Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm thinking about putting H&R coilovers on my 987.1 since I have a leaking shock. Is this something most owners do themselves? I do my own oil and brakes and I've done some turbo work on my 1G DSM. Most shops want to charge 8 hours labour and that seams a bit excessive. I have a hydraulic jack, jack stands and chock. No lift. I would be borrowing a spring compressor and getting the alignment done by a shop afterwards.

thanks on advance for the help!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Depends entirely on your mechanical ability, but this sounds like something you can do, given the proper tools. Will need the proper torque wrench for example. I have not done an install on a Porsche, but some manufacturers recommend changing certain bolts / nuts if removed, so that warrants investigation. I'd probably do one axle at a time (having the entire car up on four jackstands at home always makes me uncomfortable).

There is a chance your toe will be seriously out of wack after the initial installation, so be very careful when driving to the alignment shop.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Depends entirely on your mechanical ability, but this sounds like something you can do, given the proper tools. Will need the proper torque wrench for example. I have not done an install on a Porsche, but some manufacturers recommend changing certain bolts / nuts if removed, so that warrants investigation. I'd probably do one axle at a time (having the entire car up on four jackstands at home always makes me uncomfortable).

There is a chance your toe will be seriously out of wack after the initial installation, so be very careful when driving to the alignment shop.

I have a 981 DIY step by step to changing your struts...its a bit easier on the 987..because you dont have to take the rear assembly out..but its about 80 percent the same.. its in Schnell Autosports Home OEM, Genuine & Aftermarket Parts | Performance + Racing | Accessories on the blog section..

its in our lower left of our main page..

Lemon

p.s. still having the boys working on migrating my 9 articles here..

·
Registered
865 Posts
Having done this a few times, I wouldn't consider doing it without a lift. No way you can do it in 4 hours, there's probably an hour removing the plastic in the hatch if you haven't done it before. A ball joint fork will be useful. I know Bilstein gives a minimum dimension to set ride height and would expect H & R to do the same. 8 hours quoted by the shop seems fair especially if it includes the necessary alignment.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Having done this a few times, I wouldn't consider doing it without a lift. No way you can do it in 4 hours, there's probably an hour removing the plastic in the hatch if you haven't done it before. A ball joint fork will be useful. I know Bilstein gives a minimum dimension to set ride height and would expect H & R to do the same. 8 hours quoted by the shop seems fair especially if it includes the necessary alignment.
You clearly have a load more experience of this than I do. The time of around 4 hours I gave was a guestimate having not fitted coilovers to a Cayman, plus I'd overlooked the time it takes to remove the rear plastics if not done previously. :)

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
It's quite a straight forward job and shouldn't take more than about 4 hours ...
You clearly have a load more experience of this than I do. The time of around 4 hours I gave was a guestimate having not fitted coilovers to a Cayman, plus I'd overlooked the time it takes to remove the rear plastics if not done previously. :)
A learning moment for us all: if you don't know, don't post possibly misleading information based on an uninformed guess. Such posts are not helpful and diminish the integrity of the forum. Thankfully, Bill set us straight based on his actual knowledge and experience.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would definitely do it myself if not for the plastic covers over the rear shocks, im not worried about the coilover settings and alignment as much as i am stripping or damaging any parts of the suspension. I have all the correct tools, just no lift. I'll probably get a shop to instal it. does $100/hour labour seem like the norm to you guys? its what every porsche shop here charges.

·
Registered
810 Posts
The fronts aren't too bad, but there's a lot of work involved for the rear. You're looking at a full day of labor for the rears alone, even for a pro shop. Got a few weekends to kill?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Like most of the guys have said here, it's not that bad a job EXCEPT for the interior you have to remove for the rear hatch to reach the shocks. That SUCKED. However, if the 981 doesn't have that to contend with go for it! It's not too hard if you have basic mechanics tools, a spring compressor and know your way around a car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If I were to do it again myself, I'd do the fronts, and leave the rears with the shop and then have them do the alignment. Save yourself at least a hundred bucks and it's easy.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but figured I'd weigh in with another anecdote.

I just finished putting Bilstein Damptronics on my PASM equipped 06 Cayman. Much longer install than I expected. I put PSS9s on my s2000 a few years back, and that was just a long afternoon project. The Cayman was probably 15+ hours, spread over multiple weekends.

Removal of interior panels was a few hours honestly just to get to everything. Yeah, I was being cautious, because plastic can snap. Next part was figuring out how to the struts out. Even after reading all the articles/guides/tips/hints on the net, it wasn't automatic. Fronts were easier than the rear, but I needed a helper. Even with spring compressors, I couldn't figure out a way to make the strut short enough to clear the fender solo. With a buddy helping, it was a snap.

The rears took me quite a while to sort out. I wanted to avoid disconnect the halfshafts to save work, and several people have posted that they removed theirs without disconnecting them. But even after disconnecting the trailing arm and lower control arm, I couldn't lower the hub enough to get the strut out. I eventually caved and pulled the halfshafts and they came out easily. Once I did that, it was relatively straightforward, although it was still quite a bit of work...

One caution I will give - drive the car a bit before putting the interior panels back over the shock towers. Despite tightening down the top nuts before installing, one of the rears still managed to be a little loose and the washer would rattle just a bit occasionally. Fortunately, I had not reinstalled the cover, so it was very simple to tighten. I'd have been pretty upset if I had to tear the interior apart again to get to it.

Complicating things, I also managed to kill my battery while working on the car. Yeah it was pretty old to start with. When I realized I was running it down, I put it on a maintainer, but it never came back fully. So I got the added experience of the christmas tree dash - PSM failure, PASM failure, check engine visit workshop, etc. New battery took care of all that.

Final consideration - new springs tend to settle a bit. You generally want them on the car for several days before you do the alignment, otherwise you may find the car drops lower and the alignment needs to be redone. I've only driven mine a handful of miles, and the alignment feels extremely sketchy and darty. The toe is WAAAAAAY off when you change the ride height. You can feel the tires scrubbing through your hands on the steering wheel. Don't put many miles on in this condition, unless you want a headstart on your next set of tires.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I also installed my KW Coilovers myself. I agree. Took 14 hours (6 hrs Sat, 8 hrs Sun). I disconnected the shafts on the rear. Otherwise you don't have the clearance. I roughed in the alignment and had a shop properly align. Worked fine just a lot of work for a weekend mechanic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts