Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question...Im on my second Cayman now, used to have a 2.7 now a 3.4 Gen II. Ive also had about 14 other cars over the years from Audis to Mercs to BMWs, Opels, Mazdas, Mitsus, Mazdas etc etc etc...

AND I never seemed to have as many small nicks on my paint, cracks in the windows etc etc as I have had with the Porsches. I really dont get it...maybe Im paying more attention to my last two cars with regards to looking for these things but it really just seems like theyre more fragile on the outside for these things then the other cars.

Driving wise....although the Porsches are the more powerfull cars Ive had, for day to day use etc you cant often make that much of a difference so it cant be something to do with my driving....I wouldnt be suprised if a butterfly sat on my hood and left a non removable mark. Colourwise...mines black but some of my previous ones have been too...

Is this just me? I love these cars but Im getting a bit frustrated at this....(especially if you then factor in the cost to touch this stuff up!)

·
Registered
992 Posts
I think almost every car forum think its car has "soft paint and windshields." Maybe we should be complaining about the hard rocks instead ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honestly...I dont think other car forums complain about this...definately other stuff (that we thankfully dont have to complain about!)...but it just seems a little strange to create a true sportscar and then skimp (or at least not think/do something about) the paint/windshield.

I drove from London to near Cardiff today to do a track session and when I got to the track the amount of new little scuffs and marks I found was incredible!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Go to the BMW forums and listen to them complain about the soft windshields. I do know that when I drove to the train station and back this morning, I heard a lot of rocks hitting the car. This is a few days after a downpour cleaned all the snow and sand off the road.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I remember a friend of mine who was really into Porsches telling me years ago (30) that the German cars used softer windshield glass than the American cars. The philosophy behind this was that they would show LOTS of little specs from impacts but not crack/shatter and form large defects. Now, I have no idea if this is really true or just BS.

I did have a black 2000 C2 and the paint chipped like crazy. I have since had a GT silver and white Porsches which showed far less chipping. I think that there must be a tradeoff in paint chip resistance to appearance or some other quality because Ford uses chip resistant paint on the front of their trucks. I had a 2001 Expedition which didn't chip at all vs. other vehicles that I have had.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just bought the last 2.9 09 on the lot last week ,and right now I'm
looking to put that 3-m coating on.The last car was a red Boxter and
the front hood looked like it had freckles, there was so many chips I just
quit caring.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I just bought the last 2.9 09 on the lot last week ,and right now I'm
looking to put that 3-m coating on.The last car was a red Boxter and
the front hood looked like it had freckles, there was so many chips I just
quit caring.
Excellent idea :cheers: (the 3m clear bra)

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
Two factors not mentioned contribute to front end and windshield chips. Our cars sits lower than most others on the road so road debris from other vehicles is more likely to impact hood and windshield, and our cars may be driven faster (on street and track) resulting in higher debris impact speeds and more damage. Tailgating is also a factor if that's your habit.

The glass is indeed softer than e.g., American car glass, making it less prone to cracking, but more likely to chip. Porsche considers the windshield a consumable item, like brake pads.

I gave my car the clear protective plastic treatment before I picked it up from the dealer. Now 3+ years later I've no chips to the front end, although if you look hard there are a number of dimples in the clear bra (and a small impact rip to the headlight protector). No question I'd need a re-paint and a new headlight without the bra.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
I have not found the paint to be particularly soft, or prone to scuffs and scratches, not any more or less than any other cars we've owned. I did have all the vulnerable parts and areas covered with a clear bra solution from Premier (cheap plug) back when the car was new, so that has helped. I think though that there are just some areas of the car that will get beat to hell over time; the entire front end for instance.

I agree though about the windshield being prone to nics and pitting. I have not done it on the Cayman yet, but on other cars I've had the windshield replaced once the pits got too annoying. A new windshield makes the car feel new again!

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Hmmm...

I just had a thought- why not clear plastic bra on the windshield? It would be better at keeping the wipers from doing that 'ratchet' thing they do when they're idle for too long, and protect the glass from these impacts. Maybe somebody could come up with thin 'tear-offs' a la Race Cars!

...or are there regulations against this?
...or is this an impractical idea for another reason?

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
. . . I just had a thought- why not clear plastic bra on the windshield? It would be better at keeping the wipers from doing that 'ratchet' thing they do when they're idle for too long, and protect the glass from these impacts. Maybe somebody could come up with thin 'tear-offs' a la Race Cars!

Google "windshield protection film" and you will find several products of this type - I personally don't have any experience with them, but I'm wondering why they aren't more widely used.

I might consider it myself if I ever have to get my windshield replaced (it's already too pitted now to worry about :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Hmmm...

I just had a thought- why not clear plastic bra on the windshield? It would be better at keeping the wipers from doing that 'ratchet' thing they do when they're idle for too long, and protect the glass from these impacts. Maybe somebody could come up with thin 'tear-offs' a la Race Cars!

Ask, and you shall receive...

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-chat/6842-windshield-protection-film-soft-windshield.html

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-modifications/6183-3m-windshield-protector.html

Now that Santa Fe has flown the coop, someone has to do this, I guess.

brad

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Has anyone got any good comparisson pics of a car with and without a clear bra? I know its best to see it first hand but dont know anyone around me that has it on any car....

·
Registered
444 Posts
I did a lot of research on the windshield 3M thing and concluded that it was not worth it. I read people that tried and it wasn't perfectly clear to look through and was not natural.

Also, my 3M installer tried it a while ago and dropped it. The wipers left streak marks and surface scratches on the windshield due to being used on a dirty windshield.

Get the 3M treatment. I had the dealer do the front mask (part of the quarter panels, half the hood, inside the door handle holes & whole bumper) when I bought it new. A few dasy later I wasn't satisfied that behind the wheels sand was being thrown there so I took it in to a 3M dealer.....he spent almost 4 hours doing the other vulnerable areas.

I got the whole rocker panel and the area above under the door, behind the front wheels, behind the rear wheels and the bottom of the bumper, the whole air vent area, the edges of the air vent, the edges of the doors, headlights, fog lights & a small piece on the rear trunk where I close it.

All in all....I no longer fear driving my new car in on the sandy side streets .....I do still drive slowly to protect the 3M...lol

3M is the best protection for our soft paint or the hard rocks

·
Registered
444 Posts
Has anyone got any good comparisson pics of a car with and without a clear bra? I know its best to see it first hand but dont know anyone around me that has it on any car....

Pics with a clear bra and without would look exactly the same. Mine on Meteor Gray is impossible to see at cetain angles and on camera (unless one has a nice professional camera and is good) the clear bra will be hard to see. The only area that stands out in the sun at a ceratin angle is the line on the hood.

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
Only downside to the clear bra is the price. You can get your front bumper resprayed a couple or more times for the same price as a partial kit.

And the clear bras don't last forever either. They will yellow over time. Probably not noticeable on a dark car, but definitely on a white one.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Every German car I've owned from 7 different models of BMW, Mercedes and Porsche had rock chips and cracked windsheilds.I've had GM and Ford cars and never had a problem. I wish that the American car companys would spend the same kind of detail on their interiors as on their exterior and I would stick to buying American.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I've owned a lot of different cars. So far my experience with the CS is that the paint is really good; better than most. The clearcoat is really good and so far seems less susceptible to scratching. Could be that I'm being a bit more anal with this car but maybe not. We'll see after a year or so.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have already replaced my windshield due to a star/ chip. Most of the accumulated damage to my paint is on the front. I am going to try the Dr. Color Chip route in a few months when the weather is warmer. If the results are acceptable I will work on a few other parts of the car.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts