes and I have to admit the Porsche Navigation system on this iteration of the PCM is the first one I've encountered that can actually pronounce the French names of the streets in my neighbourhood correctly - nothing more annoying that hearing Apple Maps make a mess of the name of the street you live on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts