Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Cayman S, interested in more power at a reasonable price.
My local Porsche dealer is now offering the APR flash for $899 plus 1.5 hrs labor - thats reasonable.
My problem is that the APR website (the one the dealer uses) shows the charts with a 25HP and 40 lbs torque - these charts are with the $3500 exhaust as well!
What is the improvement, if any, with the stock exhaust?

·
Registered
175 Posts
You might look into the Softronic software. They are a sponser & are running a winter special. For a little over $700 you get their ecu flash & a durametric cable (allows you to diagnose & reset your service light. BTW installation is easy. You upload the data from your ecu, they tweek it & send it back.

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
I'm not sure about the 1.5 hours of labor. It only takes all of 15 minutes to do a flash. I also agree with Rockhouse, I would look at Softronic as well.

-Moto

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Go with around 10 hp as a general gain, but it could be lower and could be 50% higher dependent on your car and other variables.

Softronic offers a package of intake mod and flash to provide some good gains at the top end, but you could also look at an exhaust where independent dynos of exhausts have shown 15-30+ hp gains (dependent on price and other mods).

The fact that you can DIY with Softronic is a major appeal and should not be overlooked. There are also other tuners out there that can offer remaps so do your homework before choosing.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Don't bother with APR.....Softronics is the way to go. You can install it yourself
and save the labor charge and can flash back to stock anytime.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Well, I think we should be clear.... it's the Porsche dealer who is charging the 1.5hr of labor, not APR. What the dealer charges should have no reflection on the performance of the product itself. BTW, if you care to read my opinion about chip tuning - that it's a commodity business (i.e., most do the same job, but with different marketing messages), you can read about it here: http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-modifications/37815-fvd-brombacher-software.html

That said, the 1.5hr labor charge may well be justified if dealer continues honor the factory warranty after the flash. I mean, how many wouldn't pay a $170 "peace of mind" tax if your dealer will warranty the car if something goes wrong with the DME during the factory warranty period? This is why CPO is so popular & a win-win for consumers and dealers - used car buyers gets extended warranty, dealer gets a nice profit for selling it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2006 Cayman S, interested in more power at a reasonable price.
My local Porsche dealer is now offering the APR flash for $899 plus 1.5 hrs labor - thats reasonable.
My problem is that the APR website (the one the dealer uses) shows the charts with a 25HP and 40 lbs torque - these charts are with the $3500 exhaust as well!
I live in Florida too. Who is your dealer that is offering this. Curious b/c my local dealer frowns on aftermarket mods. Would also be very curious if they offer this or other mods without affecting your warranty. That would be great, and worth the drive to get stuff done there.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses, guys.

* The dealer is Porsche of Melbourne
* The APR is listed as a modifaction, and may void the warranty. I only have 5000 miles of warranty left
* APR will not give me an answer for the gains with a stock exhaust - "the software is calibrated with the catback"
* I am going to continue my research - Softronic looks like a better option.

I really like the sound of the stock exhaust, and don't want to go any louder

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got some more info, and have had the dealer do the APR ECU flash.

The improvements with a stock exhaust are to 310hp (plus 15) and 279 ft/lbs (plus 29).
It can be returned within 30 days for a full refund (excluding labor).

Will keep you posted on the results

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an APR flash on my A4 turbo and am very happy. I wonder how much different all the 987 flashes are from company to company. One good thing I loved about apr is that you can turn the flash off w/ the cruise control buttons and lock the dealer from seeing it so it wont void your warranty.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love it!
The car is noticeably smoother throught the rev range, and my but dyno feels the extra torque from 2000rpm onwards.
Can't say whether or not I feel the extra HP, but the torque is great.

Now I am seriously considering the APR catback exhaust...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts